"Used" iPod Classic prices coming down

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by cartologist, Feb 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

As luck would have it, I've been listening to my 160 for the last few hours and happened across this thread! LOD connected to my Fiio E12 amp into my Dunu DN1000 iem's. She's got 6600+ tunes and always set on random/no repeat. I've got a 5th gen in the car, tellyawhat, these bad boys do the trick for me, I'll be buying another one soon!

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

how many gigs did the iPod Classic go up to?

3. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I still have an iPod Classic 160GB (?7th Gen; the last one before it was discontinued) which has my whole iTunes library at 256K AAC as it won't all fit in ALAC. I have an iPod Video from 2006, originally a 60GB model but now sporting a 128GB SD card courtesy of the iFlash mod. I don't use them very often any more, truth be told. I have an iPhone 7 128GB, which runs Apple Music and also has at any one time 50-80GB of music in FLAC played via Onkyo HF Player. Depending on circumstances, I might use my headphone amp and DAC with my Oppo PM3s or either of my sets of Bluetooth cans with it. Apple's reluctance to support AptX in iOS is a shame, as I am currently listening to my Bowers and Wilkins PX cans via my Mac using AptX and they sound pretty good.

The resurgence of the dedicated digital audio player is a good thing, IMHO, and when one or both of the iPods die I may be in the market for one with a decent headphone amp built in and Aptx Bluetooth so I have the same playback options. Won't take a great improvement in micro SD card capacity for me to be able to get all of my music in FLAC / DSF on one dedicated machine which would be very nice indeed.

As far as the iPod Touch goes, my wife has one and it has always been unreliable and prone to crashing and locking up. If Apple were interested they could fix this and have a killer DAP but they seem to prefer a wireless / multifunction world these days.

160GB was the maximum officially. If you are prepared to take on dismantling them and modifying them, the later models will support 256GB of flash memory via iTunes, more with RockBox firmware, and the earlier ones will support 512GB or more even in iTunes. When I sync my iPod Video in iTunes it appears on screen as an iPod 128GB even though they never made such a model.

4. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I had a 5th or 6th generation Classic. It was the last to have a hard drive rather than a flash drive. The hard drive froze years ago but I kept it. Then I started reading it was particularly good sounding because of the DACs Apple was using. It did sound much bettter than any of my subsequent phones.

I recently bought one of those upgrade kits. I got a little Board that adapts the iPod to accept a flash drive, a 125 gig memory card and a new battery. I looked at the how to videos and I bought the little tools to open the iPod case.

It went terribly wrong. The tools were no match for the case, they literally broke off. It had been sealed with some kind of glue. I had to use some thin metal pieces I had in my basement. When I finally got the case opened it was bent and distorted. The little cable that connected the battery had been torn loose at the board. It is unrepairable! I’m out $175.00.

Normally I’m very handy and I’ve changed CPUs, harddrive, and video/sound cards in computers many times!

I’m looking around now for a different brand personal music player. Forget Apple they don’t support older products and they screw the customers.

The whole slowing down older phones when you upgrade the software was symptomatic if their corporate ethos. I told people for years that’s what was happening because it was blatantly obvious.

Sorry for the rant, anyone have suggestions? I’m looking at Fiio and the “new” Sony Walkman. Sony was the originator of personal music players. They “invented” and popularized the whole concept. Apple just applied it to a different technology.

5. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Sneaky Pete wrote the following as part of a post:

Sony still makes good audio players but they don't seem to advertise them much anywhere. I've only found out about them via a bit of websurfing and seeing them at my local electronics stores. Added to that is the way they name their players, using a set of cryptic-appearing letters and numbers instead of something more catchy and easier to remember.

6. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I came across this video that shows why a flip phone is better than a smartphone:

cartologist likes this.
  7. timind

timind phorum rezident

As stated earlier, my 5th gen now has 512gb via two sd cards and my 7th gen has 768gb via one 512gb card and one 256 card.

Here's a chart that shows how many tracks itunes will support per model: iFlash-Compatibility – iFlash.xyz

I intend to get another 7th gen as a backup. Honestly though, the two ipods I have will probably outlive me.

8. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Yes it makes you wonder what they’re thinking. :)

I wouldn’t mind getting one that supports APTX Bluetooth but I want it for $250-$300.

9. Sevoflurane

I feel your pain. Despite iFixit suggesting the Video was fairly straightforward, and despite me being pretty comfortable with the innards of a computer, it was difficult, and, although the headphone out is fine, if I use the dock connector for playback the left channel cuts out from time to time, which I suspect is a result of me causing damage opening the case. The ribbon cable connector inside is too small for these astigmatic 46 year old eyeballs. The Classic is said to be much harder to open so I am leaving it well alone! One of my colleagues is a hand surgeon and used his operating loupes (fiendishly expensive magnifying glasses) to change the battery on his iPhone, so I will get him to have a go at the Classic when the time comes.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  10. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Haven’t used my 120 much in years but just hooked it up to my new CD player last night via its USB connector and it has never sounded better. Mostly ALAC files.

timind likes this.
  11. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl Thread Starter

My first player was a Nomad Zen 20 GB, which at the time was enough to hold all of my music at 192 in mp3 format.
    My next player as a Zen Xtra 60 GB. It couldn't hold all my music, so I devised an "All Standard Tracks" playlist to play in shuffle, along with some full albums.
    Then I got an iPod 120, still used the All Standard Tracks, and re-ripped my CDs in 256 AAC.
    That one died, so I got an iPod 160. In the past few years I have been re-ripping certain CDs in Apple Lossless but syncing them down to 256 AAC to the iPod.
    It died (headphone jack, hard disc) and I put a little music on my iPhone 6 16GB until I got it repaired.
    As I related above, I have since had the 12o repaired and use it for Lossless. I use the iPhone if I really want just one device (64GB even lossless is quite enough) and the iPad for movies.

The reasons my music library exploded were Napster, Allmusic and SHF. I didn't own any Bowie (except Changes) until 2005; my Bob Dylan collection was Greatest Hits; no Jefferson Airplane, Band, Jimi Hendrix, though I had a soft spot for San Francisco 1965-1968 due to Gene Sculatti's book on the subject; no Neil Young except Weld; you can see where this is going. I long ago ridded myself of illegal downloads, but then I get paid mre these days.

I chose to repair mine with HDs at an outfit in Freedy Johnston's hometown, and not explore other devices because of the price and because I am sick of learning new interfaces. (I work for a multinational computer company, so that's kind of funny).

The iPod classic is a good example of a single-use device that does its job very well. Its job, however, depends on having music files on another device (the all-purpose PC) and that in turn depends on physical media or downloads (legal and otherwise).

When I say that no one under thirty owns CDs, I am generalizing. When I say that no one under thirty owns a wheezing behemoth of a computer, I am also generalizing. But except for gamers, bot farms, bitcoin generators and old farts like me, most people use the smartphone as their computer now. No computer, a lot of iOS and Android devices.
    I brought six on a recent work trip to Seattle with my wife - my computer, 3 iOS devices; my wife had 2 Android devices. Some people have too much stuff, and I'm one of them.

To broaden the no computer idea, everybody I know hates computers except those who work in the computer biz, like me. They have always regardeded them as a necessary evil; ways to write papers and, these days, get on the interwebs. Apple now makes their computers look like iOS devices, and the rest of the world finally realized that's where the money is; one would have thought their awesome stock price would have been a clue all these years.

timind likes this.
  12. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl Thread Starter

I thought the same thing. The toughest thing have replaced are laptop fans, which I have done successfully several times, but when I looked at videos of the iPod disassemble, I realized it was beyond my skill. Good luck.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  13. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

I also still have my 160GB ipod and have it loaded with music. I thought about selling it a couple of times, however, it's engraved and was a gift to me so I've decided to keep it. While I do have a 128GB microSD card in my Samsung phone that is full of music, I sometimes find myself gravitating back to the ipod if I'm just sitting around and chilling. The best part if both my step kids look at it with fear in their eyes as they can't fathom having something that would "only" play music .... and off a hard drive none the less :yikes:. The shock factor alone makes it worth keeping lol ;)

timind likes this.
  14. timind

timind phorum rezident

I'm 63 and don't find it all that difficult. The first attempt for me was on an already broken ipod so I had nothing to lose. And I did make a mess of the case. Subsequent attempts have been successful. My 7th gen has been opened a few times and you'd never know it by looking. My advice is to watch youtube videos, especially hackers, and learn what to do as well as what not to do. Also, get the proper tools as they're cheap. In fact, get an extra set of tools as they are only good for a few tear downs.

Hell, send it to me with return postage and I'll do it for you.;)

15. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

I’m currently using 2 160 gig Classics. One to listen to and one as backup. One froze while playing the other day. I though it’s useful days had come to an end, but I totally reset it and reloaded the 5000+songs and it’s back to playing nice again.

I got an Oppo HA-2 headphone amp for Christmas and tried it with the iPod. It sounded better than it does by itself, but I think I could do better with a newer player. I’ve had my eye on Fiios for a couple of years, but hadn’t found the need to upgrade. Now may be the right time.

16. Sevoflurane

I was surprised this worked, but my iPod Nano [5th gen I think, the square one] and 160GB Classic both work with my HA2. Couldn't get the Video to work, but that is very old.

17. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Missed my 160 for a bit but since got used to the 256gb iPhone. I’m getting better at learning to let go.

18. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Upthread I mentioned I use my classic with a Fiio E12 portable headphone amp.
    Not only do I use it with my Dunu DN1000 buds, but with a flick of a switch I can plug in my Sennheiser HD600's. I've been at this audio hobby for 30+ yrs and while I may not have 'golden ears', I like to think I know what sounds good. And this combo is more than good enough!

19. mrwolk

mrwolk One and a half ears...no waiting!

I wonder why Apple has not developed a high end digital audio player that would playback lossless files...they could offer HiRes downloads on iTunes.
    Guess they’re more interested in their iPhone technology...
    I replaced my iPod classic for a FiiO DAP..and have no regrets....not dependent on iTunes to load my content. The FiiO sounds great and i can interchange micro SD cards with many gigabytes of content.

20. Michael

as I stated before...that's not what i asked...your talking modified I'm talking stock..

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  21. Michael

OK, 160... that's what I vaguely remember...I have a lowly 60 gig IPod PHOTO still worki
    Thanks...can a iPod 60 gig photo be modified?

22. contium

contium Forum Resident

The hard drive died in my 160GB Classic so I upgraded it a bit.
    [​IMG]

billnunan, duneman, GroovyGuy and 2 others like this.
  23. timind

timind phorum rezident

I know your question was answered by Sevoflurane. Was just trying to add a bit of info. As to whether or not your 60gb can be modded, check the chart I linked.

Michael likes this.
  24. timind

timind phorum rezident

I'm jealous.

25. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Ya, you should see how people react to my laser disc player. Hooked up, and ready to play!... :agree::righton:

cartologist and GroovyGuy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.