"Used" iPod Classic prices coming down

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by cartologist, Feb 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl Thread Starter

Here I have another problem. My laptop's hard drive is a "500 GB" SSD, about 350 GB of which is taken up with music. I decided that any rational person wouldn't need more than 20,000 songs, especially since ten of them are "Ziggy Stardust." Since I do not have a stereo rig (we have neighbors) I listen with decent Shure earbuds, and in my car (not at the same time).

2. AJH

AJH Senior Member

I have two 160gb iPods (one purchased right before they were discontinued) but since i got a 256gb iPhone 8, it seems to have placed both iPods into retirement. The only reason I was using them was because my iPhones (even the 128gb models) lacked sufficient storage for my music needs. Right now, I'm pretty happy with my music on the iPhone 8.

3. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

I am looking for a player. I can get a Pono for $200 from the pono site (at least for now). Would that be better than looking for an ipod?

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks Tim...

5. timind

timind phorum rezident

Why not get an external hard drive? You should back your music up anyway.

6. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

How do you find the Music app? I have 3200 tracks on a 128GB ipod touch - I find it much slower than the classic ipods. Connectivity to my car unit is even worse.

7. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

I too have 160GB iPod Classic. When the drive died I upgraded it to a 256gb SSD @ iGadgets in West LA. Works great, lighter and the battery lasts much longer for obvious reasons. My entire music collection is on it in 320AAC, which sounds terrific on the Bose system w/subwoofer in my Chevy Volt Premier. Can't fit the collection in ALAC - too big. However, its hooked up via the mini-jack aux in though as the dang Chevy MyLink system doesn't support the 'ol iPod Classic OS. That's the main use for it although it does accompany me when traveling overseas.

Also have an 80gb Classic which isn't used but will likely provide spare parts for its big brother someday. When these die I'll have to think about another DAP. Not a fan of putting music on the iPhone.

8. frummox

frummox Forum Resident

Can you break it down and tell us how you did it? My old one with a nonfiunctional HD is sitting in a drawer.

9. TY94

TY94 Member

Yes please share the procedure for replacing the drive. Thanks

10. cartologist

I have an external drive (3.63TB) for backup and for the rest of my music (544 GB).

11. cartologist

Here's a DIY at ifixit.

iPod Classic Hard Drive Replacement

25 steps to disassemble, then just reverse after you replace the HD. I'm not that handy.

TY94 likes this.
  12. TY94

TY94 Member

Thanks!

13. timind

timind phorum rezident

I suggest a couple of these Flexible Pry Tool – iFlash.xyz
    along with the green plastic tools to get in to the 6th or 7th gen ipods. The metal pry tools allowed me to open my 7th gen without any marring at all. These guys are located in the UK, but delivery times are surprisingly short.

Although I'm not brave enought tho use the exacto knives, here's an excellent video showing how to unlock the clips holding the 6/7th gen ipods together.

14. Carrman

Carrman Forum Resident

Here’s a tip for those with traditional iPods. I learned a while ago that when you connect to a windows pc and view it as a drive, you can actually defrag it and it will scroll and load music much quicker. Way smoother operation on older units.

15. AJH

AJH Senior Member

I connect to my car through bluetooth and it's quite fast (probably depends quite a bit on the car's implementation of bluetooth). When I listen to music through the app things seem to be just as fast and probably faster than when I listened through the the old iPods.

16. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I still adore my iPod Classic 160gb. I bought mine about a year before they discontinued them. I owned a 32 gb touch which was given as a gift before that and liked it, but once I got the classic ,the touch hardly ever gets used. I definitely want to get a back up soon just in case this one goes bad. I may see if I can get a modded one with the solid state drive.

17. TY94

TY94 Member

Thanks for sharing this link.

18. TY94

TY94 Member

That's a great tip. Thanks.

19. contium

contium Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.