Used Record Stores in the Atlanta area

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by teaser5, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy Thread Starter

Hey kids:
    I'm going down to Duluth, GA to see Bruce Sprigsteen on Feb 28th at The Arena at Gwinnett Center which is somewhere near Atlanta. I will be using taxis for transportation and will have some time to kill before I head to the hotel bar to prep for the show. Anyone have an independent record/cd store in that area they can recommend? Chances are if it's in a mall I'm not interested.
    Thanks all!
    Peace
    Norm

2. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Most of the "better" ones are in the city. Wax 'N' Facts in Little Five Points has a good selection of recent imports and a lot selection of used vinyl (no gems to be found), Wuxtry (close by but not walking distance, nothing in Atlanta is walking distance) has a good selection of used albums and some nice collectables, Fantasyland over in Buckhead has a very good selection a vinyl but look carefully their light is very dim. If you have no access to a car and are staying by the new center expect to pay about $40 just to get you down into the city. Public Transportation? Forget about it! It doesn't do pass the city limits. If you are staying anywhere near the center do yourself a favor and rent a car.

3. teaser5

Thanks!

Tommy:
    If you had to pick one for me to hit coming in from the airport and before I taxi to the hotel which might it be? I am staying close to Gwinnett and need some time there to have dinner and a few drinks. Basically, I am asking you to factor in the selection at the store with the logistics of your town.
    I get in around two and my show isn't until seven thirty and my seat is reserved.
    BTW: going to the show?
    Thanks man
    Norm

4. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

If you are more into classic rock and Jazz, I would go with Fantasyland. Believe it or not I did not about the Springsteen show or the new arena (Springsteen is the 1st show there), until 2 weeks ago and I live about 12 miles from it.

5. teaser5

Fantasyland

I will check it out then, thanks. And you should check out the show if you are into The Boss. From what I have read this is a smaller venue and it's also his first proper show of the new year. He is only doing a handful of gigs, many to make up for shows from last year that had to be postponed due to Clarence's eye procedure. Then it's off to The South Pacific and Europe until the end of summer. Obviously, if I am flying down then I think it's a heck of a concert...

Thanks again
    Cheers!
    Norm

6. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Three other places if you have time:

Eat More Records in Norcross, on Rockbridge off of Jimmy Carter Blvd.

Full Moon Records on McLendon, near the historic old part of Decatur (where much of "Driving Miss Daisy" was filmed).

Circle Sky Records, a new place on Chamblee-Tucker Road.

7. teaser5

One more time

We are expecting snow tomorrow and I am really hoping that it does not mess up my flight plans. I have looked at the webistes of some of these stores and they all look cool. However I have heard that Atlanta Friday afternoon rush hour sucks about as much as DC's. Therefore what would you guys say is my single best shot as far as selection but also as far as being able to taxi in from the airport, shop for an hour or so then cab over towards Gwinnett to get cleaned up for the show and have time for dinner and a few drinks.
    Thanks guys
    Peace
    Norm

PS: I still think The Clash tribute on the Grammys f*****g rocked!
    :cool:

8. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Re: One more time

That pretty much sums up the situation. We save most of our best wrecks for Fridays.

9. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

Norm-- Just want to caution you about the traffic situation. The concert is at a new venue that recently opened. Last week's George Strait show was plagued by severe traffic congestion around the Arena. County officials are taking extra steps to ease the flow for tomorrow night's Bruce concert, but you may want to allow yourself plenty of time to get there. Concertgoers are urged to avoid the primary route, the Sugarloaf Parkway exit off Interstate-85. Officials are recommending that motorists use alternate routes-- those heading North on I-85 are advised to exit at GA. 120. I know this sounds confusing for out-of-towners but temporary signs are being erected to show the alternate routes.

10. teaser5

Thanks David!!

That nails it then. My hotel is supposed to be ten minutes from the arena.
    I will go straight there, get some dinner and chill then catch a ride to the gig. I will do my record shopping on my next trip to The Village
    Thanks a lot man
    Peace
    Norm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.