Used Vinyl in London

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Marc Perman, Jun 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'll be in London next month and plan to spend a few days shopping for second hand vinyl. If one were planning a three day LP itinerary, what are some favorite places for 1960s-1980s rock? On recent trips I've been to Sister Ray's, but I'm willing to explore the city. An in-store turntable w/ headphones is a big plus.

Thanks and apologies for asking something that's probably been covered here before.

2. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

Right across from Sister Ray is Reckless Records, always a good source for used albums. No headphones and listening stations though. I would also recommend Flashback Records which has three shops all over London. Every first and third Friday there is a record fair at Spitalfields Market that is always worth visiting. Have fun!

3. Telegramsam

Telegramsam Forum Resident

The Spitalfields fair is a MUST. There´s a Music & Video Exchange in Notting Hill that´s quite good, and Out On The Floor in Camden Town now has a basement with more vinyl.

AudioLoup likes this.
  4. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

I suggest to do something else besides record shopping in London. The absolut worst about used vinyl in London is the fact that the records in many shops are stored behind the counter, so you cannot easily determine the condition or the pressing.

5. Marc Perman

Thanks. I'll miss the Spitalfields fair by a week, sadly.

6. Marc Perman

I plan to do a lot in London :)

7. Telegramsam

Telegramsam Forum Resident

There is a smaller Saturday fair at Spitalfields on the second and fourth Saturday of every month. Still worth going.

8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

If you've got a few days available for vinyl shopping I'd suggest you take a quick 1hr trip to Brighton. There's some great record stores there and definitely worth a visit.

It's a day trip scenario. Take an early train, do some shopping, have a pint, bit of sight seeing, back home to London with an arm full of records.

It'll be a nice break from London. Brighton is a great place to visit even without any record shopping IMO.

9. Marc Perman

Thanks for the tip - are the Brighton record stores open on Sundays?

10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Some are but, two which I think are among the best, The Wax Factor and Monkey Music Emporium, are closed. I'd probably give Brighton a miss if you're going on Sunday with the primary aim of record shopping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.