User reports on New PS Audio Direct Stream Products

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Litejazz53, Apr 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital Thread Starter

I have been following the recent posts on the two new PS Audio pieces, the Direct Stream Transport and the Direct Stream DAC. I think like myself, there are several other forum members sitting on the sidelines deciding if and when we should pull the trigger on these two pieces. I know some of us have been looking at other pieces such as the Marantz SA-10 , Yamaha piece or possibly the new Oppo 205. I had a couple of PS Audio dealers send me a message as I showed interest in the product and as far as their assistance with improved pricing, there is some strength in numbers, so I would encourage anyone posting on this thread to make it clear if they have some interest in these two pieces and if there is enough interest, I will contact the dealer and see how he can help ALL OF US. I know Tony Plachy, like me is right on the fence. Another member that just purchased this set is Lonson, hopefully he can bring us up to date on his new purchase, as he has had some break in time.

If you have been able to audition the PS Audio Direct Stream DAC used in conjunction with the new Direct Stream Transport or have recently purchased one, take some time to post your experience with these pieces, good or bad. To hear Paul McGowan, these new products are cutting edge in every way, and can compete with equipment costing much more, I know he certainly has my interest. So, if you can offer any feedback on auditions or first hand knowledge, let us know, and if you might be seriously interest in purchasing the pair of these from a dealer or PS Audio, be sure and post it, or simple send me a private message and let me know.

Happy Listening! :edthumbs:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I've posted plenty about my experiences on the threads dedicated to the two products. Here I'll just say I am very happy with them. I don't go to audio salons and listen and I have not heard a lot of contemporary DACs and transports in my home, but I am very happy with the sound of this combo, and I haven't had the slightest urge to replace either component. These cost a lot of money and drained my savings, but music and stereo playback are very important to me and a large part of my interest in life and I feel this has been money well-spent based on performance and my priorities. Not sure how accurate Paul's comments about their position in the "state of the art," etc.--he's a salesman. But these are certainly quality products, and with their "firmware update-ability" they have the ability to "grow" into the future.

I'd invite anyone interested in this products to read the posts in these two forums of the PS Audio website:

DirectStream Memory Player | ForumsPS Audio

DirectStream Memory Player | ForumsPS Audio

Lots of information and impressions therein.

Litejazz53 likes this.
  3. Lonson

PS: I think Tony now owns the combo, is not on a fence!

Litejazz53 likes this.
  4. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Having used quite a few dacs over the past few years, I can say for sure that I'm very impressed with my DAC and Memory Player demo units.

chazz101s, Lonson and Litejazz53 like this.
  5. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

FWIW, I've had the two PS Audio pieces since December and they took a long time to burn in. But I can certainly say that these are on a whole 'nother level from my 10 year old Marantz SA-7S1 I sold. Expensive, yes, but no regrets whatsoever.

6. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

If you have $12k to spend, pull the trigger.

7. Lonson

Or knock up to 3600 off with the right trade-ins.

8. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

You can get the Dac for around 3K and the Player for around 4K or less (I was offered the new Player for 4100 and that was before it came out). Don't go by the List Prices as they are WAAAAAY off on PS Audio Gear.

Lonson and Electric like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.