Using a USB digital microscope to set SRA

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brian Gupton, Sep 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Gupton

Brian Gupton Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not sure if I want to go down this road yet or not, however, I've been reading up on this approach on AnalogPlanet (http://www.analogplanet.com/content...icroscope-set-92-degree-stylus-rake-angle-sra).

Has anyone spent the time to do this? Did you feel that the time and $$$ invested was worth it in the end?

Fremmer recommends the Dino-Lite AMT313 USB digital microscope and the BigCatch Accessories series MS32W Articulating desktop microscope stand ($40). This was back in 2012. Anyone find a better and/or less expensive option that gets similar results?

Ortofun likes this.
  2. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Baby steps young Jedi:)

3. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

For sure this is providing good photography, but you have to think about it. A good macro lens on a camera can get you very close to this. In addition, you probably need a VTA adjustment on your tonearm, which I suspect you do have. You’ll want to get a system of quick adjustments for different weights of vinyl, and be able to get close enough as you change records. A method like this, of photographing and measuring using a software that allows you to draw lines and measure angles, will give you confidence in the learning process. Beyond different thicknesses of records, obviously, any warpage is going to throw things off. Ultimately, finding a range of workable settings, and being comfortable dialing in a VTA quickly could be of great value. The cartridge suspension is going to be working constantly, so any measurement taken from a static position is actually going to be a range of possible positions given the various forces on the stylus as the record plays.

I think this is a final frontier. If you can get a good alignment, and get the azimuth set, you are going to get very good tracking on most records, regardless of thickness. I would focus on the basics first, and when you have that very well set and little or no distortion, you can refine the final playback this way.

One good thing about taking some snaps is that you can see how the VTF changes the SRA, but your ear will be the final indicator regarding the final adjustments, IMO.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

What is SRA? A terrorist organization?

rob303, jupiterboy and avanti1960 like this.
  5. Michael Ries

Michael Ries Forum Resident

Brian, I can't help but notice your frequent postings in this forum regarding upgrades and tweaks. Certainly nothing wrong with that, but if think it may be wise to appreciate what you have for a bit and enjoy some music on your system without wondering what could be or if you could make it better. Constantly changing things will certainly make them sound different, but if you haven't had time to familiarize yourself with everything, I think it's hard to really say if it's better or just different.

I like to tweak and change things too, but I find a self imposed ban on changing gives me perspective. Granted, if I had the funds or the time to constantly change and upgrade I might change my tune, but I'd like to think this principle applies regardless of the system or situation.

I hope this doesn't come across as preachy since that's not my intent, but I can relate on some small level and think if you just sit back for a while and enjoy before tweaking further you'll be happier with everything in the long run.

BigE, 5-String, rob303 and 3 others like this.
  6. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Looks promising, but I would recommend upgrading the cable.

7. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Exactly. Symbionese Rake Angle. They kidnap and brainwash the daughters of the wealthy and make them analyze the effects of VTA and participate in bank heists.

gloomrider likes this.
  8. Ortofun

Ortofun Well-Known Member

I bought a 500x $45 USB microscope, and I would suggest getting the best one you can, as this is just a pain and not all that helpful.

9. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

Stylus Rake Angle

Ortofun and Mister Charlie like this.
  10. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

Brian , before I start its all with the best of intentions because i have been there myself but all has nothing to do with music. You are forgetting that the only thing that will make your system sound excellent is YOU enjoying it. For sure tweaks & tips helps but a well furnished ventilated room , a good mood , turning on your system and playing low or gentle music for 15/20 mins before you & your system is ready for rocking out is key & after every hour , turn it down , walk away for 10-15 mins then come back otherwise you will have ear fatigue. Also go by your own energy levels as far as the volume is concerned. We have all experienced some days system sounds excellent , some days not and these steps that cost nothing is what it's about . Thanks

11. Ortofun

Huh!

If someone is suffering listening fatigue (ear fatigue?), need to address why this is and fix it!, not walk away from it just to come back and suffer again IMO.

Either the volume is too high, or something relating to the system/or room even.. needs fixing.

Unless I'm not understanding what you are saying? This is a strong possibility ;)

Cheers

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  12. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

Set it by ear. Trust what you're hearing.

13. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

14. Ortofun

TGG, you quoted me, but nothing else?

OK, I see now, you put it in the middle of the quote :)
    "Listening at high volume levels will cause ear fatigue hence why you walk away make a cup of tea , do your washing etc"

hmm...each to their own, but in my view if the level is high enough to cause fatigue, it is too high....and could be causing permanent hearing damage...but that's just my opinion ;)

Cheers

Edit: tidied up

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  15. Brian Gupton

Brian Gupton Forum Resident Thread Starter

I ran across the Femmer articles while trying to teach myself how to do my own setup.

I don't really see getting the best setup possible as a "tweak" per se. I just spent a bunch of money on a new front end. Even without being fine-tuned, it immediately got rid of the issues I was having with distortion which was the cause of just about all of my posts here before. Given what I spent, why wouldn't anyone in this hobby want to get the best sound possible?

Not saying the Femmer approach will get there. I'm just asking those who have done it if they thought it was worth the time & money. My table/arm, fortunately, makes fine tuning the setup fairly easy so if this Femmer method produces noticeably better results then it might be worth the effort.

Don't worry. I enjoy the music plenty now. Just trying to educate myself. :)

Ortofun likes this.
  16. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

SRA? Wouldn't listen with a line contact stylus without it.

Like most things in life, until one has had (and mastered) it, you don't know what you're missing.

Using the scope and all is a pain but, mounting a cart is a bit of a pain anyway. So, where would we be if a mastering engineer didn't use a scope to set up a lacquer cutting head on a lathe in the first place??? Isn't it the same thing in reverse? From what I understand, we are aligning to that cutter angle roughly. Plus it gives you a chance to make sure that the expensive cartridge you just bought has a stylus and cantilever that are properly aligned. For me, the "trust what you hear" approach initially will not, except by shear coincidence, get you close to where you need to be (92 deg).

I have always found VTA to have several "sweet spots" along the way and be somewhat haphazard and debatable. I do agree that the ear is the final adjustment but, earballing and eyeballing it in my experience is like most backyard mechanic approaches and not for something as precise as a TT setup. What I also think deserves consideration is record wear. If your on this site and have amassed a beloved music collection, it would be a crying shame to have a rouge styli make a gravel road out of those precious grooves. If you love what the groove gives you, have a little respect for it. Go gentle, be kind, and mind your stylus gentlemen!

Brian Gupton likes this.
  17. wandique

wandique >>> Senior Member

Brian,

I tried (it cost me a pair of hours to adjust the sra) and in my case it was worth !

18. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

It's always worth setting up a turntable correctly - it takes at least several hours, but ekes the absolute best sound out of your turntable/tonearm/cartridge. Feel free to ignore set up to your own detriment.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.