Using double-Y for mono damages your system? Please comment!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dgsinner, Mar 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member Thread Starter

Rivendell61 posted this link on another thread:

http://www.rane.com/note109.html

Will some of you audio equipment experts check it out and comment?

Since learning of about using a double-Y, I've used it quite a lot when burning CDRs from vinyl.

Am I hurting my system?

2. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

This makes sense for low output impedance. The Rane pieces are generally balanced 600 ohm output. If the impedance is higher (10k) each piece is less likely to 'load' the other. Summing the outputs of a cartidge should not cause any problems as they are passive devices. It's only when you are summing the outputs of active devices that you can run into trouble. And of course build out resistors could be used to isolate the outputs. The more resistance in the output, the less the current flow.

3. dgsinner

Hi, thanks for the reply. Could you put it in layman's terms? As I read your post, can I assume that using a double-Y between my TT and amp is probably harmless?

Thanks,
    Dale

4. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Yes, I would think that using the Y cable on the outputs of your cartridge would not be harmful. The problem with using a Y cable only would occur with some electronic devices that have low impeadance outputs. Professional gear is usually low impedance and consumer and hi fi gear is usually not, though this is not a hard rule. If you don't understand this, I can try to explain it to you, but it would take some doing to keep it all as simple as possible.

If you read the article in your link I'm in complete agreement with everything it says. Once again, Rane deals with low impedance equipment where this is a problem. It will not necessarily be a problem in all cases.

5. dgsinner

Got it. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.