Using Mains Wire as Speaker Cable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by lucifer-chops, Mar 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucifer-chops

lucifer-chops Forum Resident Thread Starter

I wonder if anyone has any views on using solid core copper mains wire as speaker cable.

I have been using it ever since my brother recommended it to me. I went to my local hardware store where it retailed for about 30p a metre and took it home and A/B'd it with my QED Qudos stranded cable which cost £3 a metre (that's 10 times as much folks!) - the difference was not just audible, it was astounding. Bass was more precise, treble was clearer, everything just sounded better. Needless to say I have been using it ever since.

However, I am aware that I auditioned it against a pretty cheap cable - has anyone ever done any comparisons with high end speaker cables? If so I would be interested to hear your opinions.

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Someone posted a link for a DIY (Do It Yourself) recipe for something like this once. It was supposed to be very good! I've never tried it. Yet!

At one time I was thinking of trying the QED Silver Spirals but they are $25.00 CAD a foot. I'd need $500.00 worth of speaker cable. Ouch! Especially if it turns out that I don't like them! Double Ouch!

Have you any comments about the Silver Spirals?

Sckott is a DIY guy and has made several cables himself. I hope he chimes in here!

Gary

3. Brian D.

Brian D. New Member

If your system is on the bright side, you might consider using #00 or #000 arc welding cable. Very thick cable with very fine strands of copper in it. Sold here is the US at about $2 a ft. I used it on woofer towers.Terminating it can be difficult, but not impossible. Makes good jumper cables for you car also.

4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I'm keen on solid core cables and I don't like stranded cables.

I used to have the first version of Tara Labs Space and Time, made in Australia just before Mr. Bond came to the States to make it big. These replaced Vampire wire, which were something silly like 600 strands in each sleeve - trying to outdo Monster Cable I guess. I always thought these were pretty good on my Yamaha NS1000Ms, but the single solid core of Tara blew them away.

Last year I made the ChrisVH braided Cat 5 cables (27 pairs) and these were very good. I had them all last year. I've replaced them now with DIY silver foil cables, and these are the best speaker cables I've heard at my place.

Regards,
    Metralla

5. Brian D.

Brian D. New Member

I'm using Tara single solid on my main panels, works great. Where did you get your DIY silver foils?

6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I bought the silver foil in a group buy organized on AA by John Chapman. I think he got it from McMaster-Carr. It's 1.25" wide and 8 thou (0.008") thick, 99.99% pure silver. These are just wrapped in Teflon tape and placed back-to-back following the original Allen Wright design (like Gortz). There are no connectors.

You can see some pictures on my geocities home page.

Regards,
    Metralla

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.