Using multiple "preamps" with single set of power Amps

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by aashton, Jul 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aashton

aashton Here for the waters... Thread Starter

I would like to re-configure my audio equipment and use both a pre-amp with a single ended output going into the Power Amps plus use a DAC with a variable balanced output going into the same Power Amps. Is this feasible ?

An alternative is to have both the pre-amp and the DAC feeding its own Power Amp and then each of these Amps feeding into the same loudspeaker. If I follow this route would I have to disconnect and swap the 'speaker cables each time I use the other source ?

All the best - Andrew

2. triple

triple Senior Member

I guess a pair of "Y" interconnects should do the trick - two cables connected to a single RCA (or XLR) connector. Per channel, that is.

Goran

3. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I would think this is not a good idea. There are several things I'm not clear on from your description. I'm assuming your amp has both balanced and unbalanced inputs and you'd like to have them both hooked up to the amplifier at the same time. While it is possible that this might work, I'd expect some interaction. Having both devices hooked up in parallel could effect the loading of the sources. What you are talking about is basically 'mixing' the two outputs. Generally when mixing two signals, one use series resistors for isolation. A a/b type of switch would help, but since you're using both rca and xlr connectors that might be a trick as well.

Having two amplifier outputs hooked up to the same speaker also would not be a good idea. This would mean that while you are using one amplifier, the other amplifiers's output would be hanging on the line. This could potentially cause all kinds of problems and could possibly cause damage to the amplifiers.

If I had to choose one of these idea's I'd go with the former as it's less likely this could damage anything, so if you really want to try this there is not as much risk. If it works for you than what the heck. If you try this, you can let your ears be the judge. If there is no difference in the sound with both sources hooked up then you have your answer. I suspect that there will be some degradation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.