USPS Delivery Status Not Updated?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Jerryb, Feb 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member Thread Starter

I had a package that was out for delivery on Friday. It never came and it wasn't delivered the next day Saturday either. It now just says Delivery Status Not Updated. I've never seen that for any of my packages.

February 21, 2014 , 11:28 pm

Delivery status not updated

February 21, 2014 , 9:28 am

Out for Delivery

2. asodoma

asodoma Senior Member

I had a guy send me a record a month or so ago from CA. There was the original status and then nothing for about a week. I e-mailed him and he said he had a couple people say the say thing. Then magically a status showed up from PA about 1.5 weeks after the original status. Most of the time things go well with USPS, sometimes you just never know...

3. kings81

kings81 Forum Resident

USPS has been really bad for me lately too. Super slow on shipping, no tracking updates, etc etc..

4. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

I've been noticing since the holidays most of my tracking info from all the delivery services has been spotty at best.

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

They are broke, the USPS is failing as they raise prices, and cut service quality. I think that they will keep raising their prices and cutting back on the quality of service until it is taken over by other management.

I was told the other day that the international package I had with me could not be mailed out because it was less than one hour before closing time. They close at 6pm and items for international must be at the window by 5pm. This is because (they said) it takes so long for them to deal with these packages and it holds up the line too much.

So the item I was to send out would have been $31 in their cash register that day, and not the next day. I felt that they should be happy to get that cash and take that cash any time and any date that they can get it (if they are hurting for cash flow). Their thought is that I will certainly be back tomorrow, and that they can (and will for sure) get that cash from me when they dictate.

I have a feeling that they are going to run into folks who cannot just return and stand in that line yet again, and who must get that international package out that day. These people will find another service that wants this cash, and will not force a customer out the door while refusing the money.

This seems so backwards that maybe they deserve to fail.

Jerryb likes this.
  6. jricc

jricc Senior Member

I've had lots of problems with USPS tracking...it's unfortunate...

7. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

I have had issues with my mail going missing lately. Contacted my local postmaster, who could care less. Same goes for my mailman that prefers to deliver me my neighbor's mail.

8. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

My regular mail carrier is good, but once I caught a fill-in carrier out at my mailbox because I was expecting an album. Gave me my mail and started to go so I asked him if he had anything else for me... he said no... I asked him to check the back of the truck, which he did with a bad attitude and found my album as well as three other packages for our house... long story short, your item might be sitting in the back of a lazy carriers truck.

9. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

:cussing:

10. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Of course any cheap CD I sell and mail out arrives in 3 days no problem and now that I've sold an expensive one, it's expected delivery date was 2 days ago and there's been no tracking updates since Sunday. So much for paying first-class rates. It's already been a week and no delivery.

Lotsa bad luck with USPS lately. On the verge of giving up selling.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I've had three very important pieces of mail go missing I'm the last 6 months. This was incoming mail. One was a check that was cashed at a Bank of America ATM. The other two items I have no idea what happened. A forth letter item was forwarded to me from another address, but took 6 weeks to arrive. I had a change of address in. But they failed to forward. But finally did nearly two months later.

So we are paying a price for cutbacks. They raised the prices, and then cut back on services, speed, and accuracy. Very disturbing to see what has happened.

PROG U.K. likes this.
  12. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Mailed it out first class w/tracking July 3rd. Cost nearly $4.

Expected delivery date July 8th

Left Michigan July 6 and sat in Orlando for 7 full days then arrived to the buyer July 14th.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

This is what I think. Sending out packages with postage and tracking bought online can ofetn mean that the scanning of the item for tracking updates can be slow to happen or non-existent. I just got a package and the seller shipping it the online way. And it never got scanned at all until it reached my local post office.

Here is what the online tracking looked like: Notice it never got scanned at all at the sender's end of it. And only got scanned the day it was delivered to me 7/21/14 in Los Angeles. So what this means is that if you want your buyers to get up to date tracking, you more tha likely need to drop it off at the post office yourself and get it scanned. Of buy postage AND TRACKING at the window. This online postage is cheaper,. but not giving us the service we pay for.

Carrier:USPS First-Class

Delivered
    Jul-21-14, 11:06 AM, LOS ANGELES, CA 90048

Out for Delivery
    Jul-21-14, 09:32 AM, LOS ANGELES, CA 90048

Sorting Complete
    Jul-21-14, 09:22 AM, LOS ANGELES, CA 90048

Arrival at Post Office
    Jul-21-14, 06:56 AM, LOS ANGELES, CA 90048

Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS
    Jul-15-14, 00:00 AM

14. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I print postage online, but for anything marginally expensive, when I bring it in to the PO I have them scan it in there anyway. I don't actually think it affects the mail handling any, but it looks better on the tracking report while it's in transit than the report just above.

Romerovm likes this.
  15. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Mailed a package on Wednesday from Michigan going to Pennsylvania. Supposed to arrive there on Saturday. Just got a tracking update that it's arrived in San Jose CA.

The USPS fun continues...

16. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

I've had a package (a very expensive wig I ordered from California) stuck at 'preparing to ship' for WEEKS now.

At this point, I doubt I'm ever going to receive it.

17. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I sent a cd Washington DC.I just checked the USPS tracking and it`s in Califonia.A few other cds were delivered right on time.

18. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Apparently scanning a label now is just too much trouble ? My tracking info. on more than one package has shown " Shipping Label Created," and nothing more, then shows up here a few days later.
    And these are sent First Class.

19. R. Totale

My PO will scan packages when I bring them in if I ask them to, but if you're some big seller just dropping off a truckload at a PO they're not going to scan them all.

20. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Same here. Most recently I had a package out for delivery 2 days....in the wrong town!! I had the same tracking info as the OP "Delivery status not updated." I called both my post office and the post office of the town it was lost in and no one knows anything. Mysteriously it showed up a few days later.

21. Myke

Then tracking is obviously pointless. Also, I'm referring to eBay sellers, sending out five or so, not a truckload.

22. R. Totale

Lots of eBay sellers send truckloads - it's eBay's preferred model. You can ask your seller in a note when paying to have an incoming scan done at the PO, but if they just drop them off without waiting in line it's up to the PO what they'll do - it's not required. Mine do it because it's in the sticks and staffed by angels.

23. Romerovm

Romerovm Forum Resident

When you go in the PO if you want it scanned, ask for an "Acceptance Receipt". Basically they are accepting the package, and they have to scan it. Shows right away online.

24. Myke

But that's the point of tracking , otherwise why even have it ?

25. R. Totale

from http://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction!input.action

===========

What does USPS Tracking™ show?
    Enter your label number to see the status of your item. If you shipped with Priority Mail Express™, you’ll get point-by-point tracking details. If you used another service—USPS Tracking™, Certified Mail™, Registered Mail™ —you’ll see when it went out for delivery.

============

They're doing exactly what they promised.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.