VAC Phi 200 tube amps in monoblock form.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Anyone else have VAC in one of their systems?

2. Alonski

Alonski New Member

Hey Steve, did you go to the SHOW in Newport this year? One room which received a lot of praise as "best of show" was showcasing the gajillion dollar Magico Q7 speakers being fed by a full-tilt VAC array. It sounded great... but the VAC electronics alone sell for around $100k! Robert Harley said this was one of "the biggest and most open sound stages I've heard. The immediacy and presence was hair-raising!" I love it when I totally agree with a reviewers assessment. I feel that our Phi 200's really do sound like the Statement 450's little brother, since I get the same comments on my system from audiophile friends. As scarce and expensive as they are, even used, I have felt privileged to own Kevin's creations, even our humble bottom of the line amps. Elizabeth, you sure got an amazing deal on your Standard LE. I had one for years and loved it!

Steve, if you're ever up in the Bay Area and want to pop over to Mill Valley for a listen, shoot me a note!

3. Steve Hoffman

Didn't make the show but I heard about it.

Would love to get together with you up North. I'll let you know.

4. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Hi Steve,

I've never heard these particular amps, although I have little doubt that they sound magnificent. I'm big fan of a great sounding tube-amp myself, and those look drool-worthy indeed!

But I have a question for you: Is it more difficult to master with with an amp which may lean towards the romantic end of the spectrum? My understanding is that when one is mastering that you want to use the most neutral and revealing system possible. I'm sure that this amp is revealing, but on the neutrality front I'm a somewhat less convinced.

I'm curious if you ever have to do a little reverse-compensation during the mastering process to account for tube colorations which you may be hearing during a mastering session but which may not be making their way onto the master itself because they are artifact of the portion of the system which comes after your AtoD convertor?

5. Steve Hoffman

I for
    Nothing made by VAC leans towards the romantic end of anything. Other than my fabulous Tenor Audio 350 monoblocks, these VAC monoblocks are the most accurate amps I've ever had the pleasure to use.

I master in a mastering studio, not my home. I listen at home.

Metralla likes this.
  6. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

I'm guessing when you receive $20k amps for free, your review of their performance is kind of jaded.

7. Steve Hoffman

Why? I get tons of free stuff all over the place, all the time. Doesn't mean it's good or I like it. Do you think I'm a shill or something?

8. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

Nah. Maybe just jealous. Guess I just wish someone would give me $20k mono blocks to mess around with and then I could write a review about them.

But in all honesty, I don't think someone can write an unbiased review , esp. when the product is provided to the reviewer for free.

If you gave me a Bentley to drive for free, I can pretty much assume I'll tell everyone I know how much I enjoy driving the car. An unfavorable review could jeopardize my standing with said company.

Anyway enjoy. I'm sure they are easy on the ears. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts about the amp.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  9. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Just saw this thread.

I use the Alan Parson's & Stephen Court Sound Check disk and play the Toms track on loop, in mono, to set the bias lights.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  10. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I'm using an older PA100. It's a KT-88 with 12AU7's. I'd love to hear a 6SN7 version.

11. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

That's how most reviews work - the reviewer is given the device for a short or long period. In some cases, the reviewer buys the unit at a discounted price. If the reviewer has been at it for a while and intends to continue their career as such, their integrity is paramount.

That is a personal statement of your integrity.

dirtymac likes this.
  12. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

200 wpc is a lot of power for a tube amp- mono yet. Must be quite a listening experience.

13. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

Steve, I assume you keep the packing for all the stuff? Did they come in crates?

14. Steve Hoffman

I'm not writing a review. I use these amps in my work.

You're not getting the big picture. If every car maker sent you a car to drive for free I think that you would eventually just drive the ones you really liked and ignore the rest. Are you not understanding that?

Robin L and hvbias like this.
  15. Steve Hoffman

Didn't come in crates.

Yes, I keep the packing for everything I ever get. I still have the box for my Pioneer 1010 receiver from 1975.

16. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

I get it.

Carry on.

17. Steve Hoffman

Actually, I could use just one of these Phi 200's as a stereo amp and it would work fine. Using a pair as monoblocks makes a more authoritative, detailed sound. Quite nice.

Kevin Hayes himself called me with the suggestion of using two Phi 200 amps in monoblock configuration. Since I've been a VAC fan and endorser for many years and know what Kev's gear can do in a system, I was eager to try it out. This amp is a whole new thing. Does not have the Vac "house sound".

18. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Lights? we don't need no stinkin lights . LOL

19. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Steve, You have nice friends...

20. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

21. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

Smart as well.

22. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Wow....

23. Alexandre

Alexandre Senior Member

I have 2 PA90C monoblock power amplifiers and a CLA-1 Mk II line amplifier, since 1993.

I like them so much that I have never felt the need to upgrade them.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  24. Alonski

Alonski New Member

OK, Steve, this is entirely your fault.

There I was, happily loving my VAC Phi 200 Stereo amp (which I’ve had for over a year now) and then you start posting about your Phi 200 mono blocs…

Sometimes, it's hard to imagine how anything could sound better than the goose-bump inducing magic I am hearing from my rig. But I've learned that there's always an upgrade for any system. This makes sense to me, since I never know what I'm missing until I hear what I've been missing! That's the nature of this crazy-expensive obsession of ours… If you’ve been doing this for long enough, it’s likely that you’ve had some audio epiphanies when hearing music reproduced with such authority, impact you could feel in your bones, and at the same time, delivered with an effortlessness and natural ease that makes the hardware disappear and sweeps us away to the best seat at the original recording venue.

Speaking in depth with Kevin about an upgrade path within his product line, he assured me that since I love my stereo Phi 200, the sound of two Phi 200 mono blocs will not be just a little more of the same, but will deliver sound that can only be bested by two 300.1 mono blocs (about $40,000!) or his Statement 450 amps, which are all-out Cost No Object instruments ($78,000 and up!).

So, I did it – the biggest single plunge I’ve made in 35 years as an audiophile. Any day now, Kevin will be shipping me two brand new VAC Phi 200 mono blocs in black (to match my VAC Signature 2a Preamp). I’m so excited I can barely contain myself – and I just had to tell somebody.

If anyone is interested, I’m selling my beautiful, Silver-faced Phi 200. Full story on Audiogon.

I’ll post my own experience with the mono blocs in this thread. I know I’ll be thanking you for sharing your experience with these, Steve.

25. Steve Hoffman

Well, congrats, I think. You could have just ordered one more silver one though.... Or am I missing something?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.