'Valerian', new Luc Besson Sci-Fi movie, July '17.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Groovy, Nov 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Luc Besson says they tried red hair on Cara Delevigne during pre-production, and she didn't suit it. At all.

beccabear67 likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Not a cinema view.
    Prob get the blu ray.
    Really liked LUCY.

3. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

With those visuals?

alexpop likes this.
  4. alexpop

Yeah, maybe check reviews first.
    >>>>IMAX <<<<>
    If possible.

5. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Final trailer.

Tree of Life and FVDnz like this.
  6. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I saw this trailer in a cinema with 4K picture and Atmos sound, and I must say it was super effective and quite beautiful.
    Parts of it look like a rehash of The Fifth Element to me but of course I'll go and watch it in the same cinema I saw the trailer.

7. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I hope it does well. It looks like the youth of the actors could be an advantage if there were to be more Valerian films in the future. The comics (oops. graphic novels) were really enjoyable. One of the best sf series though I didn't have all of them. I also had a number of Asterix books and some one-off items by Moebius and others. Oddly enough they were in regular book shops rather than many comic books shops.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Oh, this is not good...

Yes, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets really is that bad, bad enough that you don't know for the longest time that Valerian is one of the lead characters and not a planet or a spaceship. Sporting special effects and sets that smack of 50-year-old Barbarella-style tackiness, Luc Besson's $200-million eyesore will barely trigger a momentary blip on the American box-office radar screen, leaving Besson with the lone hope that there are parts of the world where the entertainment tastes remain, ahem, less discriminating.

'Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets': Film Review

9. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Who's the target audience? It looked like it was made for kids judging by the trailer

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm baffled, especially after reading the reviews. There are aspects of the movie that are beautiful, but I'm getting that Wachowski sibling vibe from it: a lot of cool visuals and a plot that makes no damned sense and characters that are just all over the map.

SandAndGlass, townsend and budwhite like this.
  11. alexpop

Did I say I liked Lucy.

12. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It sounds like you just described later Besson's style: great visuals, very cool action, but a really stupid plot and puzzling, paper-thin characters...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Vidiot likes this.
  13. alexpop

Looks stunning.:goodie:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Oh, many bad, bad, bad reviews excerpted at this link:

"The Razzies don't need to wait until the end of the year to anoint a winner for 2017. The Golden Turkey Awards should be republished with a new cover. Euro-trash is back, while sci-fi will need to lick its wounds for a while. Dane DeHaan, who has starred in two of the most egregiously bloated misfires of the year with A Cure for Wellness and now this, should do a couple of indie films, while Cara Delevingne needs to learn there is more to acting than smirking and eye-rolling. Rihanna should pretend this never happened. And the Hollywood studio chiefs can breathe easy that, this time, at least, they'll escape blame for making a giant summer franchise picture that nobody wants to see, since this one's a French import."

'Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets': What the Critics Are Saying

It goes downhill from there.

15. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Not all reviews are damning;

'Valerian' Review: Luc Besson's Sci-Fi Adventure Is A Dazzling Delight

alexpop likes this.
  16. alexpop

I like John Carter as well. not a critics fave, critics get it wrong most part imo.
    Too blasé, too many champagne supernovas,

17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I saw John Carter last year and it wasn't as bad as the critics made it out to be in 2012. It's not without problems, but mainly suffers from the comparison to Star Wars, which "stole" and modernized a lot of its ideas 40 years ago...

reapers and Deesky like this.
  18. alexpop

John Carter was written way before SW,so it's probably the other way around.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm counting 6 horrible reviews and 2 middling-to-OK reviews so far. The bad reviews are very, very specific about what didn't work in the film, particularly the story and casting.

NY Daily News: ""the movie is its own empty rocket ship, piloted by a giddy teenage boy and a crew of two sullen children, slowly creeping its way toward airless oblivion. It never stops for a minute, yet it never goes anywhere."

Indiewire: "...the vividness of this place only underscores the lifelessness of the people leading us through it."

Entertainment Weekly: “During the film’s intoxicating first 30 minutes, for example, I couldn’t decide whether what I was watching was brilliantly bonkers or total folly. Then, as the story went on, it came into sharper and sharper focus: Valerian is an epic mess.”

Cinemablend: ""It's visually stunning, beautifully prescient in its humanist themes (alien-ist too, I suppose?), and while its reach doesn't match its grasp in some respects, you're still left respecting the hell out of the reach alone."

NJ.com: "It's one thing to make a movie with a childlike sense of wonder. But "Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets" is simply childish. And the sort of French export that makes me wonder if that whole nation is somehow sneakily, brilliantly, getting back at us for Jerry Lewis."

72% on Rotten Tomatoes at the moment:
    Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

20. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

That's what I meant.

21. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

I take Valerian to help sleep at night :righton:

22. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Are we talking "Jupiter Ascending" bad, here?

23. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

In a few days, THIS will be the only 'valerian' I'LL be interested in!

[​IMG]

lobo likes this.
  24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, I agree. I kind of liked it for the most part, with a few problems, but fun overall. Nothing like Jupiter Ascending, which was dire.

Plan9 and agentalbert like this.
  25. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know it's early days for 'Valerian' but I just looked at what 'The Fifth Element' scored when it came out - 72%. And, with all it's faults, I do love that movie.

But, I am disappointed to see some of those reviews for 'Valerian'.

Still, as long as there's lots of eye candy, Deesky and I will be very happy.

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.