Valley Girl Soundtrack

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by genesim, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. genesim

genesim Forum Resident Thread Starter

I posted this same thing on visual side to promote new bluray scan from negative. Such big news for me.

Got questions. Anybody got a list of chronological order of when songs were played in movie?

I read Zero Hour was a deleted scene?? When??

Is Rock the Casbah in the current movie?

What about the background music while they are making out in car?

Lastly what about the identity of all songs cut and where were did they occur?

2. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident

Useless info:

When Nick Cage and "the val" are entering the dive club, there is a handbill stapled to the wall for an upcoming show for a pre-"Married With Children", Katey Sagal.

Also... the maid on TV's Too Close For Comfort (Gina?) appears as an uncredited extra in the background of the beach scene.

Sorry, I don't have song info committed to memory. I don't even remember which of the two Plimsouls hit songs the band played in the club. My best guess is "A Million Miles Away".

3. genesim

Thank you for the trivia. I love it.

From memory Everywhere at Once is when they sat down, A Million Miles Away when they kiss.

Oldest Story in the world is rght before Randy makes out/bangs? ex. A Million Miles Away again after he sees some valley looking girls in bathroom.

Mike Reynolds likes this.
  4. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

The soundtrack to the Vestron laserdisc that I used to own contained these songs, appearing in the film in this order:

Girls Like Me - Bonnie Hayes & The Wild Combo
    Angst In My Pants - Sparks
    Jukebox (Don't Put Another Dime) - The Flirts
    The Fanatic - Felony
    Eyes Of A Stranger - Payola$
    Electric Avenue - Eddy Grant
    Shelly's Boyfriend - Bonnie Hayes & The Wild Combo
    Love My Way - Psychedelic Furs
    Who Can It Be Now? - Men At Work
    I La La La Love You - Pat Travers
    Everywhere At Once - The Plimsouls
    A Million Miles Away - The Plimsouls
    Time To Win - Gary Myrick & The Figures
    She Talks In Stereo - Gary Myrick & The Figures
    I Melt With You - Modern English
    Eaten By The Monster Of Love - Sparks
    Oldest Story In The World - The Plimsouls
    School Is In - Josie Cotton
    Johnny, Are You Queer? - Josie Cotton
    He Could Be The One - Josie Cotton
    I Melt With You (End Credit Reprise) - Modern English

I was only 12 when the film was released in the theater, so I never saw it first run, but I've never seen
    a cut of the film with the Culture Club, The Jam, Bananarama or The Clash songs that were in the closing credits list.

From wikipedia: "The end credits show songs by The Clash, Culture Club, Bananarama, and The Jam, but those songs are not heard in the film.
    After the film was completed, problems arose in acquiring the music rights and substitute songs had to be dubbed in."

I was always under the impression that the above quote is correct, that those songs were intended, but couldn't be used and it was too late to change the closing credit text.

Who Can It Be Now? was removed from the bathroom scene at the house party where Randy is hiding in the shower waiting for Julie and replaced with incidental music for the MGM DVD release.
    This was the only change between my laserdisc and the DVD release as far as I remember

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  5. genesim

Awesome!! Thank you so much!!

The only thing I would do different is put Million Miles Away in again. I know School is In is played twice....but I think it being so close together is too much.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  6. DetroitDoomsayer

Love My Way (house party and when Julie is getting ready for prom), School Is In and A Million Miles Away are all in the film twice, though I forget where School and A Million are the second time.
    These repeats may be a clue as to where songs by The Clash, The Jam, Bananarama and Culture Club might have been before their removal from the film. The back seat make out session may be another place where
    a song was supposed to be (radio in the car) instead of some incidental music.

7. genesim

Oh man that kills me. I coud see the movie being better for it. I appreciate this addition. There is another poster that has a video tape of an HBO broadcast that has at least Culture Club still in and I fibd this plausible because of HBO getting things before video rental.

8. genesim

I gotta bump this again because I am putting together the soundtrack before I get the bluray and I want in order of the movie.

I really wish I knew where the other songs were originally supposed to be because I think it would make the soundtrack stronger!

It was my understanding that perhaps where Love My Way was at the house party Do You Really Want to Hurt Me existed.

9. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

Tommy, played by Michael Bowen, is also the same guy that played Jack, the Neo Nazi gang member in Breaking Bad.

Jack Lord and blastfurniss like this.
  10. genesim

Yes absolutely. I also like him in Jackie Brown and Lost. He is almost typecast because is such a good a-hole!

blastfurniss and Nightfly68 like this.
  11. It was "A Million Miles Away" - this was cited specifically in the short review Trouser Press published at the time. It mentioned how off it was to have a power pop song being performed at what was ostensibly a punk club, and that the movie missed an opportunity to better delineate the culture clash between the main characters via their music.

trumpet sounds and genesim like this.
  12. genesim

Bullocks, it worked. BUT I do appreciate the information very much so!

By the way, that song was repeated later when he came back to the club after getting with his ex which was right after Oldest Story in the world. I considered the Plimsouls like new wave not "pop", and being a kick ass live band in that setting, it worked for me.

Love My Way was also played when she was looking at his pictures he sent her, but I have no idea where that came in the soundtrack order since I currently don't have the movie! I really want to put out the most perfect version of this soundtrack to get pumped on.

13. Rycherocker634

Rycherocker634 Forum Resident

I don't remember where I got the order from and I didn't place any song twice but Bananarama and Men At Work were between Shelley's Boyfriend and Love My away. Jam is between A million Miles Away and Time To Win. Clash is after He Could be the One. I don't own the Culture Club track. Actually, now that I think about it I copied it from the order in the credits either from VHS or a cable broadcast. I remember pausing and writing down.

14. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

Now I'm going to have to go order the new Shout Factory Blu Ray. The Plimsouls have always been the highlight of the movie for me.

Sci-Fi Kid and hutlock like this.
  15. genesim

If you order off of the website, it is cheaper and you get a limited edition poster...and it is supposed to get shipped earlier. Just a heads up.

Does the rest of the order fall in line with the movie? I currently don't have it.

16. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

This movie is so much better than it needed to be. Still holds up. The music is so much a part of it, that it's very easy to read through that song list and 'see' the entire movie in your head.

Repo Man is similar in that regard but Valley Girl among, or perhaps the best with regard to use of pop songs.

17. genesim

The rub with me is two things.

The repeated songs A Million Miles Away and I Melt with You worked perfectly, but was a more perfect soundtrack/movie with the repeated Love My Way and School is In?

"...I think not.":D

It should have been with those original songs and a 35 mm print existed on ebay at one point :rant:...perhaps a negative is out there too... "she's out there".

I had a video tape as I recall too.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  18. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

Josie Cotton: A teen boy's dream in 1983.

19. contium

contium Forum Resident

I just scanned thru the movie and I got this order:

Bonnie Hayes With The Wild Combo - Girls Like Me
    The Psychedelic Furs - Love My Way
    Sparks Angst In My Pants
    The Flirts - Jukebox (Don't Put Another Dime)
    Felony - The Fanatic
    Payola$ - Eyes Of A Stranger
    Eddy Grant - Electric Avenue
    Bonnie Hayes With The Wild Combo - Shelly's Boyfriend
    The Psychedelic Furs - Love My Way
    Pat Travers' Black Pearl* - I La La La Love You
    The Plimsouls - Everywhere At Once
    The Plimsouls - A Million Miles Away
    Gary Myrick & The Figures - Time To Win
    Gary Myrick & The Figures - She Talks In Stereo
    Modern English - I Melt With You
    Bonnie Hayes With The Wild Combo - Girls Like Me
    ?Little Girls -The Earthquake Song
    Sparks - Eaten By The Monster Of Love
    The Plimsouls - Oldest Story In The World
    The Plimsouls - A Million Miles Away
    Payola$ - Eyes Of A Stranger
    Josie Cotton - He Could Be The One
    Josie Cotton - School Is In
    Josie Cotton - Johnny Are You Queer ?
    Josie Cotton - He Could Be The One
    Modern English - I Melt With You

The version I watched didn't have "Who Can It Be Know?" but I believe DetroitDoomsayer list has it in the correct place. Lot's of repeats. Would be nice to know where the cut tracks fit in. Will be interesting to see the Blu-Ray as they claim all the original music will be there.

20. DetroitDoomsayer

21. contium

contium Forum Resident

I'm not completely sure of that song, hence the question mark in front of it. The music was in the background and hard to hear. The song is on the Valley Girl (More Music From The Soundtrack).

22. genesim

The Earthquake Song? Are you sure?

This is the first I heard this. Source? I also didn't know Girls Like Me Repeated.

I thank you so much for your work.

I really want to know if Zero Hour was part of a cut scene.

23. DetroitDoomsayer

That comp does have some of the songs that were missing from Rhino's Valley Girl soundtrack CD, but Valley Girl (More Music From The Soundtrack), is more of just an '80s collection.
    there are a lot of songs on there that aren't from the film.
    It's been a while since I had the DVD (I'm all in for the blu-ray) but I don't remember 'The Earthquake Song' listed in the end credits, either.

24. sgtsteiner

sgtsteiner Lives Life in 20Bit K2 Processing

This is the track list from a vinyl comp a friend did. The sources are the Japanese Reissue, the Test Pressing and an unreleased bootleg from "Avatar Communications" :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  25. talangan

talangan Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.