Valley Girl Soundtrack

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by genesim, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. genesim

genesim Forum Resident Thread Starter

This just gets weirder and weirder. I am stumped.

If you can, get some lyrics. Probably make it out that way.

2. contium

contium Forum Resident

Listened with headphones and it's Not "The Earthquake Song". Sorry about that. I thinks its "Girls Like Me" continuing.

3. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Jesus I absolutely ADORE this movie. I am I in for the bluray. Thanks for the heads up. I'm glad so many other Forumites love this flick like I do. Whenever people talk about what a d-bag Nic Cage turned into later on, my retort is always, "Well yeah, but... Valley Girl."

4. contium

contium Forum Resident

Gary Myrick & The Figures - Time To Win

5. sgtsteiner

sgtsteiner Lives Life in 20Bit K2 Processing

"I know what it is, Julie. It's your friends. It's your f--king friends."

colgems1966 likes this.
  6. genesim

What is the scene? Man I wish I had it now!!

7. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

and... RAISING ARIZONA!

woody and hutlock like this.
  8. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

He was also the rapist in Kill Bill.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  9. genesim

How I forgot to name that I will never know!

Preorder at Shout Factory...get it early...get a free poster!

Edgard Varese and hutlock like this.
  10. contium

contium Forum Resident

During the girls slumber party while they are talking about "size"

genesim likes this.
  11. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I have had this Blu Ray on preorder for a while. Looking forward to finally receiving it. This and Fast Times are authentic time stamps for the early 80's. Such a fun time.

Last American Virgin and The Wild Life (1984) - IMDb are two other movies that got it right, IMO. Breakfast Club is another great one.

Back in the 90's I bought the soundtrack to VG on CD. It was a new release at the time by Rhino. Practically an extension of their "Just Can't Get Enough" new wave series.

Valley Girl (Music from the Soundtrack) - Original Soundtrack | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    Jack Lord and genesim like this.
  12. genesim

I know it is not as good but Vinegar Syndrome's bluray of My Chauffeur is worth checking out. Great transfer and great extras including interview with Deborah. I think Sam Jones is really good and it still has that great 80's feel and she is so great in it.

Couldn't agree more, though I put Last American Virgin almost as high.

The Arrow version version has great extras but Olive has the better transfer.

PhantomStranger and artfromtex like this.
  13. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Oh that is definitely my plan!

14. davers

davers Forum Resident

Very cool song BTW! Wounded Bird reissued Gary Myrick's catalog on CD some years ago and I was especially happy to get this song.

Galley likes this.
  15. davers

davers Forum Resident

Totally agree with your comment about Fast Times At Ridgemont High, but the soundtrack is oddly scattershot. It seems like Irving Azoff asked a bunch of his music clients to contribute any old track they had lying around. Admittedly there are a couple of good songs, but it doesn't have the cohesiveness and punch of the Valley Girl soundtrack.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    Mr. D and artfromtex like this.
  16. genesim

I got the first VHS tape and the end credits were no help because there was no order.

Regardless here is my list for the soundtrack augmenting the list by Detroit Doomsayer earlier, I left out incidental music or instrumentals:

Girls Like Me - Bonnie Hayes & The Wild Combo
    Love My Way - Psychedelic Furs
    ?-(Scene with Parents)
    Angst In My Pants - Sparks
    Jukebox (Don't Put Another Dime) - The Flirts
    The Fanatic - Felony
    Eyes Of A Stranger - Payola$
    Electric Avenue - Eddy Grant
    Shelly's Boyfriend - Bonnie Hayes & The Wild Combo
    Who Could It Be Now - Men At Work
    Love My Way - Psychedelic Furs
    I La La La Love You - Pat Travers
    Everywhere At Once - The Plimsouls
    A Million Miles Away - The Plimsouls
    Time To Win - Gary Myrick & The Figures
    She Talks In Stereo - Gary Myrick & The Figures
    I Melt With You - Modern English
    Eaten By The Monster Of Love - Sparks
    Oldest Story In The World - The Plimsouls
    A Million Miles Away - The Plimsouls
    Eyes Of A Stranger - Payola$
    School Is In - Josie Cotton
    Johnny, Are You Queer? - Josie Cotton
    He Could Be The One - Josie Cotton
    I Melt With You (End Credit Reprise) - Modern English

Also the end credits confirm in order:
    The Jam-A Town Called Malice
    Rock the Casbah-The Clash
    He Was Really Sayin' Something-Bananarama
    Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?-Culture Club

The fact that they went back to negative for the bluray, could it be that all this music has been put back in...well I can dream can't I?

17. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

Would have been totally bitchin if they had a limited ed that included the full OST!

18. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Great movie loaded with cool tunes. Lost youth ...

Love the scene in the club where he confesses his feelings while the Plimsouls sing and everyone is dancing in slow motion in the background. How many of us had moments like that?

Always wondered who sang a Monster of Love. Should I check out Sparks?

notesfrom and genesim like this.
  19. genesim

Dude laid it all on the line. I wanted to be Randy.

Then again, I also thought Tommy was the ultimate punk ass. I found him to be kinda funny. It was like the clash of two Alphas .

I always get a kick out of the killer cakes that knock people the hell out.

notesfrom and Jack Lord like this.
  20. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

For what it is worth, I heard A Million Miles Away on the radio today. Wonderful!

21. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Great song!!

Mr. D likes this.
  22. genesim

Decided to post this here too because it is sorta related to the soundtrack. This is my take on the bluray.

Ok got it. Here is my take...and I am no expert....:D I just said that because some posters love hearing that so much.

First off, the exclusive poster. Same as the cover as advertised. Total bummer. I was hoping for original poster art. NOPE. Now that said, the original poster art is on the reversable cover of the bluray. I immediately turned that around and I am pleasantly surprised that it has all the detail of the first VHS release. It really is nice to look at.

The slip cover as expected looks the same with the new art. Not a big fan of it, and it seems to mirror My Chauffeur artwork, but not as good.

The movie itself:

GRAIN. I love it. No DNR that I can see. The colors and details are lush. At first I thought there was a problem with the green being too strong, and the beginning of it is very apparent. I actually was worried when Loryn's jeans actually looked more green then blue jean. Now mind you I am comparing this with a VCR tape that has all the colors out of it, but I thought something has to be wrong. Then I look at the fluorescent lights in the mall, and thought, you know what, it all looks green!

What I kept noticing is how all the colors look so diverse and very true to the look. Examples of this are the Andy Warhol Elizabeth Taylor with very specific Red lips and Blue eye shadow, the Heinz red, Winchell's Donut House yellow, Rainbow Bar and Grill Purple and Green etc.... While there are some people that think you can color correct by "gut", getting these things right is paramount to getting an idea of how the film should look. There is not doubt in my mind that this is more right than wrong and what we have here is some special care.

The movie looks so film like and the back to negative gives it a whole new life. It has a Vinegar Syndrome bluray look and this is a very very good thing.

The details do pop and a great example of this is how the pantyhose that are shown constantly throughout the movie are easily seen down to the sheen on Purcell's leg. Very nice indeed. Matter of fact, the perv in me can see the pantyhose line up Stacey's stomach. Now that is detail!

To say this transfer is heavenly is an understatement. Comparing to the utter crap I have lived with since the VHS days, this is really a cut above. The Viper Room is a great example of where the detail comes to life and the darkness that I could barely make out...even on the DVD...is just so nice here.

Here are some screenshots if you want to get an idea, but seeing on your own screen is best.

Valley Girl – Blu-ray Screenshots

I have tracked through many dark scenes and see no macroblocking, or compression artifacts. There is also no edge enhancements or haloing at all. While I detected some blur like in the scene with them listening to the dedication from Randy, I put this off to how it was filmed.

The music is all intact (sadly, not the ones mentioned before that were cut for most of the audience). This is just about as good as it gets. I my first impressions is that the 5.1 DTS Master Audio is nice and full with some great separation and dare I say some nice surrounds, for example, in the club scenes. The 2.0 sounds well mixed as well. Usually original mixes can sound thin, but this is not the case here. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

As for extras, most are listed, so I won't bore with that.

The 50 min HD interview with Martha Coolidge and "Loryn" and "Stacey" looks great as well as Heidi Holicker show and tell with her original album and pictures and framed notes from Martha is very nice addition as well as the extra documentary and extended interviews (not in HD).

I could keep typing, but I am ready to enjoy all this. This purchase is simply a no-brainer for fans of the 80's and already fans of the film. Truly a perfect upgrade. Hope this information helps.

WHAT A GREAT MOVIE!

Galley, ricks and contium like this.
  23. Centralscrutinizer

Centralscrutinizer Forum Resident

Nothing to do with the thread subject but just wanted to say Barf Out, Gag Me With A Spoon :D

24. genesim

I always took both to be a bulimia reference. A little 80's edge.

25. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I could swear i remember the culture club song being in there when it was on HBO (or was it ONTV?) back in the day, or am i just imagining it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.