Van der Graaf Generator Album Poll: Pawn Hearts (1971)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mirror Image, Aug 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner Thread Starter

Perhaps you’re expecting grandiose soloing from the musicians or expecting it to sound a certain way? I mean I understand if you just don’t like the music, but it’d be nice to know whether or not you understand that VdGG were just a different kind of band that relied heavily on atmosphere and less on pyrotechnics, although, there is actually plenty of this happening within the music, it’s just presented in a completely different way.

2. A great album just crying out for a superior remastering.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  3. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWV

Perhaps I was fortunate. I bought PH's 'Fool's Mate' first, intrigued by the cover (Paul Whitehead again). Loved that LP, so I quickly followed it up with 'The Least We Can Do....' ('Aerosol Grey Machine' wasn't stocked by the record store I frequented, so I wasn't aware of it until a few years later). 'The Least...' was an instant winner with me, even though I wasn't a big fan of progressive rock, other than Hawkwind. The sounds that Hugh Banton and David Jackson produced on that album are extraordinary.

4. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

A masterpiece - no Prog fan should be without it.

jgermann, Slim Zooms and Pete Puma like this.
  5. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Not my favourite VDGG but it IS their 'definitive statement'.

Slim Zooms and Mirror Image like this.
  6. Margrave

Margrave I'll Give It 5

Brilliant album by my most favourite band, although I’ve several most favourites - lets say when it comes to progressive folk there is none better. Mr Hammill is national treasure.

Pawn Hearts is masterpiece & should be compulsory in national curriculum. Who cares if you don’t know much about geography, don’t know much about history as long as you know your Van Der Graaf.

Yes Pawn Hearts is one of best albums in universe even if, as everybody agrees, it’s not VDGs best LP.

7. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

[​IMG]

8. How does it sound? I generally shy away from all SHM releases as they are quite expensive and often offer nothing but reused mastering, or worse. Some have been well received, but I don't recall how this one rated.

9. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Definitely not a reused mastering. Sounds much closer to the original CD issue, but with a tad more detail. But, yeah, not cheap any more.

If you can handle SACD, I'd recommend this one:
    Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts

albertop and Pete Puma like this.
  10. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

One of the best records ever made.

midniteinsanjuan and GowG like this.
  11. Thanks!

12. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

No! I was not expecting the music to sound in any way whatsoever. Music like art, affects people in different ways. One thing I do give them credit for, is that they didn't sound like anyone else and the sound was their own. I just wasn't my cup of tea, that all.

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  13. Killer grabbed me immediately when I first heard it as part of a progressive rock box set. Pawn Hearts and He are my favorites. I never warmed up to GodBluff and beyond.

Nick Dunning likes this.
  14. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

Has anyone heard the other VDGG Japan SACD's or CD's?
    I wouldn't mind picking up a few of those if they are mastered well.

15. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

Love this and other Japanese reissues of the VDGG catalogue. They are all flat transfers. Highly recommended!

stax o' wax likes this.
  16. sleepjar

sleepjar Underachiever

Although I'd been a fan of PH and VdGG for many years, this album was an exception. It took me several years to warm up to Pawn Hearts, but as with many albums over the years, I literally woke up one morning and realized I loved it. The time had come. It is now one of my all time favorites, by anyone.
    I have no idea how I'd describe it to someone.

17. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  18. So where's Fripp on this album then?

19. There a thread on point where it’s stated the Japanese universal SACD, the platinum SHN and the plain SHN released in 2015-16 are each flat transfers. I’ll let you know whether mine is, or whether it’s the squashed 2005 mastering.

albertop likes this.
  20. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

It's hard to tell....he plays a very minor role. A lot of people mistake some of Hugh Banton's Keyboard sounds for Fripp.

21. nsmith1002

nsmith1002 Forum Resident

I hear him playing very softly in the left channel during the "Presence of the Night" section of "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers".

It's not the usual sustained fuzz tone associated with Fripp but more of a staccato jazzy style (I think there's a few chords thrown in here and there also).

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    midniteinsanjuan and Beeb Fader like this.
  22. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

You should really give some of their earlier, more song-based songs a chance - "Refugees" (one of the most beautiful songs ever-written) or even some of the songs from "The aerosol grey machine" (which I consider a great album btw) , actually the best way to start with PH/ VDGG in my opinion is Peter's "Fool's mate" album or "Over" (now these are what I call masterpieces)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

23. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I had been listening to the main prog bands for years when I decided to give Pawn Hearts a go & loved it straight away, especially the two 'shorter' tracks.

Having said that, that was a couple of years back & I've yet to buy any of their other albums, Godbluff would be next on the shopping list.

Slim Zooms and Crimson Witch like this.
  24. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Picked this up yesterday for a fiver, not heard it for over forty years. I only remember "Theme One" as it was Fluff Freemans Saturday Rock Show theme tune. Will vote later after I've had a memory refresher listen later on today.

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.