Van Hagar's Last Stand..Eddie Van Halen goes berserk!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cousin It, Nov 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member Thread Starter

Oh boy !! Whatta a night !! This in from the VH forums. :eek: :o

aftershock5's review- just so we can have a separate topic for it..so we canleave that one for reviews..otherwise that thing will get chaotic...

Hey Everyone,

Just got back to the hotel & I have one word for this band & EVH: OVER

My heart is broken, in as many pieces as EVH broke 2 guitars on stage in disgust.

I cannot even begin to explain how disgusted I am right now, except for Soundcheck, Sammy, Mike & Alex.

Please understand that I have followed =VH= as my favorite band w/ Dave & Sam. Tonight, Sam, Mike & Alex out-****ing-classed EVH.

The man broke his 1st guitar & subsequently told the crowd, ****ed out of his mind, that this is it, it's over-pointed to Sammy & Mike & Said, There's the King.

Soundcheck was incredible & everybody there was so cool (What up Rebel-You are the Man for getting Sam's sig. on the shirt they gave us-Thanks )

SHOWTIME:

Everything seemed to be cool until UFB, in which Sammy made a comment, "Some of us were UFB." Probably in reference to EVH holding soundcheck up for almost 2 hours-Mike & Alex were so ****ing embarrased. Mike stayed & signed tons of stuff & was so cool to us all. Now I wouldn't think much of that if this hadn't been my 37th show, 5 this year.

EVH was LIVID. I don't know if it was that comment that set him off, or if it was B/C Valerie was there or he was incredibly drunk. All I know is that I saw my hero tonight put on a great performance, but after his solo, something snapped:

* He broke 2 guitars on stage in pure furry. One almost went into the crowd & could of really hurt someone. He then destroyed the second one, which almost hit Sammy, who was just like, What the ****? Mike & Alex too. You could see their faces as Eddie made comment after comment:

This is it.

It's over.

Never again.

Pointed @ Sam & Mike & said, there's the king. Made another comment before he broke his beautiful guitar, which sounded blissful all night, that he was in a bad mood, throw something @ me if you don't like what I am playin'. I loved his solo for the 5th time & was very moved when Wolfgang came on stage. They played together beautifully before Eddie absolutely lost it. I am not kidding you all-he totally lost it on stage.

Not only did he insult the crowd by making us feel very uncomfortable by his antics, he made an absolute fool of himself & this will be the turning point for EVH: He will either seek help or he will be dead.

It kills me to say that, as I have loved the man since I put Women & Children 1st in my 8-track for the 1st time.

He was so cool during soundcheck, but before the 1st encore, he went insane.

Sammy, Mike & Al were absolute professionals, as they came back out & did everything they could to salvage a disgusting night. This after Ed broke his 1st guitar in an absolute rage. He made no friendly gestures to Sammy, as Sammy tried several times to get him out of the state he was in. It only pissed him off more.

I am going to conclude now, as this will be my last post-I am that disgusted. Thank God for Sammy, Mike & Alex-They were so fun tonight, before Eddie had his melt-down:

* Getting furious that Sam's wife came out & sprayed him w/ Whip-it's-He would not continue the show while he shaked his head like a ****ing 2 year old & made us all wait while the crew busted their *** to clean up a few spots. More harmful was his guitar & its cord. He tripped on it 1nce-Sammy tried to help him up & Ed just looked @ him like **** you.

* Valerie came out & hugged/kissed Wolfie, who I felt very sorry for-He was playin' w/ Sammy's son all night-I had front row, EVH side-I saw everything.

ONE more thing before I go & pray for this man: He almost hit Sammy w/ the 2nd guitar he broke & Sammy looked like he was going to kill him.

REBEL will back me up on these happenings-I have not even gotten started & am too sick to say anymore.

=VH= is over w/ Sammy & Mike-NO ****ING DOUBT.

So w/ a boken heart, but thankful of the 5* experience (everybody was so ****ing cool-I had a blast w/ ya'all & am so sorry that we had to witness the absolute meltdown of the man that has brought us so much happiness over the years.)

God bless you all again-YOU all/Soundcheck, Mike, Sammy & Alex made it a night to remember

Unfortunately, Eddie made it a night to remember too.

Look out for the news articles tomorrow & subsequent posts. There is so much more to this story, but I'm too sick to go on.

And BTW, I stopped drinking after the 1st incident w/ Sammy-Those of you that were there know what I'm talking about. Please finish my story-I can't type one more word, I'm so disgusted

2. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Jeez, what a bummer...I guess Eddie needs some help. I hate to hear that his talent is going to go to waste. All I can say guys is lets pray for him. Hope to God he gets it together. I'm sure things aren't easy for him after his ordeal with Cancer.

3. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I'll wait for the official news story, or word from the VH camp. That guy sounded like a 12 year old girl describing a schoolyard fight!

4. CT Dave

CT Dave Senior Member

Yes, trying to make sense out of that gibberish was torture. It was like trying to understand a foreign language.

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I have a friend who went. I'll have to ask him...

6. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

It's being talked about on vhlinks.com - go to the Forums, "Main VH Discussion". It's a lonnnnnnnnnng thread. Oh, and be prepared for locker room language.

7. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I checked the Arizona on-line papers......they only had a review for Thursday's show.

8. Casemeister

Casemeister Forum Resident

Pretty big news at the "Links." I'd like to see a few more reviews before I decide just what the hell happened. Some say it was in good fun, some say it wasn't. He could have smashed the guitar(s) because of Peavey and how things have gone bad with them. Maybe he was sick of the various technical problems he's had on the tour. It could be anything. Hopefully it's not too bad, though.

Sadly, things like this are becoming more and more common from Eddie Van Halen. He's become a bit odd...

9. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Like totally bummer dude. U R not going 2 B C-ing EVH w/VH anymore. Like ya know? Totally like , oh-ma, gawd.

10. Casemeister

To defend the guy who wrote the original post at the Links, I think he did it at something like 1:30 in the morning after the show. The facts are there, even if they are a little hard to understand at times...

11. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I feel more sorry for the guy that wrote that. Can you say Hooked On Phonics?

So EVH is drinking again. I highly doubt that VH is over because of this one night. Maybe Eddie just snapped. Having your ex-wife on the road is probably not the greatest thing in the world.

12. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I'm just as coherent at 1 am as I am now! :D

Facts? hmmmm........let's say "his version".

13. Casemeister

It's 1:55 where I am now....

By "facts" I did mean "his version." They certainly seem to be the facts as he sees them. Personally I think he's going a little too far. It's looking less and less like Ed went totally crazy, which is the way that guy made it seem.

Ed used to be the happy, smiling drunk like we all saw in the Jump video. Now he's looking and acting more like an old wino...

14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I thought Eddie was divorced. Having an ex-wife around is enough to stress anyone out. This looks like Eddie should go solo, I mean guitar with no singing like Satriani and Vai. Lead singers are very tough to deal with. Huge egos.

I wonder what was in there air last night considering the riot in Detroit as well.

15. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Congratulations. You have single handedly produced the worst example of writing I have ever encountered.

Shortened quote: -=R=-

16. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Wow, first ZZ Top, now EVH with the furry guitars! :D

17. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Same here. :agree:

18. Grant

One guy told me a little while ago that he's been hearing about it on the radio all morning.

19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Only if his first gig is at the Betty Ford Center. Someone needs to do an intervention here. If even half the drunken Eddie stories I've heard are true, it sounds like he really needs some help.

20. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

These "Eddie meltdown stories" have been going on since this tour started. It's almost as if he has been on a "watch". Is everyone watching his every move??

I'm the furthest thing from a VH fan - I own none of their material and have zippo emotional/nostalgic investment in their reunion. The main reason I read these threads is....

Does anyone else see the similarities in the emotional fan base between VH and The Beatles?? The Beatles came along at a time when the original rock n' roll scene had been commercialized by the Fabians and Avalons - even post army Elvis. The only "real" thing happening in that genre at the time was Motown and Cameo-Parkway. And the good ol' USA was little bit to uptight to embrace that, until the Fabs showed them it was OK.

Van Halen showed up at a time when "album rock" was falling to the wayside and disco dominated the charts. What was left of rock had become very slick and safe (think Boston and Fleetwood Mac). There was the "punk rock" alternative - but it seemed to come with a fashion and lifestyle requirement that didn't jive with the general masses of kids that just wanted to rock out. Van Halen brought things back to basics, without feeling you had to make a personal statement.

What is the similarity???

Two things I've learned are fruitless: criticizing The Beatles to a Beatles fan, or criticizing Van Halen to a VH fan. There is a lot of blind love in these two fan bases. I cannot count how many times I've read about EVH slacking through a specific concert on the last tour - only to hear other audience members saying it was the best ever.

Cancer
    Ex-wife in the house.
    Company executives dictating band member requirements.
    A sibling in the band.
    ..and your trying to kick a major drinking problem.

Kinda like a soap opera, 'innit?

21. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

I believe it would have been good for Eddie to 'in-halen,' and then 'ex-halen' and count to 10 before turning out this tantrum. Next thing you know he'll be on the papers as a resulto of a heart attack.

It's surprising what stress can do to a person.

22. Grant

Well, you should get a couple of their albums to see what we are talking about!

Since I did not become aware of Van Halen until 1981, my attachment to early VH is acedemic. I have no first-hand understanding or emotional ties to why they exploded on the musical scene. I can see how they were a fresh sound in a sea of Boston, Styx, and Eagles, but I didn't feel it. But, what I finally became familiar with is so good, that I did develop an attachment to the music, NOT the band itself. However, I have strong opinions of Sammy and David. Sammy's style wears on my nerves, but I never get tired of hearing DLR. They are just a whole different band when they are with DLR.

Oh well, just rambling...I doubt anyone reads it anyway...

23. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Just dawned on me.....the "it's over" line EVH supposedly said........maybe he meant the tour? It is finished now. People read a lot into stuff.....so who knows

24. sprocket

sprocket Active Member

I'm glad that I was not the only one who was confused by the rambling.

25. johnski

johnski New Member

Ed has been nuts for quite some time. Oh well that's Rock and Roll kids!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.