Van Halen 1984 inner sleeve photograph

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daltieri, Jan 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daltieri

daltieri The 80`s kick ass Thread Starter

I have searched all over the internet and found no explanation.
    Can some one tell me please what are the aligned cylinders in the inner sleeeve of that album? :hide:

Platterpus likes this.
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

3. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

To me they appear to be chrome PAR 64 stage lights grouped together, face down.

daltieri likes this.
  4. daltieri

daltieri The 80`s kick ass Thread Starter

Excelent!!!
    Thank you guys!
    :wave:

5. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

That's what they looked like to me...thought they were beauty dishes (photography lighting kit) at first but stage lights made far more sense.

6. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

That’s cool to find out. I never really knew what they were either.

7. With Roth, you well might imagine there was a loose double entendre intended with the lined up cans.

c-eling and ModernDayWarrior like this.
  8. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I was just thinking the same thing. You know that it had to be Dave who came up with a lot of the artwork and packaging concepts.
    Honestly, without Dave, a lot of what made classic Van Halen great and imaginative was from his mind. I don’t think he gets the props he deserves. Even Sammy said it in an interview, when Dave was in the band he ran the band and same with Sammy when he was in the band. After Sammy left and Eddie took over, that’s when the tailspin downward started. Sadly it never recovered even with Dave back. Eddie pretty much has the reigns now.

9. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Surely they're ash trays?

10. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Though, looking again, maybe not.... It's funny, I haven't ever really paid them any attention. I bought the album when it was released, took a single look at the photo and thought, "Ash trays! Nice joke" and have never considered it again...

11. mishh

mishh New Member

I just played my copy of 1984 from 1984. Great album and I have that sleeve too. I been addicted to DAVEtv lately. Its really funny and totally GORDY!!

12. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

When I saw those metal cylinders, I assumed it had to do with the time I was growing up in, the Cold War. I thought they were some sort of weapon.

13. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

I always thought it was dozens of upturned shot glasses or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.