Van Halen - Hair Metal or not?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uly Gynns, Jun 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Eruption, Atomic Punk, and In a Simple Rhyme are pretty heavy, as well.

2. jackson123

jackson123 Forum Resident

Hair Metal? No. Influenced/Created? Yes.

Blender likes this.
  3. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

That is true. I know on the whole Bon Jovi deserve to be called 'hair metal' but they weren't as one-dimensional as Warrant or Poison, for example. They did have that Bruce-like element to their sound too; the 'heartland rock' style. So on that one album (New Jersey), you had the textbook power ballad ("I'll Be There For You"), the textbook 'hair metal' rocker ("Bad Medicine"), and also Springsteen-ish rockers like "Born To Be My Baby" and "Living In Sin" that aren't really representative of hair metal, and all were top 40 hits.

4. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Hair Metal:

[​IMG]

Metal, where your look is more important than your content.

5. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

IMO Def Leppard was not a Hair Band, and was not regarded as such.

Nevertheless, their album sales in the 90s were clearly not anywhere close to what they sold in the 1980s. Their entire 1990s catalog probably didn't sell as many USA copies as either Hysteria or Pyromania did by themselves.

6. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

Yes. I agree that if one really examines Great White's music, there is a lot of 70s boogie in it that most Hair Bands did not dabble in. But still, at the time, they were clearly lumped in with the Hair contingent. That's how the mass of rock fans viewed them fairly or not.

Plus, let's face it, "Rock Me" is one of the greatest Hair anthems ever. That song is awesome. :)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. marty34

marty34 Forum Resident

"Hair Metal" has become a derogatory term, almost no one wants a band they like to be considered hair metal. Van Halen, Def Leppard, Motley Crüe, these bands are vastly different from one another, both in look and sound. But they all had long hair and played heavier music, and most importantly they sold albums, tickets and merchandise...they made money. It's the money these bands made in the early 80's that spawned the hair metal movement. Van Halen, along with a few others, were the genesis of hair metal, and they certainly capitalized on the genre they helped create. I think they gave hair metal it's California attitude, and they were a huge player. I voted yes

tkl7 likes this.
  8. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident

Hair metal, baby!

[​IMG]

(McAuley Schenker Group's "Perfect Timing", if you're interested.)

danielbravo likes this.
  9. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

That's hair extensions metal. I love Schenker but that was not a good look.

Dudley Morris and evh5150 like this.
  10. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

hair metal was more an 80's invention and proliferated there, VH did their best work prior to that but may have been a progenitor of hair metal due to DLR's image.

11. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

say what you want...much more fun than the "I'm so sad" 90's

Holy Diver likes this.
  12. Extra Dry

Extra Dry Forum Resident

The beginning of glam metal? Ok. I thought Queen was there already.:shrug:

evh5150 likes this.
  13. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

I dissent in part and concur in part! I concur that Van Halen was certainly a huge influence on the Hair scene. All the Hair singers wanted to look like Roth and all the Hair guitarists wanted to shred like Eddie. BUT, I totally dissent from the notion that they capitalized on the genre. The Van Hagar incarnation that existed during the height of the Hair scene (1986-1990, IMO) was decidedly NOT a Hair act. They were far more "Adult Contemporary", clearly distinct musically and in terms of their image in videos and the like, from Hair.

Rather than capitalize on that, Van Hagar distanced themselves from it.

14. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Van Halen were just ****e cheese hard Rock. Most unimaginative bass player ever?

15. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Absolutely not. Hard rock all the way.

16. laf848

laf848 Forum Resident

I agree. Also, they have made great music.

17. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

There is no such thing as hair metal...
    But if you are asking if Van Halen are heavy metal, the answer is YES.

18. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Yes, Van Halen was Hair Metal. And Nirvana was Grunge and the Ramones were Punk.

All three spawned a lot of bad music in their influential wake, but that doesn't mean they're responsible for it.

19. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

No, that would be Nikki Sixx. :laugh:

danielbravo likes this.
  20. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

"In A Simple Rhyme" is a stellar example of the kind of arena rock sound that was big when I was in high school. I have always had issues with that style, but when I hear that song, it just redeems it. Truly a forgotten classic.

Rocketdog and Holy Diver like this.
  21. Extra Dry

Extra Dry Forum Resident

That is what I thought then. But now, he is a fine bass player.IMO.:uhhuh:

22. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I don't think VH was "hair metal" but I do think they were a major contributor to the style that spawned the genre (VH in general and Roth in particular).

As to whatever was going on in the early 80’s in Los Angles that spawned the style, I can’t imagine just as I can’t imagine why the guy’s with the puffed up hair got all the girls.

It is interesting that “hair metal” is a double derogatory term. The actual hair metal bands do not want to be referred to as hair metal. Also the “real” metal bands don’t want anything to do with the association.

23. Blender

Blender Forum Resident

It's kind of hard to judge, as Ed may have been playing bass on some of the songs. A lot of VH bass lines are boring and rudimentary (e.g., Running With the Devil), while others are quite good (e.g., In a Simple Rhyme, Dirty Movies, Push Comes to Shove).

24. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Who cares? It's become a recognized genre and term in music and cultural history. It's no different than calling The Association and the like, "sunshine pop"---nobody called it that in 1967 either. Labels and terms always enter the lexicon after the moment itself. Everyone has a gripe about names and terms ---this guy doesn't want it to be called "jazz"; that guy doesn't like "prog" or "yacht rock" or "indie" or "alternative" or "new-grass" or whatever. Rolling Stone had a recent feature on the "Best Hair Metal" bands. The term is out there and has been for a long time. The image of hair metal, such as it was, is inseparable from the music itself. Maybe it's not a "cool" sounding moniker, like "death metal" or "black metal" but most of the time we don't get to choose our nicknames.

Stormrider77 and cgw like this.
  25. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Add Jim 'Dandy' Mangrum to the list for Dave.

Matthew Tate and broccolid like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.