Van Halen - Hair Metal or not?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uly Gynns, Jun 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I voted "Yes". Van Halen's music was heavy yet there was a melodic, poppy element in their sound that attracted many listeners who normally wouldn't gravitate toward heavy rock.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  2. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Same here, based on their wretched hit remakes, I'd label them the worst cover band of all time. Their original mateiral was more tolerable but only because there wasn't already a superior version to compare it to.

dino77 likes this.
  3. Tom Infinit

Tom Infinit New Member

well, any Hardrock to Heavy Metal band in the 80s that was styled for success and attempted to have some chart hit could be called hair Metal, it was a thing of the times rather than a distinct style.
    but I recently discovered what a great album 1984 is when you just skip Jump. it´s really varied, even uncommercially weird at certain places, and the R/S Alsdorf pressing is sounding incredible on vinyl. sad they didn´t include this on the LP:

4. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Yes. They had the hair and the mantights.

5. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Me. Or I wouldn't have posted my comment in the first place. Should be rather obvious.

6. broccolid

broccolid Trickologist

I've always said the holy trinity of hair metal influences are as follows:
    1) Van Halen--Biggest contributions: guitar technique, frontman persona, background vocal style.
    2) KISS--Biggest contributions--stage design and pyrotechnics, lyrics about decadent rock lifestyle, template for making heavy songs poppy.
    3) Cheap Trick--Biggest contributions: outlandish guitar designs, strong pop melodies, adding mugging goofiness to heavy rock, prototypical "pretty" blonde male singer.

Other major influences in creating the style would include Aerosmith, AC/DC, New York Dolls, Sweet, and of course Led Zep and Deep Purple.

tkl7 likes this.
  7. anti PC.

anti PC. Forum Resident

I had no idea hair could play an instrument or sing.

Holy Diver likes this.
  8. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

You're right. I shouldn't have said that. Now it's too late to edit. I hope the rest of my post gave you thought, at least.

9. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

With Eddie being the way he is, I can't believe he wouldn't have used that against Mike if it were true. Earlier this year when he said he had to show Mike what to play , what he didn't say was "Yeah, I played half of that stuff anyway." So, I think that shows that Mike played all the bass on those records.

10. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I didn't know metal could, either.

11. progrocker71

It did and I understand. But just because something has come into common usage doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

I really don't like over-classifying music, I'm not anti-genre, but I think we only need about 10% of the ones that already exist, let alone creating new ones. It's just grown to laughable proportions in the age of the internet. When a form of music like heavy metal ends up with 100 friggin' subgenres it's time to take a step back from the painting, cause we're standing too close to see it.

Jimmy Agates and Blender like this.
  12. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Ha! Don't be distracted by Eddie and Dave. Look at Michael Anthony... no member of Motley Crue would have ever come onstage dressed like that. And even Eddie and Dave are more flirting with the hair metal look than embracing it.

As for the poll, I'd say NO, Van Halen were not hair metal, although I agree they influenced it and maybe even started it. But I wouldn't put them in the same category with Motley Crue, Warrant, Poison, Dokken, Whitesnake, etc etc.

In terms of in-concert shots, this shows a better contrast. Again, Michael Anthony robs them of any "hair metal" look they might have been going for:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    Purple likes this.
  13. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Poodle Rock

14. Blender

Blender Forum Resident

Yeah, I have only read speculation and rumors. Still, the intro bass line to Dirty Movies sounds more like Ed than anything Anthony plays on other tracks.

15. progrocker71

Another meaningless term.

zen likes this.
  16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Well, they looked like poodles and they played rock in quite a prettyfied way. Get it?
    I'm not putting them down because there was a sense of humour in what they did and I really like those early albums.

17. Extra Dry

Extra Dry Forum Resident

So Mean Streets is Ed. VH playing then. Wow! Thanks I did not know that.

18. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

They were glam metal.

Rooster_Ties and Holy Diver like this.
  19. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Whatever you call them, this guy still rules!

[​IMG]

danielbravo likes this.
  20. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Glam Metal is a tolerable term. Hair Metal is completely crucifying.
    Perhaps, some day, a writer will refer to Punk as Snot Rock and have that linger for decades.
    Dave was all over the map style wise.
    Eddie was Venice Beach.
    The other two are the typical rock rhythm section.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. zen

zen Senior Member

Strange, I always thought of VH as hard rock.

danielbravo and SEV like this.
  22. broccolid

broccolid Trickologist

Maybe, but I would go further and say that VH may be to metal what the Velvet Underground was to alternative rock. They literally launched several sub-genres of metal on their own. There were very few viable metal acts prior to VH's first album. Within 3-4 years, metal was all over the place, with most of the bands bearing much more of a resemblance to VH than Black Sabbath, although many of these acts that followed also owed a heavy debt to Judas Priest.

23. progrocker71

Van Halen inspired the US metal stuff; Motley Crue and their ilk. They also inspired a legion of guitarists. Their influence remained on all the hard rock/glam rock/hair metal/stuff to get your girlfriend wet stuff the major labels and MTV loved.

But the REAL influence on metal was still British. Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Venom, Motorhead and rest of NWOBHM which inspired the thrash movement and offered a much needed dose of the real, a nice contrast to the makeup and hair ******** coming out of the Sunset Strip.

24. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

It doesn`t matter because the music is greater than whatever trend or category they may or may not be in or how much hairspray they used.

25. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Van Halen Hair Metal ? Nah ! Van Halen= Supersonic Rock & Roll with a turbocharged engine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.