Van halen, original cds or remasters???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by henry babenko, Jun 23, 2017.

1. henry babenko

henry babenko Forum Resident Thread Starter

So, would you say that the 2001 remasters are good. or just stick to the originals 80's cds?? thanks.

2. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

neither. the hdtracks remasters.

3. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

^ I assume you mean the 24/192 versions since the 24/96 ones are just as compressed as the 2015 CDs?

I have all of the original US CDs except for Women and Children First and Fair Warning. For those 2, I have the 2001 remasters. The HDCD layers actually sound quite nice and dynamic. The 80's CDs are fine, even if they're from higher-gen tapes and are a bit bass-shy. 5150 and OU812 are good too, though I can see why people want them to be remastered. I've always wanted to get the DCC of the debut, but the prices are absolutely unreasonable IMHO. Is the improvement over the original CD really worth what people are asking for it? No offense, I'm just curious.

danielbravo and wavethatflag like this.
  4. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The 2015 24/192 downloads. And replace VH1 with the DCC gold VH1 for optimal results...

hiterss, johnny q and jackinbox like this.
  5. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

The 2001 remasters sound good to me, but others here will hate them. They are HDCD and sound better in a HDCD Player. They are very cheap to purchase, buy one and check them out. The originals sound thin and have weak bass. They are also cheap to purchase. There is also recent remasters of the Roth years also, I have not heard them though.

danielbravo and Zoot Marimba like this.
  6. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I play the HDCDs of Women and Children First, Fair Warning, and 1984. They are the only CD versions I own, and I think they sound good. I prefer my Quiex LP of 1984 to the HDCD because I think it sounds a touch less tinny and has a bit more bass, but I like them all nonetheless. Many of the Warner remastered get a bit of flack, I have noticed, but there are worse remastering campaigns of artists than Van Halen.

Prophetzong and Dave Hoos like this.
  7. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I have all the 80s CDs up to 5150 and like the sound of them. I do have the 2001 remaster of the first album and it sounds OK as well. Plus I have used some vinyl.

8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I use the DCC for S/T, and the originals for the rest. I also have the targets for Diver Down and 1984. :)

9. henry babenko

I have all the SHM, mini lp relicas from japan, which I believe are the 2001 mastering.. I got rid of all my orginals years ago..

danielbravo likes this.
  10. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

I got into Van Halen just after the 2001 remasters were released. I had all six for about fourteen years before getting the originals cheap on eBay (including the Target versions). Comparing them back to back really reveals the harsh and compressed sound of the remasters. The originals sound much more natural, and although they don't have the response of the original vinyl (which I also own), they're crankable and sound better the louder you go. I've heard a copy of the DCC as well as the 24/192 HD Tracks and I just don't hear enough of an improvement to justify the cost. Go get the original CD or vinyl on eBay or other used retailer and enjoy six great albums!

11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I recommend the 80s CDs. You'll need to turn them up a little louder, but they sound very nice. I like these and the old vinyl. Both can be had pretty cheaply still IIRC.

Haven't heard the HDTracks.

Gus Tomato, Paul_T, g.z. and 3 others like this.
  12. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Well it's various vinyl pressings for me, but I love my HDCD remaster collection. Never understood why people crap on those, I think they sound awesome.

minkahed, dav-here and mikedifr0923 like this.
  13. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

I wish we could just stop with the talk about downloads. I still have yet,
    ( I know I'm in the extreme minority here) to download one single song. I believe the op is talking about physical format only. I could be wrong but, that's what I got from it.

sjaca, Dyland, dav-here and 9 others like this.
  14. Rollie

Rollie Forum Resident

Originals all the way!!!!!!!
    Inject & Crank

MYQ1, Clanceman, dav-here and 5 others like this.
  15. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

I've heard the I and II remasters and they're earwreckers.

16. jackinbox

jackinbox Forum Resident

Van Halen - "Unchained"

HDTracks (2015)
    [​IMG]

Remaster (2000)
    [​IMG]

17. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Those are the exact versions that I use! I think they all sound great except for the 2 albums on target being a little bass shy.

azideam likes this.
  18. henry babenko

wow, so its orginals I go. thanks..

MYQ1 and dav-here like this.
  19. henry babenko

great read here, about remasters

Sorry about the digression, but this is an important topic related to RUSH and the history of their releases on CD. While this thread isn't about the loudness war, it's worth noting the reasons why "remasters" were such a big deal in the mid-90's. A lot of folks may have forgotten this, but as the CD market expanded, the idea of including CD players as a standard upgrade in cars caught on with automotive manufacturers. It's also worth noting that that market peaked around 20 years ago.

Unfortunately, two-way vehicular sound systems of that era were notoriously weak in mid-range performance and listeners were constantly subjected to extraneous road noises that further impinged upon listening pleasure. So, while marketing "new" remasters worked hand in glove with expanding the car CD changer market for road listening, there was little effort made to improve home listening.

In theory, remastered music could compensate for road noise at lower volumes while providing more visceral impact in the two key areas where car stereos excell, bass and treble. Since most standard car speaker systems in the 90's emphasized treble and bass over mid-range, a compressed, louder CD would probably "seem" improved in that compromised environment.

That said, the compression, clipped peaks and fatiguing brick-walled harshness would've been discernible in a home setting via A/B comparisons of original & remastered CDs, ...if listeners hadn't already been convinced to relinquish their earlier pressings. I suspect many folks sold off their early CDs, rushing out to purchase remasters based on the hyperbolic promises of sound improvements.

Remasters today are geared more toward new technologies for sound delivery in home systems as car CD players are becoming an anachronism and home entertainment systems are the final frontier for disc formats. In any case, sound improvements are highly subjective and dependent upon a wide range of variables including source tapes, the skills and objectives of the remastering engineer and the flexibility/limitations of the chosen format.

Naturally, the final words on this are caveat emptor & always trust your ears.

20. henry babenko

got all but one. I just need WACF, its kinda hard at this point to track down a good copy since all of them are old and used.. at this point in time.

21. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

I have the originals and 2000 remasters and one hi res release. My faves among them:

S/T: Japan for US target original
    II: Japan for US original
    WACF: US original
    Fair Warning: US original
    Diver Down: 2015 hi res 24/192

deniall83 and dav-here like this.
  22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Good grief. It's 2017. Even if one is still inclined to physical media late in the 2nd decade of the 21st century, the ability to burn a CD from a digital file has been accessible to the masses for...15 yrs or more. If you're not downloading, you're missing some really good versions of many albums.

I have ALL versions of the DLR era VH (except the 2015 24/96 downloads). The 2015 24/192 downloads are the way to go - with the 2013 downloads and the original CDs in 2nd, but not a bad option.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  23. NightHider

NightHider Forum Resident

Originals, hands down for me....

John Grimes, MYQ1, dav-here and 5 others like this.
  24. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Hands down...compared to what?

NightHider likes this.
  25. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Fair Warning always sounded lousy and very bass shy prior to the 24/192 release; at which point it came into it's own...IMNVFHO ;)