Van Halen reissues 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Feb 6, 2015.

1. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

The made for iTunes version stats haven't been uploaded by users but this will show you the 192/24 versions in FLAC are WAY more dynamic than the 2000 HDCDs:

Album list - Dynamic Range Database ยป

2. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

I so understand this.

I think for fans of the Roth era, it so lacked that special Van Halen feel. I was the first Van Hagar tour and was shocked at what I saw. So disappointed. More then that, I was heartbroken.

The two songs of the Best of and the new album. More then I'd ever hoped for! :)

Still I've come to accept 5150 and OU812 as good albums by an entirely different band/lineup. Completely different and NOT equal but good. Sammy is a great vocalist with an ear for a nice ballad.

5150 has a place in my collection. FAR from my VH1 DCC/and vinyl of the unique and legendary work w/ David.

Between these albums, Montrose and his solo hits Sammy has earn my respect. Above statement not withstanding.

thxphotog, Murph, johnny q and 2 others like this.
  3. ricks

ricks Senior Member

I still prefer the DCC of the S/T but you can't go wrong with the full 2015 24/192 [must be th2 24/192 as mentioned by Jason] catalog. Easy and fast to obtain albeit a somewhat high price point.

Plenty of free and simple avenues to dither down the 24/192 to 16/44.1 . For those unwilling to learn new things or do anything resembling their own research as the expression goes sorry you are out of luck.

driverdrummer and JasonA like this.
  4. henry babenko

henry babenko Forum Resident

Hey guys got 1984 on vinyl today. the new one.. did anyone notice any drop outs during panama??

5. Fritz G23

Fritz G23 Forum Resident

Aren't the 24/192 versions at Pono the same as the HDTracks?

JasonA likes this.
  6. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

I dunno, I haven't heard the Pono version.

7. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Same...2015 Remaster

BGLeduc likes this.
  8. Stallings

Stallings Forum Resident

I just saw your post but, in case you're still wondering, Alex didn't use the model pictured. I have and it's not a rewarding experience. :) He used an SDS-V, an older model which did indeed have discreet outputs:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

artfromtex likes this.
  9. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Sorry to ask, I tried to find some answers over the course of this 46 page thread but haven't really seen anything. What exactly is the difference between the 2015 24/192 and the older 24/192 versions, both available on Hdtracks?

10. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Sure thing...The 2015 releases (buy 24/192 only!) are not "peak limited" or "digitally compressed" within an inch of their lives. The music has much more room to breathe, and, I would say, sounds close to what I would imagine the studio master tapes sounding like. Hope this helps your purchasing decision...

rburly and MrRom92 like this.
  11. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

[​IMG]

12. Beautiful. Just beautiful.

13. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Thanks a ton. I was able to obtain a couple of tracks from each version as a "preview" of sorts, but I did want to see what the general consensus was if anyone knew exactly what happened differently between the two versions.
    While I did think the older ones actually had some merits (seemingly fuller bass, but perhaps artificial?) and the compression didn't seem very severe, I do agree the newer ones were noticeably more dynamic, and seemed to be cleaner tape transfers too - less visible frequency noise from the playback electronics, and better high frequency extension of the actual recorded signal. I'm definitely in for 1984!

14. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

The older ones were mastered from the equalized masters so I think they were sourced from the LP masters not the actual first generation masters as the 2015 releases.

JediJoker likes this.
  15. EddieVanHalen

It seems as if the 2015 LP remastered by Chris Bellman are becoming escarce in Europe so I got today Van Halen II (for Van Halen S/T I stick with my Warner Bros. re-release mastered by Mr. Hoffman) even 'though I have the 192/24 downloads. I must say Mr. Bellman did an excellent job at mastering this album to LP, it sounds alive and very dinamic as if the band were in the room playing forme. I have an original 1979 US pressing (no bar code) of Van Halen II which I bought factory sealed around 10 years ago and a 1979 Japanese Warner-Pioneer pressing, both sound great but this new Chris Bellman remaster sounds even more, and differences are not subtle. It's worthy every penny. Ah, the quality of the pressing is outstanding,very very quiet, On the gaps between songs there is virtually no noise at normal tohigh listenning levels.

16. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Even though I have the 192/24 Hi Rez and the original vinyl I have thought about getting these vinyl reissues.

Has anyone bought vinyl from VHND before?

Clanceman likes this.
  17. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I have. I think you mean the VanHalenStore, but you're right, he's also the curator of VHND.

Jeff Hausman is a friend of mine, & the owner of the store. He's not personally into vinyl. But, if you just call the store direct, you can talk to him (occasionally) or one of his employees and instruct them on packing if you have any concerns.

Their customer service, speed, packing, tracking, etc., is flawless.

I've bought some rare picture discs, & a few other LPs over the last 10++ years. No problem at all.

PS. Get the EVH slip ons. :)

18. metalrules

metalrules Forum Resident

Grabbed a super cheap copy of the 2015 vinyl Women and Children First to compare with my 2009 vinyl just for kicks. I was expecting the same or better, but in fact, I don't like it as much. The 2015 may have a bit more detail in places, but overall it sounds sharp, bright and lacking "oomph". I listened to the 2015 straight through first, then directly compared a few songs. Every time I preferred the 2009 - warmer, richer, thicker, deeper, and most importantly more Rockin' (to use the technical term). I could be totally happy with the 2015 not having compared, but I think I will always choose to spin the 2009. Anyone else have opinions about the sound of the 2009s vs. the 2015s (vinyl)?

JasonA likes this.
  19. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Did you run the DR meter over that?;)

20. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Been awhile since I've A/B'd these. I have all originals, some x3 or 4, WLP's, original DCC gold disc & vinyl of debut, & every issue US/Japan CDs, & all the remasters....of every VH title (yes, & everything available from Hagar era as well lol)

Listen to VHII - the 2015 over the 09' on that one, imo. It's my favorite VH record. How would I describe the Bellman? Maybe tubey, analog...a meaty sound. But, it may be the 'sharp' that you don't like?

I'll have to compare WACF, but I know I felt that II was the best I've heard.

And of course, being Thanksgiving & all...I'm thankful for FW & DD.

21. deus62

deus62 Mega everything.

You're not in the military, are you?

;)

russk and Clanceman like this.
  22. metalrules

metalrules Forum Resident

Thanks for responding. The 2009/2010s and the 2015s are all Bellman, correct? I have the 2010 of VHII, which I do like a lot, but maybe I'll grab the newer one, especially if I come across another deal like I did for WACF. I wouldn't say I specifically dislike anything about the 2016 WACF, but maybe the sharper edge did push me toward the 2009 (realizing, of course, that this was the production style at that time in the 80s). I did also notice the vinyl was thicker and heavier on the 2009.
    Hear, hear!

Clanceman likes this.
  23. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I guess I was a bit confusing when I said Bellman. Bellman did the 09's & what ppl have been saying are 2016 - were actually 2015.

My understanding from someone connected to the VH Store & other info out there is that the 09' RTI's that were Bellman cut as well, were not cut from the 3/4 tape as were the 15's.

Let your ears be the judge, but the 15's....certainly VHII, sounds more analog to me. Not sure what the transfer/source was for the 09's. The debut was just duplication of the SH DCC...the final word.

metalrules likes this.
  24. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

There is an interview with Bellman in TONEAudio magazine #34 about the 2010s; Bellman mentions holding the "analog master" of 1984 and having to bake the others.

Clanceman likes this.
  25. EddieVanHalen

I think the same as you (Van Halen II is also my favourite Van Halen album). I have an original US 1979 LP (no barcode, hard paper insert sleeve), a 1979 Warner/Pioneer LP and the 2015 Chris Bellman remastered LP. All of them are good in their own way, but I prefer the 2015 Bellman remaster best. It sounds fuller, "ballsier" and more detailed at the same time. The same happens with the rest of the 2015 Bellman remastered LP's. Even having the Warner Bros. reissue from 2009 which uses the Steve Hoffman remastering, I have a hard time choosing one over the other and end up playing the Bellman LP all the time, only if it is because the Bellman LP is cheap and easy to get in case the LP gets damaged.

Jam757 and Clanceman like this.