Van Halen reissues 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Stay away from them and avoid them like the plague. Their compressed to death just like the 96/24 digital downloads. The only way to play these albums digitally with great sound are the 2015 192/24 digital downloads, they are worthy every cent, just like their 2015 Chris Bellman LP counterparts.

artfromtex, Queezma, JasonA and 2 others like this.
  2. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Couldn't agree more, the 2015 24/192's the only way to go.

John Bliss and marcb like this.
  3. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

Thanks for the opinions. I see the cd remasters for 5 bucks each, brand new, but my cash is not burning a hole in my pocket, so I'm going to pass then. The original CDs go for that used and I know what they sound like.

4. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

I agree with what others have said about this.....Bellman lp reissues are impeccable. For CD I am fine with the 2000 remasters (I know some don’t like them but they are generally favoured over the 2015 CD remasters).....and you already know about the OG pressings on CD (wish I wouldn’t have unloaded mine in ‘01)

John Bliss likes this.
  5. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Forum Resident

Not me. I MUCH prefer the 2015 CDs. The 2000s always sounded brittle and a little thin to me, whereas the 2015 CDs sound much more full and warm. I also like the EQ choices on the 2015s much more than the 2000s.

I know that many here have said they don’t like the 2015s due to their DR numbers (especially with the availability of the 192/24 hi res versions), but I don’t know that I’ve seen a general consensus that the 2000s are better than the 2015s.

Queezma likes this.
  6. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Maybe not, but the general consensus (although not unanimous) is the 2015’s bite.

Queezma likes this.
  7. John Bliss

Just bought Fair Warning and Diver Down, original US WB cds, $5 each US, including shipping on Amazon. Looking forward to getting them.

g.z. and Queezma like this.
  8. Panama Jack

But only because of the DR levels. I've rarely seen anyone lob any other complaint about them other than that. And guess what, the DR levels are fairly close to the 2000 CDs, but the 2015s have a much warmer and inviting sound to my ears.

My advice, listen for yourself and then decide. Don't let DR numbers and other people's ears dictate what sounds good to you.

9. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

I think I may have to give the 2015 CD remasters another shot....

10. John Bliss

Walmart in the states sells the reissues for 5 US dollars. I think Amazon might be about the same. Sometimes they have CDs as add on items under 5. I'm sticking with collecting the original US Warner for now but may take a chance on a few at some point. I did just purchase a mint shape, late 80s, Sony Discman off ebay, so I'm sure I'll be buying more CDs than I should soon.

Queezma likes this.
  11. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I found to Amazon Autorip MP3's to sound good although it is mastered too loud to an ear fatiguing level. It is really unfortunate as otherwise they are crisp, clean, and nice sounding. I own all of the original CD's so I'm going to have to record those and put them back on my Ipod. In this case the DR 7 numbers do equate to harshness on my ears. Another completely failed attempt at "remastering." The vinyl however are all impeccable and outstanding.

Queezma likes this.
  12. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

The original "Fair Warning" is fantastic. It is a bit more bass heavy than the 2015 192/24, but it is not an unnatural, bloated bass boost. It sounds really good. Crank that way the fook up!

The 192/24 of "Diver Down" is the greatest beneficiary of the 2015 transfers. The sonic improvement over all previous digital versions is amazing. The old 80's CD sounds pretty good, but you really need to hear the 192/24. The old "in the room" saying comes to mind.

Rekkerds and John Bliss like this.
  13. John Bliss

Thanks for the info! Definitely getting all the Hi Res 192 albums, to go along with the vinyl reissues and the original WB cds. I'll be set then as far as the original Dave years go.

artfromtex likes this.
  14. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

You will be pleased with those 192/24 files. I have enjoyed them immensely. There were my first foray into hi-rez.

SOONERFAN and John Bliss like this.
  15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Not only is it the general consensus that they bite, but it's also my opinion. And one thing I’m sure I’m not often accused of here is going along with the crowd just to go along with the crowd...

Maybe nobody has lobbed any other complaint about them because it’s a moot point?

artfromtex likes this.
  16. John Bliss

Warmer sound, sounds intriguing for the 1984 album, the old silver US CD could have used that anyways. Lotta top end, especially in the drums. No matter what I play it on seems like a treble boost. The 2015 vinyl reissue and even the old cassette don't have quite that much.

17. Panama Jack

Oh well then, that settles it. My own personal following of this thread makes my thoughts and impressions null and void. The great marcb has spoken.

Nobody dare buy the 2015 CDs! Nobody else dare enjoy them! You only need the 2000 CDs because that's what marcb has. It has been forever decreed and etched in stone and scripture that the 2015s "bite". No other opinions are needed. A consensus has been reached. marcb's view makes all other thoughts and opinions a "moot point"

Shees, whatever dude.

18. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

I have the 2015 CD remasters and I like them. They are better than those tinny sounding originals.

Doggiedogma and Panama Jack like this.
  19. Panama Jack

You're not allowed to like them. @marcb says there's a consensus that they bite. Not only that, but it's his opinion too. All other thoughts and opinions are moot. ;)

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    Dark Horse 77 and Channel Z like this.
  20. I think they sound fantastic, and I love and know those albums very well.

21. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

I trust and use my own ears. I could care less what he says.

Panama Jack likes this.
  22. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

Chris Bellman remastered these. He usually gets high praise here. Oh I forgot that pesky DR # again.

Panama Jack likes this.
  23. John Bliss

Im definitely open eared. I can never have enough DLR Van Halen, so I may try the 2015 cds at some point, especially at the price, can always have them for the car or give them to family. Going to get all the Hi Res 192 tomorrow though.

24. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

Try one they are not expensive. I think they sound similar to the original WB Vinyl.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    John Bliss likes this.
  25. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Well, after erasing the 2015 Autorip I burned the original 1984 CD and added to my IPOD. Cranked that sucker up this morning in the car and sounds incredible to me. Got to work and my ears didn't hurt. I've always been of the opinion that all of the original VH CD's sound quite nice. Obviously not matching the vinyl but fine for what they are. I wouldn't even mind if they added some slight compression to make them louder but it's got to be done carefully and to preserve as much dynamic range as possible. Hey, for all those that don't have sensitive ears and like them, that's great too. I'm actually going to keep the 2015 VH I and VH II on there for now. I'd love to hear the 192/24 but can't justify spending any more money on music given my vinyl addiction problem.

John Bliss and Queezma like this.