Van Halen reissues 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Feb 6, 2015.

1. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

I got my Fair Warning and Diver Down WB original US CDs in the mail today. Woo! Some nice bass for sure on Fair Warning. Burned them to the phone for the car (and for jogging). Got the 2015 Hi Res too now, all of the Dave era. Had all the DLR vinyl reissues already, so I'm set for awhile.

2. John Bliss

What's with the tom sound in 1984? It's more pronounced in some versions, but it's like it's on top of everything. It sticks out in any mix. Any time Alex hits them, like on House of Pain, 'Doonnn Doonnn Doonnn'! Maybe it's me.

joshm2286 and Queezma like this.
  3. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It’s not just my opinion (which in and of itself means no more or less than yours)....it’s the consensus view.

Do you disagree that the consensus here is the 2015 CDs are awful? Or do you just always throw a hissyfit whenever someone notes that your view is not the commonly held one?

And by the way, if you want to comment on sound quality, you could start by filling out your eqpt profile - as per forum rules - to provide a reference point for the community.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  4. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It’s your perogative to love the hell out of the 2015 CDs, but in no way do they sound similar to the original WB vinyl.

Jam757 likes this.
  5. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Just got original German versions of Diver Down and Women and Children, for comparison sake of course!! I've only spot tested but these sound pretty fantastic. You absolutely can't go wrong with the reissues though. One of my favorite reissue series in the last 5-6 years. I did notice the colors on the covers of the German originals are a bit more vibrant, better ink in the old days.

6. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

I think there very similar.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  7. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Yeah, I hear that too. Alex's entire drumset on 1984, except the snare, was Simmons electronic pads, due to necessity - they were recording in Eddie's new 5150 studio that wasn't even finished, and it was cramped. Donn Landee engineered it so I assume is responsible for all the drum sounds and mix.

John Bliss and Queezma like this.
  8. supernaut

supernaut Forum Resident

no - it's not just you! - in an interview from the Van Halen News Desk it turns out Don Landee was not always satisfied with everything the band committed tape - “For instance, I didn’t like it when Alex began using electronic drums around the time of the 1984 album,” admits Landee. “He started with the kick, and later added toms. And there was no talking him out of it. In fact one of the things I still don’t like about ‘Jump’ is the sound of the kick: It’s very intermittent, the threshold just wasn’t set right, it always bugged me. I just could never get used to that sound, ever. I have to hear acoustic drums - and nothing else!”

9. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

God damn 80's and electronic drum kits! LOL I still love 1984 and think it sounds fantastic and perfect, just as is. Spinning it again multiple times recently made me realize how much I love it. I consider every single VH album released with Roth to be a five star masterpiece.

10. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

I think the toms were overdubbed in some cases. Alex didn't have room to set up his entire kit.

supernaut likes this.
  11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Other than tonally and dynamically, yes they are similar.

joshm2286 likes this.
  12. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Forum Resident

No, I don't agree that it's a consensus at all. But whatever. Agree to disagree.

13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Go back and read through this and other threads on the topic. If you don’t think the solid majority don’t care for them, you’re simply in denial.

It doesn’t mean you can’t love them.

Queezma likes this.
  14. John Bliss

The reissue series is a blast! I'm loving them. I'm hoping to see Rhino reissue the Sammy albums and even the one with Gary. Not holding my breath though.

Queezma and joshm2286 like this.
  15. John Bliss

Oh yeah, I wouldn't change a thing either. It's fine the way it is, what we are used to. Fantastic. The 2015 Hi Res and even the vinyl definitely have detail though, to where things jump out. I noticed some bass licks I didn't before as well.

Jam757, Queezma and joshm2286 like this.
  16. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

In SERIOUS need to reissue at least 5150 and ou812. They should reissue For Unlawful on Double vinyl as the original euro pressing sounds thin imo. I have an original U.S. pressing of Balance and it sounds amazing. I don’t care about 3. I am a HUGE Gary/Extreme fan but that album didn’t click with me....even if it wasn’t under the VH moniker I still think it’s underwhelming.

bodicus and John Bliss like this.
  17. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

Slightly off topic - the 2000 Remasters. I always thought they were awful...until I heard the HDCD decoded version on the Oppo I recently bought. Holy moly! Night and day doesn`t even begin to describe my amazement at the difference in SQ. The Oppo decoding HDCD trounces the Wadia playing back just the CD. No need for an upgrade for me as I think the 2000`s sound amazing now - but only when decoded obviously.

Queezma likes this.
  18. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Was always (and still am) curious as how they would sound decoded.

19. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

If, according to Sammy Hagar, those Van Hagar albums sold so well, "five-six million every time", then why don't they get the remastering treatment ?

Surely, there has to be some profit ?

20. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

No difference. These HDCD's have no peak extension.

marcb, JasonA and BGLeduc like this.
  21. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

It`s night and day to my ears. As always, ymmv but, for me it was a revelation - and the Wadia is no slouch!

22. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

How do the original CDs compare to the downloads?

23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Which downloads? There are 3 different sets.

24. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I guess the best one.

25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

IMO, in broad strokes, the original CDs are bested (by not by a huge margin) by the 2015 24/192 downloads. The original CDs are more similar to the 2013 downloads - which are still quite good as well.

The 2015 24/96 downloads and CDs are several steps down from the original CDs and are to be avoided.

If you do a search, you’ll find lots of other opinions and more detail than you could want.

Spirit Crusher, jhm and Holy Diver like this.