Van Morrison - Moondance 5 Disc Deluxe Edition (Remastered)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Doctorwu, Jul 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elborak

elborak Forum Resident

What you been smokin', bro? :D

That'll be the day.

2. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Can't believe that Elliot Scheiner's surround mix is finally going to be released. This was supoosed to be one of the first DVD-Audio discs IIRC.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yeah, and one of his best.

vonwegen likes this.
  4. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

OK, I'm officially excited.

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  5. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I think this post just cost a lot of Forum Members $75... ;)

supermd, vonwegen, Chris R and 2 others like this.
  6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Well, this is the same guy to alert me to 3+3, & Ship Ahoy. 2 SACDs I ignorantly blew off previously.

7. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

It will be my first purchase of the album.

8. r7splash

r7splash Forum Resident

It looks like all the tracks from the second disc of the Expanded Edition are present on the Deluxe Edition, assuming that “Crazy Love” (Mono Mix) is the same as “Crazy Love” (Remix).

I don't have a surround system at the moment... have to decide whether to 'invest in the future' with the Deluxe Edition (esp. given Steve's comment) or stick with the Expanded Edition. Will definitely be interested to see if the mastering of the main disc is the same as in the 2008 Japanese discs.

hutlock likes this.
  9. I'll get it for the 5.1

Bill likes this.
  10. hutlock

And he's also heard that Surround mix... which I'm sure none of the rest of us have!

11. hutlock

This is the boat I am in. No surround but I might go that way soon-ish, and I have the 2008 Japanese remasters already. Sittin' on a fence, I guess.

12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Remember Todd, not only will your music " open up " in 5.1, your films take on a whole new life. :agree:

hutlock likes this.
  13. hutlock

Oh I hear you, Mike!

Its more a matter of not having a good room in my current house to set it up in properly. We're going to be house hunting sometime next spring, and HOPEFULLY I will be able to set up a system there.

Myke likes this.
  14. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

70 bucks for the DE is fine by me. And yeah, the same tracks back to back would not be my idea but that's where playlists and making your own discs come in. Assuming some of the alternate takes are great there's probably a lot of really interesting differences/versions on there that would make for some great mixes, etc.

15. r7splash

r7splash Forum Resident

Yeah, hopefully folks will share and compare ideas in this thread post-release :)

16. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

I suspect that is by design....

r7splash likes this.
  17. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Bluray, Yeah!
    On a more serious note, wonder if Dr. Johnny Fever's got his preorder in yet?

18. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

+ 1

I don't like this trend of exclusively bundling the surround mix with the super expensive deluxe edition.

19. peterzac

peterzac Forum Resident

I am not a fan of this either. If price stays over $50 thats to rich for me for one album as I am only interested in the 5.1.
    The novelty of listening to 50 different takes of same songs would wear off quickly so then it leaves the 5.1 as the main reason to buy this.

20. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

WOW! That's great news to wake up to. I know what I'm getting my father-in-law (who was a school mate of Van's) for Xmas!

21. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Put me down for the 2CD edition

22. JuhaS

JuhaS Forum Resident

I wonder how many of those alternate takes are complete... There are some demos from that era circulating and they might have brought some variety to the set. Or how about a live show (or two).

23. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

For music this good I am happy to have all the discs, warts and all. It's better to have it than not, and make our own minds up about the different versions. I don't think it works for every album but for one of the best albums ever made its a huge treat.

24. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

It seems to me, and I could be wrong, that I've read that there were many unreleased outtakes from the Moondance sessions. While a few were included on The Philosopher's Stone, if my memory is correct, many more remain in the vault. I'm surprised that the bonus material on the track list here does not include more previously unreleased songs (as opposed to different takes of songs that ended up on the finished album).

Perhaps this bodes well for a second volume of TPS down the road? Still, I'd have liked to see more unheard songs included here.

25. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Yes, if this is the same mix done a few years ago for DVD-A and not recently re-done it is not full of gimmicks very nice sounding in surround as well as the stereo mix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.