Van Morrison - Moondance 5 Disc Deluxe Edition (Remastered)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Doctorwu, Jul 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

My local Wal Mart has a ton of the single disc 2013 version of Moondance for $6.00. They do come in a jewel case and as Steel Woole has pointed out, the tray is clear and the words 2013 Remaster can be seen in the left hand gutter.

driverdrummer and dead of night like this.
  2. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I'm thinking of getting the 2-CD version. Is there anything really essential that's not on it?

3. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

Yes, the bluray disc with glorious HiRez stereo and 5.1-mixes :D

4. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

I can only say the deluxe version is worth it and the 5.1 mix just makes it a no-brainer. The quality is top-notch and the content is definitely not for just one spin, at least on my part, the takes are not boring at all. You don't have to be a completist to enjoy this thoroughly.

On the other hand, anyone witnessed duplicate pages in the booklet of the deluxe version? Mine has one and wonder how rare this mistake could be...

Simon A likes this.
  5. Scottm89

Scottm89 New Member

Can you play the Blu-Ray version without a monitor?

I recently started using the Oppo BDP-103 in my music only system, but I am hesitant to purchase music only Blu-Rays when they do not explicitly state that they can be played without a monitor (like the pure audio blu-ray discs).

6. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

Indeed you can.
    The disc will play in 5.1 when you close the drawer. To switch to stereo, press the "Audio" button on your remote.

dee likes this.
  7. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Indeed, the different takes are fascinating to hear. Van usually changes his phrasing quite drastically with each take. I've found the Deluxe set an enjoyable listen all around.

dee and rstamberg like this.
  8. therockman

Last night was the first time that I listened to the stereo version of this album on the Blu Ray. I was very disappointed. How come it is presented in Dolby instead of just plain LPCM? Notwithstanding this production choice, the whole thing seemed dull and lifeless to me and my wife. By the time we got to Caravan, we were definitely not liking this new high rez stereo version. So we used the song Caravan to test the sound between this new Blu Ray and the old stock standard CD. It seemed to both of us that the old CD sounded richer and more dynamic, and was a much more engaging listen than the new Blu Ray. Don't get me wrong, I still love the 5.1 on the new Blu Ray, but I just don't get the love that this high rez stereo remaster has been getting. Please tell me what I am missing.

9. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Rock,

There should be some 2.0 192/24 lpcm on there...

10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The Blu-ray is not part of the Expanded 2 CD set. You need to buy the Deluxe 5 disc set to get the Blu-ray.

Bill

jmrife likes this.
  11. therockman

Really? On my Oppo I could not find anything like that. There is just two choices, DTS HD Master Audio 5.1 and Dolby True HD 2.0; there are no other choices. I know that Dolby True HD is a lossless CODEC, but I can not find anything else.

12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Rock,

I meant to play the Blu-ray today to check out the audio options but I ran out of time. Looking at the Moondance listing on Elusive Disc it shows high-resolution 48K 24 bit PCM stereo as an audio option for the Blu-ray. I'll try to give it a spin tomorrow.

Bill

13. therockman

Thanks Bill. Please check yours when you get a chance.

14. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

If my memory is right it is not DTS HD Master on the 5.1, rather Dolby True HD there as well. The disc certainly default to the 5.1 Dolby True HD.

Personally I don't mind if it is lossless PCM, DTS or Dolby - run through the same equipment I can not tell the difference.

15. therockman

My disc defaults to DTS HD Master Audio 5.1, with the ability to choose Dolby True HD 2.0 with my audio option button. I felt that the high rez stereo layer, the Dolby soundtrack, was dark and veiled and was definitely not a pleasant listen.

16. therockman

I just checked my Blu Ray disc in another machine and I still find that there are only two different audio soundtracks; a DTS 5.1 and a Dolby 2.0. Although I logically believe that all of these discs have the same audio options, maybe there is something wrong with my disc.

17. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Rock,

I just checked mine and it's Dolby TrueHD 2.0 at 192k and Dolby TrueHD 5.1 at 96k.

Sorry for the misinformation earlier...

No DTS tracks on my disc.

18. therockman

And everybody likes the sound of the Dolby TrueHD 2.0 track? That is weird because I absolutely thought that the stereo track on the Blu Ray sounded muffled and constrained.

19. I found it smooth as silk and open. This might be a setting issue with your receiver/player combo.

20. therockman

Unfortunately, by reading the info that I can find, there is no such audio track on the Blu Ray. You want stereo, it is just Dolby 2.0. It sucks. But the CD from the new box does sound nice.

21. therockman

I have really had no issues with my player set-up before, I really just thing that I am not comfortable with this particular remaster. It is just as well because I like the CD and I like the 5.1 mix, and the other material is fun. But the Dolby stereo soundtrack just seems veiled and constrained, and it just seems like some of the upper mid-range and treble is lacking.

22. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

For what it's worth therockman, the cd in the new Moondance set is simply a 16 bit down-conversion of the BluRay stereo.

23. therockman

Yeah, that's what I figured.

24. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Well, it's not "just Dolby 2.0." It's DolbyTrueHD 2.0. Which is lossless hi-res at 192/24. I don't believe a LPCM version would sound that much different.

dee likes this.
  25. therockman

I know that you are right, but I am just not enjoying the "high rez" 2.0 soundtrack on the Blu Ray.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.