Van Morrison - Moondance 5 Disc Deluxe Edition (Remastered)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Doctorwu, Jul 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTS-MA 7.1

DTS-MA 7.1 Forum Resident

Like your Master avatar.

2. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Thanks

3. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Playing the MOONDANCE Blu-ray Audio Disc for the first time in a while. Man, it's nice.

Simon A, mdm08033 and Centurion like this.
  4. Say

Say Forum Resident

The Moondance cd from 1990 is not too shabby and the hirez download (24/96) from the new remaster(?) sounds about the same. I wonder what you guys are expecting from the Blu-Ray.

5. Got the 5 disc set a bit ago and finally threw the Blu into the Oppo - didn't pay any attention to which track it defaulted to. Listened fairly casually until Into the Mystic, then I paid close attention (a favorite piece)

What a weird mix....I'm going to go back through everything eventually and see what the other Blu ray track is like, and then the remastered CD.

I will say that my first listen was a disappointment. Hopefully it gets better.

6. dee

dee Senior Member

What a nifty and nimble acoustic guitar solo by John Platania on And It Stoned Me. I like Gary Mallaber on the title song, Caravan, and Glad Tidings. Bassist John Klingberg on Crazy Love and Into the Mystic sounds and plays so nicely. The songs are so good and Van's vocals so memorable, sometimes I forget the musicians who provide the musical accompaniment. The sonics of the surround mix option, folded down into stereo, sound so smooth and natural, and spacious, I prefer it to the remastered original mix stereo option. Hope that His Band is up next...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    PhantomStranger likes this.
  7. dee

dee Senior Member

Rock,

Fwiw, when I switch back and forth, In my stereo setup, between the 5.1 and 2.0, I find the 5.1 downmix sounds clear and pleasant. The 2.0 sounded to me, more similar to what you describe.

Jeff Labes on the organ on These Dreams of You is a delight to listen to.

8. bodhisattva

bodhisattva Senior Member

Usually when you hear people rave about Elliott Scheiner's 5.1 mixes, it's about the discrete instrument placement, but I think his EQ choices and the overall tonality of his mixes are second to none. I remember listening to the Gaucho SACD and switching between the stereo and 5.1 programs, and being struck at how pinched and nasal the stereo mix sounded compared to the 5.1. That's really saying something too, given how well engineered the original Steely Dan records were.

Larry Geller and dee like this.
  9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Bumping this quote. I listened to clips from this set online, and "Take 17" seemed to be the familiar mix (with the tambourine down) and take of "Into the Mystic", though without hearing the whole song I can't tell for sure, at least take wise. Could someone possibly confirm if this matches the version heard on most versions of the album?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  10. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Sure wish they issued this in DVD format. As a BR-free household I'm really jonesing to hear the 5.1 mix.

11. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

It's your money but in case you don't know a BluRay player costs less then the VM boxset.

smoke, 007james, bonus and 1 other person like this.
  12. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Not if you also have to buy an amp and speakers

13. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Then what advantage would he have getting it in the DVD format?

positively4th likes this.
  14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Isn't that the mastering as much as, if not more than, the mixing?

15. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

You still don't have a Blu-ray player? What's your excuse...

16. pdenny

I have no HDMI-ready receivers or amps. I already have over 200 SACD/DVD-A titles I can play. So far only three BR only surround titles have been issued that I really would like to hear (QUADROPHENIA, MOONDANCE, MARLEY LEGEND). I know I could probably scrounge up a used player with analog outs but gee whiz...

17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

How about a universal player with a 7.1 analog output? I'm assuming you are using the 7.1 analog ouput to play multichannel SACDs/DVD-As.

Bill

18. pdenny

Sure, but it all comes down to scratch of course. How much should I tell my wife we'll need? :laugh:

19. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Enough that Lucidae won't have to ask for your excuses.

20. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Just picked up this set earlier this week. Love, love, love the out-takes, and this not even close to being my favourite Van Morrison album.

What I would give for them to give Saint Dominic's Preview this kinda treatment...

bonus and Sneaky Pete like this.
  21. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Any recommendations for sleeves that would protect the discs and still fit within the set's pockets?

22. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

Any recommendations for sleeves that would protect the discs and still fit within the set's pockets?

Nope...

23. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

I have taken them out and put them in empty jewel cases. So it's like a bootleg collection of Moondance stuff with having an additional book with them. ;)

Sometimes the simplest solutions working the best, both visually and in case of usage.

24. minniesmalls

minniesmalls Member

"Any recommendations for sleeves that would protect the discs and still fit within the set's pockets?"

I think these would probably work:

Nagaoka Anti-Static Inner CD Sleeves (20-Sheet Set)

I plan on ordering them myself next time I get some CDs from CD Japan.

Ragu and MMM like this.
  25. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

When I was married for the second time I didn't run it by the wife which is probably why I don't have a second wife anymore. Your wife is very cool or you're very persuasive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.