Van Morrison - Moondance 5 Disc Deluxe Edition (Remastered)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Doctorwu, Jul 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

You didn't run it by your wife that you were getting married for a second time? ;)

mtruslow likes this.
  2. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Or? ;)

3. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

Never let them run it, just make them feel to be.

4. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

Well, then she's cool AND you're persuasive......you're a lucky man, friend.

5. I finally purchased the 4 CD/1 Blu-ray Deluxe Edition. I'm loving it, but I have a few questions that I couldn't find answered in the booklet.

A) What are the take numbers for all of the master takes on the released album (Disc One)?

B) Were there any additional overdubs for the tracks on the released album, or are all of those released tracks basically live-in-the-studio?

I have a couple of questions specifically about the second half of Disc 4:

C) In what sense are the following two tracks alternate versions? (Alternate takes, alternate overdubs, alternate mixes?) The booklet calls them "Master Mix Reel Alternates" so it sounds like they received final mixes in the 1969/1970 period, were considered for the album, but didn't quite make the cut. If so, what takes are they?
    8. “Glad Tidings” (Alternate Version)
    9. “These Dreams Of You” (Alternate Version)​

D) These are labeled as "Mono Mixes from A&R Recording Studios December 17, 1969" but did they only mix part of the album for mono? If so, why? They were not previously released, correct? Or were they released as singles and/or B-sides?
    10. “Crazy Love” (Mix)
    11. “Glad Tidings” (Remix 1)
    12. “Glad Tidings” (Remix 2)
    13. “Glad Tidings” (Remix 3)
    14. “Caravan” (Remix 1)
    15. “These Dreams Of You” (Remix)
    16. “I Shall Sing” (Mix)​

Forgive me if these details were already discussed. I have not followed this whole thread. Thanks!

IronWaffle, Buda and Mal like this.
  6. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

I could have sworn that this information is included in the 2 disc expanded edition -- I remember it being interesting that the master take of "Moondance" was take 21 but they did at least 22 takes, and I believe there were 12 takes of "Into the Mystic" of which the master was the last one...In fact (and I may be mistaken) that the album masters were all the final recorded take except for "Moondance."

Alternate takes without backing vocals and horns for tracks like "Into the Mystic" and "Brand New Day" would suggest that those additions to the master takes are overdubs. And of course the original master of "Into the Mystic" includes an overdubbed tambourine, removed from later pressings (such as the original CD).

I have to assume that these mono mixes were intended either for pre-album singles ("Come Running" I believe was what was eventually chosen) or for take-home reference tapes for Van and/or the producer.

7. Turmatic

Turmatic Forum Resident

You guys talked me into the 5 disc set. I hate this place! :love: Can't seem to put the debit card away;):D

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Funny this thread should come up again. I just decided to play discs 3 and 4 for the first time yesterday (the set has not seen much action) and noted that the dopey, shoddy and frankly ridiculous packaging has already come apart of its own accord.

9. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Are there plans to release the 5.1 mix in a cost reduced format?

10. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

I guess the only way to keep the packaging intact, simply not use it. Avoid reading the booklet if possible and keep the discs separated. They will be thankful for that because of the otherwise rather tight cases which just leave them with scratches upon taking them in/out anyway. Visually stunning design but with terrible results in practice. Have to add though, the music is top notch for me all the way through.

11. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

I bought the Deluxe version from HDTracks. But the booklet is just a one page PDF.
    Is there some source somewhere where we can get at least the complete credits?

12. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

The bonus material on the HDTracks set is also 16/44.1, I believe.

13. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Discogs.com is only as good as the contributions, but here are some credits for the US deluxe edition, below the track listings:
    http://www.discogs.com/Van-Morrison-Moondance/release/5061398

Craig.

14. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The "Caravan" takes on disc two are with a full band, but the "redo" at the end of disc three (where it sounds like they would record the basic track of the album version later in the session) is only vocal, acoustic guitar, bass and drums, so I guess the rest were overdubbed, unless they joined in later in the session or were mixed out of the version on CD.

dee likes this.
  16. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Just bought Moondance from PONO and listened to it. It's source is the 2013 remaster

My CD version always sounded good, such a great recording and performance, but the remaster is just incredible through the PONO with decent headphones

JeffMo likes this.
  17. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

A question for the Van experts: Obviously he must have recorded "And It Stoned Me" at different sessions going by how there are no alternate takes included on this set. Am I correct in this (if so, when did he record it), or is there some other story why there are no alternate versions?

18. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

There were no session tapes on hand for "And It Stoned Me."
    Ditto "Crazy Love."

dino77, dee and MMM like this.
  19. dee

dee Senior Member

Since your post has been answered already, just a few thoughts/opinions/speculations...

I enjoy Track 9) "These Dreams of You" (alternate version in stereo) in that it seems to me to have a very 'lively' sound to it and with the vibe and full band I imagine it is something closer to the sound of being even more at home on Street Band and Choir. It seems like to me it is on the looser side and doesn't seem like it would be a good choice for a final mix for release, as it sounds here, imo, but it's very fun and playful and has a lot of energy.

The Track 8) "Glad Tidings" (alternate version and in stereo) that is included on disc 4 I didn't nearly like as much as either the Glad Tidings "fast version" (which is the style of the released version, but iirc doesn't include horns) or the truly alternate acoustic versions, all found on disc 3. The Track 8 alternate version sounds to me like the vocal is out front too much and the timing or pitch also sounds awkward, to my ears.

I like the Crazy Love mono mix in that the sound of it reminded me of the stereo mix. I look forward to actually listening to both of them though to actually compare them for the fun of it. I thought the backing 'gospel choir' vocals maybe were mixed down a little more in the mono mix, but that thought is based solely on memory.

Been a lot of fun listening to this set since it was released. A little bit of work too though lol.

BeatlesBop likes this.
  20. dee

dee Senior Member

To follow up a little...

Crazy Love backing vocals sound no more present to me in the stereo mix than in the mono mix. They might even seem up moreso in the mono. The only thing I don't like in the mono mix is in the bridge there is added percussion that sounds silly, distracting to me.

These Dreams of You (alt version) is a really fun listen. :) It's a party! What's on the album sounds a bit more subdued and professional ;) to me, more controlled. The alt version is a good one to hear.

With another listen to Glad Tidings alt version disc 4 the arrangement and tempo is a lot of fun. The vocal is very free and a bit all over the place in terms of everything ;) and sounds mixed forward. Sounds to me like Van is trying different approaches singing this version of the song. It is very spirited though and Van is in good voice as usual. Funny, I started thinking of R.E.M. when listening to this particular version. A litte Glad Tidings for Shiny Happpy People ;) :).

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  21. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I still love this set.

dino77 and dee like this.
  22. dee

dee Senior Member

Me too, I just want my work to end though LOL. I have most of my favorite takes down and have had them that way for awhile now BUT there are still stray tracks like some of the mono mixes and a few others that I didn't pay enough attention to. Plus going back and forth between what the song on the album is like and what it sounds like compared to the bonus takes is also interesting Geez, if I had a surround set up this would be twice the work too but twice the fun :). Like the sound of the blu ray downmix to stereo though. Maybe will give that a listen too. Cheers.

rstamberg likes this.
  23. dee

dee Senior Member

Thanks for pointing this one out! Caravan is spread over all three bonus discs and can be a challenge to get through and identify all of them and it is basically the last track I have gotten to pay attention to before finishing my playlist. This is more like the other pared down alternate takes and I find it fascinating. Thanks for pointing out the Caravan redo take 3. My listening for my preferences of tracks is now basically done and this track is a rewarding one for me to end it on. To hear the acoustic guitar so prominently on the right is a joy. Makes for a little gem this bass, drums, vocal, and guitar only version. Thanks for speaking to this in your post.

24. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

dee, JohnB and Mal like this.
  25. Eric B.

Eric B. Active Member

Huge fan of the HiRes stereo 24/192 and 5.1 24/96. Spent more than I wanted to own the set, and for that, I blame YOU forum members, since I was perfectly happy with my WB non-tambourine version, until I came HERE!
    :shrug:

dee and supermd like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.