Van Morrison - Moondance 5 Disc Deluxe Edition (Remastered)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Doctorwu, Jul 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weaselriot

weaselriot Forum Resident

Just buy a pack of high density poly sleeves (frosted with the rounded bottoms, like the larger LP "rice paper" sleeves we are so accustomed to) of the kind the Japanese use for LP sleeve CDs (but which American companies are too damn cheap to use here). They protrude just enough to give you something to grab for sliding it out, without scratching the disc inside. Of course there is that first time for removal to add the sleeve before any damage is done. I've found that flexing the pocket to draw the cardboard away from the disc surface while carefully sliding it out by an edge works just fine. Once the HD poly sleeve is on it, your worries are over. I have never once had a problem. Ever. A pack of 100 for about 10 bucks with shipping.

Buda likes this.
  2. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads-up! Thought about it since then but now I will definitely get some. Have to, as there are already a dozen of this kind of boxes around. Luckily the new Van box (..Too late to stop now Vol.I-IV) has a different packaging style.

weaselriot likes this.
  3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Listening to the Moondance Blu-ray in 5.1 DTS-HD and it sounds excellent :)! I forgot how great the Elliot Scheiner 5.1 mix is and what an excellent album this is. Need to play it more often!

dee, SKean, Ed Hughes and 5 others like this.
  4. Larry DeMellier

Larry DeMellier Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Interesting recent find: the original 1970 Warner Bros. promo poster for MOONDANCE (very large - 24" x 36"). Photos will never do this piece justice, as it's printed with a silver-y, translucent ink everywhere but the moon in his eye and the text/snipe at bottom, allowing those details to pop against a reflective portrait that changes from each angle and light source. This was discovered, with a few other pieces, in the estate of a former record distributor, and I suspect that its print run was miniscule (perhaps limited and given to distribution offices only and not record retailers; this was two-and-a-half years before WEA existed), as it's the only one I've ever seen and not known to any other VM collectors with whom I've chatted. There is a more common promo poster for HIS BAND AND THE STREET CHOIR (basically a 20" x 30" detail of the album cover with "On Warner Bros.") and one for VEEDON FLEECE, which I also have. Have heard one was printed for SAINT DOMINIC'S PREVIEW but have never seen that one.

phillyal1, jpmosu, Rupe33 and 13 others like this.
  5. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

Amazing design indeed. Thanks for posting this piece.

Larry DeMellier likes this.
  6. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I'm still surprised they included a BD with this release because it doesn't seem like there's enough data to justify it. Couldn't this all have fit on a single DVD? (Or at least a dual-layer DVD?)

7. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

It was originally scheduled to be a stand alone DVD-A back in 2004 or so.
    in 2013 DVD-A's were not a flavor WMG was offering, so BD Audio was chosen.
    DVD-V would have compromised the audio.

dee, JonUrban, MikeT and 6 others like this.
  8. abt4u

abt4u Forum Resident

9. dee

dee Senior Member

abt4u likes this.
  10. Curious that it states it is his "return' to Warner since the albums before that were also on Warner were they not? (Or maybe e was on Reprisebefore--my memory is kind of foggy on this).

11. Larry DeMellier

Larry DeMellier Forum Resident

It's just a reference to the fact that it's Van's follow-up to his Warners debut, ASTRAL WEEKS.

dee likes this.
  12. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Not willing to go thru 25 pages. Concensus on sound quality of 4 cds?

13. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

Go back to pages 27/28. This edition was released in Oct 2013 and that's just about the time we begin to comment on the SQ.

As per my opinion, the sound quality is exceptional. Not bright (to my ears), blackest of blacks, freshly taken from the multitracks.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  14. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Best sounding cd version?

15. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I certainly think so.

Lewisboogie and SKean like this.
  16. There's no better way to hear Moondance than the included Blu-ray.

17. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Anyone compare to the hdtracks 192/24

18. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Were there really no more alternate takes done of the title track other than the one where he sings just the first few lines, or do the tapes just not survive?

19. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

I will second all of the positive comments regarding sound quality. I never had a real problem with the original cd pressing, but this set takes it to another level. It really is worth the $36 if you have a 5.1 setup. As mentioned, the surround mix is one of the best I've experienced and I have over 75 in my collection.

PhantomStranger and mdm08033 like this.
  20. Steel Woole

Hard to say what was done, but that lone alternative take is all that was in the vault.

dee and MMM like this.
  21. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

Unfortunately it's now $65 at Amazon. If I could get it for $36 I probably would but can't justify $65.

22. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

Maybe you can find one used with some patience. I can't even imagine why someone would sell this great set, but I have seen a few here and there.

23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Bill likes this.
  24. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I played the blu -ray disc from the 5 disc set. Dreadful menu but I finally got the stereo mix playing (I do not have 5.1). Sounded wonderful as I guess the album always does. I do have the high resolution flac download (there are a handful of officially released Van albums in hi res Into The Music and Common One being two). I assume the Moondance high resolution will be based on the Moondance remaster that included the blu-ray.

dee likes this.
  25. Steel Woole

I believe you are correct.

Flaming Torch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.