Van Morrison - Moondance 5 Disc Deluxe Edition (Remastered)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Doctorwu, Jul 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

I would advise anyone who likes this album to grab Steve and Kevin's cut - it's a work of beauty! An amazing sounding LP, one of my top 5 LPs I own.

2. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I like the price but is this really necessary? How much mumbling of Van Morrison can one person take?

I guess I'm going to find out.

3. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

So, to get hi-rez, I have to buy a 4 disc set in addition to the original American CD release
    and my Japanese copy? How 'bout a hybrid SACD that'll give me reamstered layers in
    redbook CD, stereo & 5.1 all on one disc...?

I'm so pissed off about this trend I think I'll pass on this one and put the saved $$$ into a
    D/A converter that'll make all of my CDs sound great, one high def data bit at a time... I
    remember back in '91 or '92 when Mark Levenson put out the first 2 piece transport & DAC,
    with an esteemed reviewer in either Stereophile or The Absolute Sound, stating "Phillips &
    Sony, with their choice of giving us 16 bits of information for compact disc, might have been
    all the more accurate in just how much bit rate you really need for the red book standard,
    for, the people at Mark Levenson LTD created a digital front end that extracts every bit of
    info from the optical disc we've been lambasting since it's launch just a few years ago ('82-
    '83). There's so much music that we've been missing until now with their new world class
    transport & D/A converter..."

4. Further

Further Forum Resident

Any idea where I could still grab a copy of this online?

5. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

It was both, but never signed off. It sounds Great and hopefully it will be the same mastering / mix that will be released in this upcoming set. In fact I just played it for a few friends a couple weeks ago.

6. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Further likes this.
  7. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

What was the sampling rate?

8. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Seriously, unfortunately I doubt Warner Bros. would use Steve's digital master on the Blu-ray or CD but there is always hope.

9. dee

dee Senior Member

Looking forward to the opening bonus track of What Do We Call This, Van? I wonder what Van's reply will be! Listening to the original album right now to get in the mood for the three bonus discs and the blu ray stereo track.

There are six or seven takes shown as remixes at the end of disc four, but all the other additional takes are vintage rough mixes? Mixes more thoroughly worked on at the time for potential album release ? Newly remixed from the multi-tracks for this release?

10. I love this album and have the Japanese remaster on CD. If they sold the Blu by itself, I would consider it but I honestly don't know that I could listen to five versions of one track.

Good idea but a bit late I'm afraid for me. I probably would have jumped on this five years ago. Honestly, the finished album is, for the most part, what matters to me now.

If there were unreleased songs in the mix, that would be a different story.

I'd rather Van spent his time getting his out of print stuff back in print.

11. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thanks. So even though it was never released, it "got out"?

12. KeithH

Yeah, they have Steve's outstanding mastering in digital form but aren't using it for the box set. Granted, I haven't the version they are using for the box set, but I wonder if anyone at Warner considered using Steve's mastering.

13. r7splash

r7splash Forum Resident

I don't understand why they wouldn't... if it's right there, and ready to use :confused:

14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

There's the problem. Someone with NO sources makes a statement like it's definitive, and everyone jumps on board.

WHERE has it been FACTUALLY determined which mastering is being used ?

weaselriot likes this.
  15. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

For me the cut is Moondance,the bass is all over my speakers! John Klingberg...wow.

16. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

i would't buy a 5 disc set of Born to sing either!
    :yikes:

17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I can't believe WB is that stupid. The rights to the albums in perpetuity are worth more than the chance for a one time blip in revenues from any deluxe issues.

18. Razor Boy

Razor Boy Forum Resident

Seems Van is far from happy with this - from his website :
    " Yesterday Warner Brothers stated that "Van Morrison was reissuing Moondance". It' is important that people realise that this is factually incorrect. I did not endorse this, it is unauthorised and it has happened behind my back
    My management company at that time gave this music away 42 years ago and now I feel as though it"s being stolen from me again
    18th July 2013"
    :oops:

19. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Sounds like it's gonna be fun from here on out (not). Bad blood. Not pretty.

21. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

I take it that when Van recorded the album he was rather hoping that people might want to buy it?

Surely it is a tad easier for people to buy it if the record company issues or reissues it?

Surely it brings him some revenue? What sense is there in his seeming desire to veto it?

Pardon me for struggling to understand.

The prospect of that 5.1 mix has tempted me into wanting to buy it for the first time.

22. KeithH

It sounds like if it were up to Mr. Morrison, we'd get squat. I understand his frustration that this was done behind his back, but I get the impression he doesn't approve of this release.

23. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Yesterday Warner Brothers stated that "Van Morrison was reissuing Moondance". It' is important that people realise that this is factually incorrect. I did not endorse this, it is unauthorised and it has happened behind my back

My management company at that time gave this music away 42 years ago and now I feel as though it"s being stolen from me again.

Van Morrison

24. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Yeah, the question is what does he approve of???

For such a major talent with a huge back catalogue that is largely out of print, you kinda have to say, I guess he doesn't approve of much at all.

Someone posted earlier that they usually support artists having a lot of control but with Van they would make an exception.... or something to that effect. I agree. This is one bitter dude, an introvert in an extroverts business.

kevywevy likes this.
  25. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

He gets his royalty rate, like most other artists from that era. It's not like he gets nothing. He just wants it all...

hodgo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.