Vancouver Audio Show + Audio Note UK discussion*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by David Cope, May 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceynon

ceynon Forum Resident

New speakers, do tell.

2. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Wine is good for the belly and sleep.

3. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

Here they are in the former setup:
    [​IMG]

Here is the new setup as of this afternoon:
    [​IMG]

I get two days at home to finish setting them up before having to go out of town for a few days, so that should be fun getting them to perform!

Last edited: May 12, 2015
    kfringe likes this.
  4. kfringe

kfringe Well-Known Member

That doesn't suck.

5. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Don.

Fantastic set-up - are those HE versions in Makassar?

I too rearranged my room to get my AN's on the short wall so I can sit further away. Big improvement although they are surprisingly good in the near field even though AN insists they are more suited to the farfield.

6. Don Parkhurst

They are indeed HE versions of AN E in High Gloss Makassar. Part of my desire for that finish came from the fact that it wasn't the same as every other brand or choice that others had made. It was kind of fun to have something a little different. Of course, I see now that Warren Jarret has the same finish on his system that is used for shows....so there are a few others out there!

7. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Don,
    I'm glad that you finally got your speakers. I am anxious to hear your impressions when you get some time with them.

8. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

That was an awesome night :)
    Those AN-Es sound SICK with your Meishu and the Dyna/VPi!!!

9. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

I can't see any images...?

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Regarding AN-E placement, I've found (much to my surprise) that listening in the midfield works amazingly well. I have two rooms, both with AN-E speakers and the first room has them correctly placed in the corners (but not towed in as much as AN recommends) and my second pair is in a big room where it is not possible to be against a back wall. By accident last week I found the sweet spot. I had another set of speakers in place (client request) and I had to move the AN-E's out of the way so I removed the spikes and pushed them to the side. When the client left for the day I wanted to hear the music with the AN speakers so I just pushed them IN FRONT of the other speakers and fired them up. Well, the bass response improved so I figured that the big speakers behind them were acting like a back wall and helping the bass. After thinking about it for a little while I realized that, no, this wasn't the case. They were just in a better position. To prove this, I moved the big speakers out of the way and behold! Same bass response from the AN-E's. They were so much closer to my listening chair it was a bit disconcerting but they work this way so I'm not going to complain. Sorry for the long-winded paragraph but I just wanted to state that AN-E's work well in midfield, a silly 15 inches closer to my listening chair did the trick. The soundstaging is awesome this way as well. Nobody I've told this to believes me... Carry on.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
    raferx, Gary and ceynon like this.
  11. Don Parkhurst

Of course you can't cuz my main computer is offline while I move my stereo into the living room and I can't seem to post online on the Hoffman forums with my iPad. Loser! I've been posting to professional photo groups for 10-12 years, but apparently I need Rafe's helping hand to post to this group

raferx likes this.
  12. Don Parkhurst

You are right! My listening buddy is sitting by my feet and we are playing music a little too loud in the new location :D:D:D:D

raferx likes this.
  13. Don Parkhurst

Hey Steve - thank you! I wondered if I was losing my mind?! I like them farther out than Peter recommends, but not as far as traditional setups!

I love hearing other people's experiences, especially if they have setup one or two systems over the years. I think that this is exactly what is so great about Hoffman forums and Art Of Sound forums in the UK. No problem having a different point of view, just don't be a troll!

Honestly, your discovery is quite similar to Peters discovery regarding corner loading years ago when his supplier made a manufacturing error. Now we have corner loading. Keep an open mind and then judge.

I hesitate to say too much as they only have 12-15 hours on the so far, but, wow! I am getting so much out of them in my new cluttered but dedicated room. A little mid bass bloom and they would be bang on!

raferx and Steve Hoffman like this.
  14. Steve Hoffman

Keep moving them, 1/2 an inch at a time. It's crazy but it will work.

raferx likes this.
  15. Don Parkhurst

Ray;
    I love them so far! I have this sneaking suspicion that your combo of amps/pre-amps/speakers are going to sound fantastic once you have finished your build and have a few (1000) hours on them! I'm kidding of course!

Some aspects of these speakers are really impressing me already. I have listened to a few albums where the sound of stick on drum is eerily real. Other moments are typical 80's glare and haze.

I will say more with more hours and I will post a new topic, rather than continuing to hijack this one : )

16. Don Parkhurst

Ok, will do. I meant to say a 'little less mid bass bloom' and I would be happy. Some electric bass notes and some individual drum hits are crazy good!

I only have two or three or four more songs in me before hitting the hay... Little Wing and Tin Pan Alley And Voodoo Chile (Slight Return). And maybe...

17. Don Parkhurst

By the way, I believe you. I just pulled mine out one third to one half that distance and much, much better! Early days yet though : )

raferx and Steve Hoffman like this.
  18. Richard Austen

right click over the image and then click view image - it will open up.

19. Richard Austen

Hi Don

My favorite finish is the Makassar and that's what I wanted BUT I didn't want to wait for them so I just took what the dealer had. Although I am pleased with the finish I received. My intention is to get the AN E/Spx Alnico Hemp. I get a 15% bonus for 2 years salary at the end of July and I am hoping to put most of it to the speaker (or the M6).

As for positioning - I was told years ago that the AN speakers go through two break in phases. They boom a tad for awhile which is exacerbated by the corner but that goes away and you may find that after a few months if you go back to trying the corner again you will like it much more.

That's what happened to me - I put my J in the corner and got way to much mid bass boom and so I brought them well into the room. 6 months later I put them VERY HARD into the corners such that just a glimmer of light can be seen from the back and side walls and angled such that the tweeters fire a few feet in front of my listening position. Great. But for the first months that was utterly awful.

YMMV of course and no doubt rooms are different depending what they're made out of. Audio Note is based in Europe which tends to have more brick and concrete walls versus wood floors and wood walls. This is rather significantly different. The best sound i have heard from Audio Note was at the FLaminngo in Vegas - concrete walls and at Soundhounds (brick walls). The worst sound has been from wooden hotels with plaster.

This is why I like Warren's solution with his own corners. And not too expensive either.

20. Steve Hoffman

And don't forget, as R. A. mentioned above, break-in is crucial. Peter Q. thinks that Warren Jarrett's AN-E hemps are possibly the only thoroughly broken in AN speakers in the United States. He wants 500 hours on my Alnicos before he'll even talk about them with me. Happy to oblige.

With AN, the basic sonic signature is there from the start but break in just makes it better. That goes for their electronics as well. I think Peter would like us to keep the stuff on all the time, that's why the on/off switches are so friggin' hard to reach. :^)

David Cope and raferx like this.
  21. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Ah-ha! Thanks!

22. David Cope

David Cope Forum Resident Thread Starter

In terms of size, it was quite small, but that's to be expected in the first outing. I was taken aback at how well attended it was. Friday and Sunday were very busy indeed. Saturday seemed about par for the course.

Since I rarely escape the room I'm running, I can't really speak to the variety. I would think it would be unavoidably limited by the small number of rooms.

23. Don Parkhurst

Richard;
    Thanks so much for that information regarding burn in. That is exactly what I'm initially getting. I just ran them straight 24/7 for five or six days (at lower volume), to get some time on them. Being back home from my trip, I can hear an improvement.

I wish you well in your attempt to get the SP/x Alnicos. Wow, those would be amazing! As for the M6, I have heard it a couple of times and always been really impressed!! I fear that it is above my pay grade, but even if I saved up for it, then you have to buy the matching amps :faint:

raferx likes this.
  24. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

We need an Audio Note dealer nearby...

bhazen likes this.
  25. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Come up for a visit! We'll do an AirBnB and a pub crawl in Victoria after a day at Soundhounds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.