Vandersteen VSM speakers, cheap, should I get them?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by inperson, Feb 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inperson

inperson Senior Member Thread Starter

My friend has a pair of these and I can buy them for probably less than $150, maybe $100, anyway these are surround sound only back speakers? Can these be used well for main speakers? I don't have or really want a surround system but I was wondering if they are worth buying just to have another pair of speakers to play with?

Do they sound good?

2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Ask your friend to let you audition them at home before you buy them. Then decide for yourself.

Old Audiophool likes this.
  3. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

The VSM are rated to 60Hz so should have reasonable bass extension. Frankly, the speaker can be a main speaker. At $150 if in good condition they are a steal.

inperson likes this.
  4. inperson

I live two hours away so that makes it slightly problematic.

5. paulieb00

paulieb00 Senior Member

I have a friend who has VSM-1's for his front and surround speakers in his home theater. He also has a VCC-2 center channel and a V2w sub. The system is superb. In stereo music mode it is as good or better than any in or on the wall speakers I have heard or auditioned. At $100-150 they are a steal. They retail for $1295. I would buy them no matter what. If you don't like them you can sell them for more than you paid. Make sure you get the wall brackets with them!

inperson likes this.
  6. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

I like them a lot. Coaxial design so you get good sound wherever you are in the room. They are a steal at the price.

inperson likes this.
  7. inperson

I don't think the brackets are around anymore. Pity.

8. paulieb00

paulieb00 Senior Member

I am sure you could buy a set from Vandersteen since they are still in production.

inperson likes this.
  9. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

It’s wall mount speaker and you need the brackets. You can get from Vandersteen dealer. Still a great buy if the speakers are working properly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.