Vanessa Fernandez "When the Levee Breaks" Zeppelin tribute on triple-LP and SACD (June 2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Feb 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Vanessa Fernandez When the Levee Breaks Numbered Limited Edition 180g 45rpm 3LP-Elusive Disc »

Vanessa Fernandez covers Led Zeppelin tunes in “unplugged” acoustic arrangements.

Brilliant rhythm guitar and solos from arranger-guitarist Tim Pierce including an extended electric guitar solo on the rock version of "Whole Lotta Love" as well as killer vintage slide work on "When The Levee Breaks;" awesome drumming and majestic kick drum work from Jim Keltner on "Kashmir," "Babe" and "Immigrant Song;" driving electric bass lines from Chris Chaney on many of the tracks; memorable B3 and Wurlitzer fills and runs from keyboardist Jim Cox; audacious violin solos and fills from Charlie Bisharat on "Kashmir" and "Immigrant Song;" and, last but in no way least, stirring percussion backing from the great Luis Conte on "When The Levee Breaks," "Black Dog" and "Whole Lotta Love" (acoustic). And throughout every song the magnificent incomparable vocals of Vanessa. Yes - the album was recorded all analogue multi track but several of the vocal tracks are the complete original live track used without any overdubs or fixes. The vocal performance on "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" is gonna leave some listeners breathless!!

Engineered by Michael C. Ross, mixing of the all analogue album, "When the Levee Breaks" by Vanessa Fernandez, was completed at United Recordings (formerly known as Oceanway Recordings). The mixing was done in the legendary studio A with it's great sounding custom built mixing board. The album was mixed down to 1/4 inch 30 ips tape and delivered to Bernie Grundman Mastering where the mastering and lacquer cutting was done.

All the above elements combined to create memorable and immensely satisfying versions of several well known Led Zeppelin songs and the results are in - an album of epic musical and spectacular sonic quality!!

"Much of the album, spread onto three 180g 45rpm records, is acoustic, but songs like "Kashmir" with Jim Keltner on drums, rocks out big time. These are fresh arrangements by guitarist Tim Pierce whose playing credits include session work with Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, Johnny Van Zant, Meat Loaf, Patty Smith, Joe Cocker, Michael Jackson, Joan Armatrading, Madonna, Tina Turner, Rod Stewart, Roger Waters, Eric Clapton, The Doobie Brothers, Elton John, Alice Cooper and others. The instrumental performances add new luster to the old chestnuts. Old fans will enjoy the new musical environment and some non-Led Zep fans will be won over."

"Most importantly, Ms. Fernandez, a long time Led Zep fan, has the vocal chops and the sensibility to wrap her cords tightly around the lyrics and wring new meaning from them. From what I got to hear later on a lacquer, the performances and the sonics will drop your jaws and maybe even your pants!"
    - Michael Fremer, analogplanet.com

Click Here to read more!

Also, click Here to read more!

Features:
    • First 2500 Copies Numbered!
    • 180g Audiophile Vinyl
    • 45rpm Triple LP
    • Triple Gatefold
    • Cut by Bernie Grundman
    • Mastered directly from the original 30 ips 1/4 inch analogue master
    • Features two exclusive LP only tracks

Musicians:
    Vanessa Fernandez, vocals
    Tim Pierce, guitars
    Jim Keltner, drums
    Chris Chaney, bass
    Jim Cox, keyboards
    Charlie Bisharat, violin
    Luis Conte, percussion

Selections:
    LP 1
    Side A:

1. Immigrant Song
    2. Black Dog
    Side B:
    3. Kashmir
    4. Trampled Underfoot

LP 2
    Side C:

5. When the Levee Breaks (acoustic)
    6. The Lemon Song
    Side D:
    7. Ramble On
    8. Whole Lotta Love

LP 3
    Side E:

9. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
    10. Immigrant Song
    Side F: (LP only exclusive)
    11. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You (alternate mix - LP only bonus cut)
    12. Whole Lotta Love (full rock mix - LP only bonus cut)

Here's a track courtesy of Analog Planet:

Cereal Killer and VinylRob like this.
  2. pghmusiclover

3. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Even through that YT clip you can tell it's a great recording. I really like this take on Kashmir.
    That Keltner guy should get more work. ;) He's good!
    Not sure I want to see the price on the 3 lp set but I definitely want to hear the rest of this album.

longdist01 and pghmusiclover like this.
  4. pghmusiclover

It's $69.99! Her previous double-LP is $39.99.

5. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The cover artwork could be better... Looks too modern.

agentalbert likes this.
  6. kumast

kumast Forum Resident

Can we only buy this from Elusive Disc? I can't find a preorder listed anywhere else.

7. pghmusiclover

I'm sure it will be available elsewhere as we closer to the release date, which is still 4 months away. And Elusive Disc is a fantastic retailer, for what it's worth.

8. kumast

kumast Forum Resident

Sure, nothing against Elusive Disc, but I live in Europe.

9. pghmusiclover

Ah sorry -- I didn't notice that -- I'm sure shipping is outrageous! At any rate, I'm sure it will be on Amazon soon enough (though I guess it depends on the distribution the label has in place).

10. kumast

kumast Forum Resident

Yes $43 postage!
    Just noticed it´s also available at Acoustic Sounds, though same postage problem there of course. Hoping Amazon get it soon.

11. groovenoter

groovenoter Forum Resident

This album will be imported by Fenn Music in Germany. They will carry the album in both the triple LP
    and SACD formats. Right now it looks like the vinyl will be pressed in time for the Munich High End Show
    on May 5th to 8th.

12. pghmusiclover

13. pghmusiclover

I listened to the first 4 sides last night and this sounds beautiful -- Vanessa's vocals are subdued, yet powerfully soulful.

14. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Just got this set in the mail today from Elusive Disc. The packaging is pretty impressive...heavy cardstock tri-gatefold cover. It has a Hipgnosis look to it, a la Dark Side of the Moon.

There are three vinyl slabs, and the run out grooves are substantial. On the first disc, there is almost more run-out than music. Could this have fit on two discs instead? I know they probably went this way to avoid having to record too close to the middle of the record. Lots of flipping, though, and the sides are shorter than her last album, Use Me.

But of course, you don't buy audiophile-grade 45 rpm vinyl convenience, and this set has the goods where it matters most. It's a true credit to good music when it can be reinterpreted and taken in a completely different direction from the original, yet maintain its greatness. This album features an abundance of almost slightly-discordant strings, recorded dryly without the usual concert hall acoustics. The violin sometimes takes on an almost fiddle-like quality, with a twangy pull of the bow on the strings, and offset by staccato bursts from the other strings. Imagine if Boz Luhrmann were recording a soundtrack to a movie with a modern take on baroque, and you might find the sounds heard on the first few tracks. On the title track, the violins are exchanged for some well played acoustic guitars. Overall, I really enjoy her take on these classics.

Vanessa's voice is obviously great, with lots of range and power. Her style is a little bit lounge-y, much like her last album, but don't take that as a criticism - it's just kind of her vibe on these two albums. If you liked Use Me, you'll love When The Levee Breaks. The demonstration record potential of this album is awesome, and I'm sure it will be the darling of the next round of audio shows.

Bottom line is that you probably need a copy of this album if you enjoy having the best sounding "demonstration" records in your collection (Janis Ian's Breaking Silence, Cowboy Junkies' Trinity Session, Nils Lofgren's Acoustic Live, etc.). It sounds phenomenal. It's also a must-listen for a Zeppelin fan looking for new takes on old favorites, but you probably don't need the ultra-expensive vinyl version ($69.99 retail) for that. It's recorded beautifully, lovingly, and with an all-analog chain supposedly. The vinyl is quiet, too.

Recommended!

driverdrummer, Big Swifty and ledsox like this.
  15. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

As a follow up, the sides are around 8:30-10 minutes long, so just under an hour of music +/- over the three vinyl slabs. You have to have a "Whole lotta love" for a "whole lot of money" and for not a "whole lotta music!" LOL.

16. pghmusiclover

I honestly didn't mind paying the higher price for the vinyl -- though it would have been less painful for some if they had included a high-res download code with it!

I'm not gonna say it was inexpensive -- but Groove Note did a very nice job with the entire package here.

17. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Just peeled my tri-fold copy out of its shrink-wrap. must say, I'm very impressed. And happy to pay the asking price for this level of quality. Mind you, this may be one of those record titles that if you balk now on, in the end, you will truly be sorry. Buy now, or cry latter. This one is a gem!

Happy Listening!

pghmusiclover likes this.
  18. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

AAA , dead quiet, killer set. Expensive, yes. Worth it, yes.
    Get your copy before they are history...
    ATB,
    Mark

driverdrummer likes this.
  19. tank64

tank64 Forum Resident

I have been waiting for reviews of this album; now I know where part of my next paycheck is going.

20. MadFloyd

MadFloyd Forum Resident

Same here!

21. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

When is the Sacd coming out?

22. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

calgary669 likes this.
  23. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I'm playing this now, and haven't made any judgments about it yet- the recording is impressive, and if you listen to it on the merits without comparing it to the original band, it works- but it makes me wish the original Zep albums were recorded with something approximating this quality. Not meant as a backhanded compliment to Ms. Fernandez & Co. - I loved her interpretation of that great late Curtis Mayfield song on her first album. It will definitely get more play here. Impressive. I just get to get around the huge footprint left by the originators.

24. USAF Chief

USAF Chief Forum Resident

Great way to put it Bill. I've listened to the SACD 3 times and once I got past the "but it's a cover album" piece, it opened up. She's true to the songs, but still makes it her own. Keeps the bluesy vibe, but simplified. Great acoustics, musicians and you can even understand the words now :)

Highly recommend this one.

25. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Heard a couple of tracks at THE Show - very impressed sonically and musically.

Still contemplating a buy - the price is a tough one to get past.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.