Vangelis Album by Album discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darkmatter, Dec 25, 2008.

1. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Vangelis made great use of this baby right here. Wonderful machine very organic.

2. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

Wow!! Great!! :)

3. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

4. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I always wondered if the synth on the cover of his first Greatest Hits disc was one he actually used:

[​IMG]

5. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Actually, I'm liking the Rosetta tracks on that web page more than I liked El Greco...

:hide:

NunoBento and The_Windmill like this.
  6. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I believe this is the machine on the cover, from 1983 I don't know if he used it in the 80's.
    I do know he used the Maxi from interviews and the sound and function.
    The Maxi has this pitch shift switch he made good use of quite masterfully.

The_Windmill likes this.
  7. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Wow! Good eye! That must be the synth from the cover photo, but Vangelis couldn't have used it to record any of the material on that RCA Greatest Hits LP - the Trilogy synth didn't hit the market 'till 81 apparently, and he'd left RCA for Polygram in '78...

8. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Don't own the greatest hits lp but makes sense. I doubt he used one its a crapper like most crumars.
    they made a couple ok stringers and a great mono synth called Spirit designed by Moog.
    I thought the trilogy didn't come out till 83. No matter its a crapper.
    Maybe some of his albums list gear I haven't pulled any out in a while.
    His stuff with the Yamaha cs-80 is stunning. The greatest polysynth ever made imo.
    [​IMG]

sunspot42 likes this.
  9. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

The CS-80 is indeed an awesome sounding synth and Vangelis made very good use of it. But let's not forget the Elka Synthex, heavily used by Jean Michel Jarre and gorgeous sounding. :righton:

ArpMoog likes this.
  10. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

That didn't come out 'till '81 though, long after Jarre had made his mark with Oxygene and Equinoxe. What did he use for those?

And what did Giorgio Moroder use for "I Feel Love"? In a way that's the track that - more than probably any other - mainstreamed electronic instruments.

11. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I think a big Moog. I used to get that with a Arp 2600 and sequencer.
    I love that track by the way.

12. starmike

starmike Active Member

Hi all,
    I've been trying to find the best copy of "Heaven and Hell" for a while now. Between different CDs and LPs, I haven't found one that (IMO) matches the way I think it should sound. It seems like the album should be more dynamic, but isn't. I realize the studio was under construction at the time, but I don't know if that matters. If you compare movement 3 on the CDs to the remastered version on the Cosmos soundtrack, the Cosmos version sounds *much* better. I'm trying to get that quality from the actual album.

The best CD I have right now is BVCM-37678 and on several sites I read that BVCP-7371 should be better. I don't know if this is true, so I'd like to know if anyone's compared the two, and just in general, which version do you like the best?

Thanks!

13. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Who mastered the Cosmos soundtrack? I always thought it sounded a bit thin and had a hot high-end, but that might have been down to trying to cram a lot of material onto each side of a vinyl record and unavoidable.

Based on the track listing at Discogs, the full length of the album is 45:25, which is a wee bit long. I wonder if they dialed the bass down a bit. That mid-'70s Vangelis stuff might benefit from a mid-bass suckout and a high-end boost though - it's a little muddy.

As for Heaven and Hell, the vinyl sounded better overall than the CD I've got, but again, that was probably down to the mastering.

I suspect the CD of Heaven & Hell I've got (I think it's an RCA imported from Germany, if memory serves - they're all ripped and stashed in a closet) is a fairly straight transfer, while the vinyl was certainly tweaked more. I've got The Music Of Cosmos on CD as well. I just did a quick compare here at work, and one obvious difference is the level - the Heaven & Hell CD is much quieter. I suspect they deployed a bit of compression on The Music Of Cosmos in an attempt to bring all of the tracks into alignment when it comes to dynamic range and loudness.

Surprisingly though, the Heaven & Hell CD seems a bit cleaner - definitely less hiss - although I'm also hearing a bit of what sounds like tape damage, because the stereo image warbles slightly in spots.

Hmmm...

14. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Me too. I wasn't a fan of El Greco at all for some reason. As for these new tracks, "Rosetta's Waltz" sounds pretty tame, and the other two tracks aren't groundbreaking or anything, but I like the sound. It's got kind of an icy/spacey vibe. There is less than 10 minutes of music among those three tracks, so I'm guessing there will be a lot more on the album. The cover is cool.

sunspot42 likes this.
  15. Bruno Republic

Bruno Republic Forum Resident

A modular Moog, clavinet, a string synth of some sort, and a real bass drum for the kick.

16. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

As far as I know all remasters have problems. The last one has digital reverb added and for some reason Vangelis removed a bit of music. The early japanese remaster was criticized on some Vangelis site but I don't remember why, it was long time ago.
    Is the BVCP-7371 really a remaster? I knew of one Japan only remaster, not two.

I have the 2-fer version (packed together with Albedo), never complained about it at the time but it's a lifetime too.
    Chances are all the "old" CDs are the same.
    Has this album ever been compared in this forum?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  17. starmike

starmike Active Member

sunspot,
    Right, H&H always sounded quiet. And if you boost the volume you get hiss. I always wondered why the snippet from Cosmos (BMG) always sounded far better than the remastered H&H albums themselves. I was hoping the Esoteric masters would be better...but nope.

Credits say Tom Mitchell (Co-producer, Sound Designer, and Mixer), Jeff Boydstun (Mastering Engineer and Digital Magician).

sunspot42 likes this.
  18. starmike

starmike Active Member

I'm not sure because Vangelis Collector ( lists it as "second pressing", but there's a discrepancy between 20-bit on 7371 and 24-bit on 37678.

19. Cent@ury

Cent@ury Well-Known Member

Vangelis "Rosetta" sounds like another version of "Alexander", showing an agening Vangelis, very far from his Heaven and Hell golden years...

20. Cent@ury

Hi
    Hi Simon,

This is my list. :)

(1963)Vangelis & The Forminx - My Brother The Traffic Policeman OST [Bootleg]
    (1965-1968)Vangelis & The Forminx
    (1967)Vangelis - 5000 Lies O.S.T. [Bootleg]
    (1968)Vangelis - Apollo Goes On Holiday O.S.T
    (1968)Vangelis & Aphrodite's Child - End Of The World
    (1969)Vangelis & Aphrodite's Child - Best Of Aphrodite's Child
    (1969)Vangelis & Aphrodite's Child - It's Five O'Clock
    (1970)Vangelis - Sex Power OST
    (1971)Vangelis - Frenzy O.S.T. [Bootleg]
    (1971)Vangelis - Hypothesis
    (1971)Vangelis - The Dragon
    (1972)Vangelis - Fais Que Ton Rêve Soit Plus Long Que La Nuit
    (1972)Vangelis - Au Pays Des Visages [Bootleg]
    (1972)Vangelis & Aphrodite's Child - 666 The Apocalypse Of St. John
    (1972)Vangelis & Demis Roussos - Ainsi Soit-il
    (1973)Vangelis - Earth
    (1973)Vangelis - L'Apocalypse Des Animaux OST
    (1975)Vangelis - Ace Up My Sleeve (Crime And Passion) OST[Bootleg]
    (1975)Vangelis - Albedo 0.39
    (1975)Vangelis - Braque (OFF World Music) [Bootleg]
    (1975)Vangelis - Heaven And Hell
    (1975)Vangelis - La Fete Sauvage (Complete Score, Andromeda Music) [Bootleg]
    (1975)Vangelis - La Fete Sauvage Estratti Inediti [Bootleg]
    (1975)Vangelis - La Fete Sauvage OST
    (1975)Vangelis & Mariangela - Honalulu Baby
    (1976)Vangelis & R.Cocciante - Concerto per Margherita
    (1976)Vangelis & Socrates - Phos
    (1977)Vangelis - Ignacio OST
    (1977)Vangelis - Spiral
    (1977)Vangelis & Chrisma [Krisma] - Chinese Restaurant
    (1977)Vangelis & Demis Roussos - Magic
    (1978)Vangelis - Beaubourg
    (1978)Vangelis - Sensitivity Plus Alpha(LIVE, PARIS'78)
    (1978)Vangelis - The Best Of
    (1978)Vangelis & Chrisma [Krisma] - Hibernation
    (1978)Vangelis & Clauido Babglioni - E Tu
    (1979)Vangelis - China
    (1979)Vangelis - Cirque Royale
    (1979)Vangelis - Concert In London
    (1979)Vangelis - Opera Sauvage
    (1979)Vangelis & Irene Papas - Odes
    (1980)Jon & Vangelis - Short Stories
    (1980)Vangelis - See You Later
    (1980)Vangelis - See You Later (Special Expanded Edition) [Bootleg]
    (1981)Vangelis - Chariots Of Fire (OFF World Music) [Bootleg]
    (1981)Vangelis - Chariots Of Fire OST
    (1981)Vangelis - L'Arbre de Vie [Bootleg]
    (1981)Vangelis - Missing OST
    (1981)Vangelis - The Music Of Cosmos OST
    (1981)Vangelis & Milva - Ich hab keine Angst
    (1982)Blade Runner (The New American Orchestra)
    (1982)Jon & Vangelis - The Friends Of Mr. Cairo
    (1982)Vangelis - Picasso
    (1982)Vangelis & Demis Roussos - Demis
    (1983)Jon & Vangelis - Private Collection
    (1983)Vangelis - Antarctica (OFF World Music) [Bootleg]
    (1983)Vangelis - Antarctica OST
    (1984)Jon And Vangelis - The Best Of
    (1984)Vangelis - Silent Portraits
    (1984)Vangelis - Soil Festivities
    (1984)Vangelis - The Bounty OST
    (1984)Vangelis & Demis Roussos - Reflection
    (1984)Vangelis & Suzanne Ciani - The Velocity Of Love
    (1985)Vangelis - Frankenstein, the Modern Prometheus [Bootleg]
    (1985)Vangelis - Mask
    (1986)Vangelis - Live In Los Angeles
    (1986)Vangelis & Irene Papas - Rapsodies
    (1988)Vangelis - Direct
    (1988)Vangelis - Sauvage Et Beau
    (1989)Vangelis - Francesco
    (1989)Vangelis - Themes
    (1989)Vangelis - Les Espaces Des Animaux [Bootleg]
    (1989)Vangelis - Morandi (OFF World Music) [Bootleg]
    (1989)Vangelis Live - Terme Di Caracalla (2CDs) [Bootleg]
    (1990)Vangelis - De Nuremberg A Nuremberg
    (1990)Vangelis - The City
    (1990)Vangelis -Heaven and Hell BVCP-5024 Japan Edition
    (1991)Jon & Vangelis - Page Of Life
    (1991)Vangelis - Event Of Excellence(Live In Holland'91)
    (1992)Vangelis - 1492 (OFF World Music) [Bootleg]
    (1992)Vangelis - 1492- The Conquest Of Paradise OST
    (1992)Vangelis - Bitter Moon(Xpanded)
    (1992)Vangelis - The Plague OST
    (1993)Klaus Schulze playing Vangelis - Conquest Of Paradise (Single)
    (1993)Vangelis - Blade Runner OST (Private Release)
    (1993)Vangelis - Concert For ELPIDA (Live 1993) [Bootleg]
    (1993)Vangelis - Musique au Coeur [Bootleg]
    (1994)Jon & Vangelis - Change We Must
    (1994)Vangelis - Blade Runner OST
    (1995)Vangelis - Blade Runner OST (Gongo Bootleg)
    (1995)Vangelis - Euterpe
    (1995)Vangelis - Voices
    (1995)Vangelis & Aphrodite's Child - The Singles
    (1996)Vangelis - Faces [Bootleg]
    (1996)Vangelis - Portraits
    (1996)Vangelis & Aphrodite's Child - The Complete Collection
    (1996)Vangelis & Neuronium - A Separate Affair(In London)
    (1996)Vangelis & Stina Nordenstam - Ask The Mountains(Single)
    (1997)Vangelis - Gift
    (1997)Vangelis - Oceanic
    (1997)Vangelis - Themes II (Bootleg)
    (1998)Vangelis - The Tegos Tapes
    (1999)Vangelis - El Greco
    (1999)Vangelis - Sauvage et Beau (OFF World Music) [Bootleg]
    (1999)Vangelis - Uncommon Tracks
    (2000)Vangelis - Collaborations [Bootleg]
    (2000)Vangelis - Rare Soundtracks
    (2000)Vangelis - Cousteau
    (2000)Vangelis - Collaboration Works
    (2000)Vangelis - Reprise 1990 - 1999
    (2000)Vangelis - The Music Of Cosmos Collector's Edition
    (2001)Vangelis - Mythodea- Music for the NASA Mission -- 2001 Mars Odyssey
    (2002)Vangelis - Francesco (Complete Score, Andromeda Music) (2CDs) [Bootleg]
    (2002)Vangelis & Aphrodite's Child_Babylon The Great - An Introduction To Aphrodite's Child
    (2003)Vangelis - L'Apocalypse Des Animaux (Vagos Edition) (2CDs) [Bootleg]
    (2003)Vangelis - Odyssey (The Definitive Collection)
    (2004)Vangelis -Alexander The Complete Score (2CDs) [Bootleg]
    (2004)Vangelis & Sean Connery - Ithaca
    (2005)Vangelis - Blade Runner - Esper The Definitive Collectors Edition (Bootleg)
    (2005)Vangelis - Blade Runner Esper Edition
    (2006)Vangelis - Greatest Hits (Collectors Edition)
    (2007)Vangelis - Blade Runner Trilogy, 25th Anniversary
    (2008)Vangelis & Robert Janson - Swiadectwo OST
    (2008)Vangelis - El Greco OST
    (2011)Vangelis - Blade Runner (29th Anniversary Limited Edition)
    (2012)Vangelis - Chariots of Fire - The Play (Music from the Stage Show)
    (2012)Vangelis - The Collection
    (2013)Vangelis - Spiral-(ECLEC_2423)-READNFO-Remastered-CD-2013-CBR
    (2013)Vangelis & Luz Casal - Almas Gemelas (Edicion Especial) (2 CDs) [mp3][www.lokotorrents.com]

21. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

^ You're missing the original 1995 release of El Greco, better titled as "Foros Timhs Ston Gkreko," that did not include the three tracks added to the later release.

22. Cent@ury

Yes, you are right. Also is not the music of Trashed(that is not as good as I expected), Le Crépuscule des Ombres, etc. Do you have this list updated?

23. Cent@ury

I respect your opinion..but I strongly disagree...

For me,E Tu has the perfect mix between pop meets space progressive sound that (sadly) Vangelis losted in some of his "newagelike" recent albums...

CLAUDIO BAGLIONI – E TU…
    (Drums, Electric Piano, Percussions, Hammond, Harpsichord Synthesizers, Harp, Flute Cembalo, Clarinet, Vibes, Sound-effects and Arrangements by Vangelis)

This is another collaboration with an Italian singer. Baglioni’s voice has some similarities to Riccardo Cocciante in tone and gruffness. As can be seen from above, Vangelis plays an impressive number of instruments here. As far as his instrumental prowess, I refer you to a Melody Maker article dated August 10, 1974:

"Vangelis cannot read a note of music, but does not think there's an instrument in creation that he can't play adequately. His Continental reputation centres partly on his keyboard expertise, yet he'd rather play drums than anything else."

(for the complete article, see: Elsewhere: Interviews, Melody Maker '74 »)​

I won’t go into a lot of detail this album. Beyond Vangelis, there is a long list of contributors (who are, oddly enough, credited with playing many of the same instruments as Vangelis). Most of this in inconsequential pop and there are probably not enough Vangelis signature sounds to hold your attention.

The track Oh Merilu is a retro-sounding song featuring sax, horns and some female “la-la-la’s”. I only mention it because it has a quirky “bloop – bloop – bloop” sound that wouldn’t be out of place on an early 80’s track.

There are a few interesting spots here, but overall this album falls very close to the easy listening category.[/QUOTE]

24. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

I do not, sorry. I'm not much for keeping lists. I rely on my LPs and CDs to do that.
    Perhaps you'd like Trashed better if it were to be released as a standalone soundtrack.
    One of the qualities that I most admire in Vangelis' music is that each work has such a unique character. Would we really want 40 years of copies of Heaven and Hell? In contrast, look at the work of Kitaro. While superb, his albums have a sound that seldom varies. One of the reasons we seek out every last track Vangelis has touched is the element of surprise they hold.

25. Cent@ury

For me, discovering the music of Vangelis started with Carl Sagan Cosmos and Heaven and Hell. I wanted to know more of Vangelis and his music and started searching. And because of this I keep lists. Every Vangelis hard core fan does. And every hard core fan knows that a lot of Vangelis work is not available in CDs or LPs.

Trashed music sound superficial and with no character. Even if sometime in the future would be released as a OST wil still sound the same. Unless Vangelis remix it in different way.

Heaven and Hell was recorded on 1975.What I really admire of this work is how timeless sounds. And still sound unique. That´s why I always compare every work of Vangelis with it and still being the best that Vangelis has done.

About the 40 years of copies people still listening to The Beatles, Bach, Beethoven, Rolling Stones and a long etc. because they still have something to say. They becomed Classics.Like Heaven and Hell. 40 years and counting...

In contrast of Vangelis, Kitaro´s music is very easy to find and get. I liked much of the early work of Kitaro, like the Silk Road series. The worst part of an artist is becoming commercial, because they sell the spirit that defines their work. That happened to Vangelis,Kitaro and a lot of succesful artits. Sometimes they realize this and make retuns to their true roots, like the Sacred Journey Of Ku-Kai series of Kitaro that I consider the finest works Kitaro has ever done.