Vangelis Album by Album discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darkmatter, Dec 25, 2008.

1. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Which reminds me...

[​IMG]

J&V Page of Life (1998 - re-release with different tracks that Vangelis did not approve of)
    S (2001) Mythodea: Music for the NASA Mission: 2001 Mars Odyssey
    FS (2004) Alexander - score to the Oliver Stone film
    FS (2007) Blade Runner Trilogy. 25th Anniversary - 3 CD set featuring the remastered 1994 release, a disc with previously unreleased music from the Ridley Scott film, and a disc with music inspired by the film
    FS (2007) El Greco Original Motion Picture Soundtrack - score to the Yannis Smaragdis film

2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

There's a 13-CD boxed set on the way, FYI - Delectus, coming February 3rd. A 64-page book, photos, remastered albums, rare B-sides and 4 unreleased tracks, all from the Polydor / Vertigo Records years, '73 - '85 (not including the RCA stuff).

darkmatter likes this.
  3. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

^ It's too bad that the "rare B-sides" and the 4 "unreleased" tracks are really the same 4 tracks. Further, only two of these are really B-sides as one track was the A-side of a single. This leaves only one "unreleased" track - which actually was released, just in a very, very, very limited quantity.

From the Univeral announcement:
    There are 4 bonus tracks, the previously unreleased:

Neighbours Above - 2015 Remastered version - Bonus track for See You Later

The other bonus tracks are:

My Love - 2015 Remastered version - Bonus track for See You Later
    Domestic Logic 1 - 2015 Remastered version - Bonus track for See You later
    Song Is (Jon & Vangelis) - 2015 Remastered version - Bonus track for Private Collection

They were released on singles and have never appeared on CD before.

The_Windmill likes this.
  4. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Interesting...

5. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

RCA remasters were a missed opportunity.
    What about these ones?
    We'll see.

6. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Question about Antarctica: is it correct that the second part of "Song Of White" just repeats the "Theme From Antarctica" (from 2:47 on)??

7. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

I might call it a reprise but, yes, it's the same theme.

Yost likes this.
  8. The_Windmill

yes, it always sounded weird and unnecessary (and a little boring too) to me, it kinda breaks the stream.
    I don't remember how it is used in the movie though.

Yost likes this.
  9. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Thanks. I found a used CD today and at first thought it was a mispress. But the track timing matched Discogs. It just kept me wondering.

10. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

What about the remaining albums for this thread? Following El Greco.

Carlox likes this.
  11. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

S (2001) Mythodea: Music for the NASA Mission: 2001 Mars Odyssey
    FS (2004) Alexander - score to the Oliver Stone film
    FS (2007) Blade Runner Trilogy. 25th Anniversary - 3 CD set featuring the remastered 1994 release, a disc with previously unreleased music from the Ridley Scott film, and a disc with music inspired by the film
    FS (2007) El Greco Original Motion Picture Soundtrack - score to the Yannis Smaragdis film

LarsO likes this.
  12. The_Windmill

Sorry to say but I never liked Mythodea.
    Tried it several times but always killed me.
    It's when I realized Vangelis should stay away from trying to be a pure "classical" musician (used improperly here, I know) and his lack of formal music training shows. Whatever balance he had in Heaven & Hell is completely lost here; but that album was a hybrid anyway.
    His language speaks better with an electronic setup and mindset(which in turn is influencing style and form).

pantofis, dougotte and Carlox like this.
  13. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

I agree, same feeling.

14. Cent@ury

Cent@ury Well-Known Member

Vangelis Fans: Are you tired of waiting, praying and hoping that Vangelis publish all his music? How you ever wonder why Vangelis only resissues the same music over and over again instead of realising unknown or very difficult to get material? We should follow how the music of Cosmos was published: because hundreds of letters went to the tv stations asking for the music.So, I propose that me, you, and any Vangelis Fan that want unreleased material of Vangelis publish, send letters to him and his company telling this. Also, tell other Vangelis Fans to do this so we can stop the waiting!!

15. The_Windmill

First: I'm not tired at all. There's so much music produced through the centuries to be discovered and enjoyed that a lifetime is not enough. Vangelis published enough already.
    Second: he just put out a new album, so he's not just reissuing again and again.
    Third: I had my Vangelis obsessive phase in the past and going through a lot of bootlegs I could easily get to the conclusion that (90% of the time) if it's not released there's a good reason for it. Like, for instance, it sucks.

I'd be interested in expanded editions of some soundtracks and maybe a compilation of film music unreleased so far. Not much more than that.

16. Cent@ury

But you never have it because, like most of Vangelis Fans, you aren´t used to ask Vangelis..

17. BobbyH

BobbyH Forum Resident

I wish Vangelis would release the complete Blade Runner soundtrack. It's strange that he didn't include the actual opening prologue music on the 25th Anniversary 3-disc set but it was included on the 2012 compilation called The Collection, although on that album it was just added to the beginning of the officially released Main Titles, so the dialogue is still in there. I do really like how he mixed two different pieces of music together for the Main Titles, but it would be nice if he released the complete score with no dialogue snippets.

NunoBento and sunspot42 like this.
  18. The_Windmill

That will never happen. He's done with it. :D
    Plus there are satisfactory "complete" scores out there, if one has already bought everything official.

19. BobbyH

BobbyH Forum Resident

Yeah I'm well aware of that. :)

20. BobbyH

BobbyH Forum Resident

By the way, how do you know he's done with it?

21. The_Windmill

We chat everyday on Facebook, of course ;)

willy likes this.
  22. The_Windmill

Seriously though: the Trilogy set put an end to it. There could have been space for a full release of the score, and instead we had a short second disc of selected and edited leftovers.
    No full length Blues (not that's actually a problem to me), no full length End titles (both could have been welcome bonus tracks to most fans) and the dialogue-free version of Tears In Rain at the end of the second suite sounds like a forced, and exceptional, concession.
    The unused space on CDs 1 and 2 could have accomodate pretty much all the remaining leftovers. But he preferred to let them out. The prologue could be added to the original track-list, but he preferred leaving the suite untouched.
    Instead, and more importantly, we got a third disc of unrequested brand new material.

It's a more than eloquent statement if you ask me: enough with the past, let's move on.

23. The_Windmill

Which anticipates the forthcoming discussion about the Trilogy :D

24. BobbyH

BobbyH Forum Resident

Technically he wasn't done with it. He added the prologue to the Main Titles on the compilation album "The Collection." So maybe that's a small hint that there could be more to come. I understand this is most likely a pipe dream, but it makes me wonder why he even bothered adding the prologue to that compilation album.

25. Cent@ury

The Windmill :
    By the way, how do you know he's done with it?
    We chat everyday on Facebook, of course ;)

Haha...Yeah...right...you wish!! ...Keep on dreaming...

The Windmill :
    Seriously though: the Trilogy set put an end to it. There could have been space for a full release of the score, and instead we had a short second disc of selected and edited leftovers.
    No full length Blues (not that's actually a problem to me), no full length End titles (both could have been welcome bonus tracks to most fans) and the dialogue-free version of Tears In Rain at the end of the second suite sounds like a forced, and exceptional, concession.
    The unused space on CDs 1 and 2 could have accomodate pretty much all the remaining leftovers. But he preferred to let them out. The prologue could be added to the original track-list, but he preferred leaving the suite untouched.
    Instead, and more importantly, we got a third disc of unrequested brand new material.
    It's a more than eloquent statement if you ask me: enough with the past, let's move on.

Hey, wake up!...Defectus has music from the past!...But wait...is easy money for Vangelis and Co, because most of his fans would buy anything he sells without hesitation, right?