Vanguard Closing its doors

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sgb, Aug 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Helo Petzi.

Always heard it as Beethoven, Bach and Brahms.

There should be also the three Vs: Vivaldi, Verdi and ... (checking encyclopedia) ... Varèse, yes Varèse :rolleyes:

How many have been prompted to search for Varèse by Chicago?

And to Beethoven by our droogie Alexander De Large?

And to Vivaldi by All that Jazz?

There must be legions and it can be done again and again. But it requires A&R men. Where are they?

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Exactly right. BTW, I did participate in orchestra classes in school.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

One of my favorite LPs was released on CD by Vanguard...The Serpent Power in Stereo. Great CD,! :love:

4. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

It's so sad.

It seems we are alone in arranging for our children to listen to classical music. Gently, gently...

5. Gary Mack

Gary Mack Active Member

A one-uh and a two-uh. Turn off-uh the bubble-uh machine-uh!

THAT (Lawrence) Welk Music Group?

:laugh: GM

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yup. That's-a-them-a.

"Thank you boys-ah"

7. sgb

sgb Senior Member Thread Starter

Gracias, Señor Proufo, for making the distinction between listeners and buyers.

As one inquisitive in the ways that a symphony can be interpreted, I have, over the past 40 years, owned as many as 20 different performances of the Beethoven 5th; my latest was purchased just a few years ago when David Zinman released an entire Beethoven cycle using the Bärenreiter Urtext editions for the first time in a recording. Up to that time, though, I hadn't bought any new performances of the Beethoven symphonies for more than 20 years. And, so it is with the majority of classical warhorses: once you've collected a few there isn't much point in buying others unless they offer something substantially different.

When I said that people in the future would have to visit museums or libraries to hear classical music, I wasn't thinking in the near term future, but more on the lines of 50 years from now.

As for some exposure in the schools, government programs are headed towards funding of vocational programs, and away from those that would make our people culturally literate. Sorry, that's the truth..

8. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

I wonder it political correctness is a factor here. Perhaps if a Western music is made mandatory then someone would force the school to have also an African Roots group. Ditto for any other cultural group represented in the school.

Too much hassle.

PC is to truth as PC is to Macintosh.

9. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Yes, and you have to be aware of the new releases and of what is worthy about them.

Due to ignorance, I'm not able to get myself involved in the interpretation of classical and even of pop music. But there's this 6th by Fürtwangler that does magic in me. A 50s recording and in CD!!

Maybe I'll join you sometime in the future, sgb. My wife will kill me though

:laugh:

10. BradOlson

Fortunately, I do have some classical recordings so that I can share some of it with future generations.

11. sgb

Right on; straight ahead.

12. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Unless you're silly like me. I have over 20 versions of Beethoven's 6th Symphony.

13. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Hello yesman.

Tell me something, is it me or there's something special about Wilhelm Furtwängler recorded live at Lugano, May 1954?

Oh, the dangers of sillyness :eek:

Thanks in advance and regards.

14. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

So THAT's the version I don't have.;) With that high of a recomendation I'll have to visit Tower records tomorrow and pick it up.

15. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Now that would be cool. Classical, blues, jazz, folk, etc. Of course, it would leave little time for Shakespeare, much less math and science.

16. Ben

Ben New Member

God, that just makes me want to puke...

Let's make sure the next generation sets their sights high, huh?

Disgusting.

17. Michael

I don't get your anger? Better than a class on Drive-Bys. Next generation :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ...What are they going to do have a class on the disrespect of women and life in general? Pleeezee!

18. RDK

RDK Active Member

In the dark days of my past, I used to work for the man... well, sorta.

;)

19. sgb

Uh-oh. :eek:

Don't give them any ideas, Michael. Cultural literacy is being taken out of the classroom simply because they (the NEA) claim there's no time nor no need for it. Backed by Federal pork programs based on PC legislations, school districts everywhere (not just here) have to ammend their curricula in order to be eligible for this special funding (and, of course, they all claim they need that).

I don't know what you meant by your first sentence, but I think that any parent who feels an understanding of the cultural aspects of the world's societies (music, art, history etc) are important to a well-rounded education shouldn't be merely angry, he/she should be outraged. It takes a village, my @$$.

20. Michael

Thank God, By the time the youth of today take control It will not be a concern of mine...I don't want to get started on a rant and won't. Have you looked around and observed what's going on? It looks dark!.:eek:

21. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

I believe you will not be disappointed.

Mine is a Japanese pressing with no English booklet. Made by King Record Co. Original recording by DISCOS, Milano.

BTW, is Mono.

22. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

Three Bs

Well at least Bruckner is in the same league with these... So at least for me, they´re the 4 Bs ;)

23. BradOlson

Sousa Forever on RCA

If you want a great sounding classical recording, pick up "Sousa Forever" on RCA Red Seal stereo vinyl LSC-2569 (the mono version is LPM-2569), conducted by Morton Gould & His Symphonic Band. Even if you aren't really listening to Sousa's band, this is a great hi-fi substitute and contains renditions of 14 of Sousa's best known marches. It unfortunately isn't on CD but it had been reissued on cassette as "Great Sousa Marches" taken from the original Living stereo master and even that reissue sounds great for a cassette. Steve, this would be perfect for CD reissue

24. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

To get back to the Everest/Vanguard classical music . . .

The Everest and Vanguard recordings are some of the best-recorded classical music you will ever hear. The tapes were in immaculate condition when they went to remaster them for CD. I think I remember reading that the cannisters were rusted shut!

25. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

For those too lazy to do there own searching, here are some interesting links on the line and specific recommendations..

http://www.classical.net/music/recs/reviews/v/vanguard.html

http://www.classical.net/music/recs/reviews/e/evc09018a.html

http://www.classical.net/music/recs/reviews/e/evc09037a.html

http://www.classical.net/music/guide/society/lssa/disco.html#everest

http://www.classical.net/music/guide/society/lssa/disco.html#vanguard

Lot's of excellent non Everest labeled recommendations also. Actually it's a good web site all around if your interested in classical.

http://classicalcdreview.com/sonichall2.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.