Vanguard pressing plants

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by haiyai2u, Apr 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haiyai2u

haiyai2u Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have several Vanguard releases but only on re-issues can I find pressing plant identification. In this case it was Columbia Pressing Plant, Santa Maria identified by etched 'S'. Are there other means of identifying pressing plant info or who did press for Vanguard in the early 70's.

2. ThePoodleBites

ThePoodleBites Forum Blogger

I am bumping this thread as I am also curious about this. I have two mono copies of Country Joe & The Fish's "I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die" from 1967, and I'm trying to figure out what the different matrix information (with accompanying label variations) mean:

**Version 1 (Discogs: [r2366342])
    VRS 9266 A-1F XTV 124685-1F
    VRS 9266 B-1E XTV 124686-1E

**Version 2 (Discogs: [r7088286])
    VRS 9266 A-1G 1 0 R A1
    VRS 9266 B-1G 0 1 R A2

Any ideas / information from anyone on early Vanguard pressings?

3. haiyai2u

Thanks for bumping this!

4. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Many titles of the 1967-69 era are Columbia products, clearly pressed at the Pittman & Santa Maria plants. I have some early copies (Sandy Bull etc.) ca. 1965-66 that are RCA pressings. One tip off is the number/letter system that Columbia used. RCA did too but their pressing sare so distinct the 2 can't be mistaken.

5. haiyai2u

Thanks, are the RCA pressings re-issues? I can identify my Columbia Santa Maria re-issues but curious about to identify the pressing on Non-Reissues.. Any ideas?

6. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

No RCA was pressing Vanguard back in the 60's. I've seen Country Joe re-issues - never kept one - but iirc they were all Columbia pressings. I don't pay much attention to reissues. Check out discogs; usually the listing will give dead wax information that can help pinpoint who pressed the record listed. Sometimes the contributor is knowledgable and accurately lists who pressed the particular record. Unfortunately there are also plenty of listers who get it terribly wrong. Caveat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.