Vanilla Ice bought Under Pressure?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by egebamyasi, Jul 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I never understood the artistic angst. Rappers sampled songs from the beginning. Vanilla did it very well here.

Could he have just paid for the sample? Don't rappers do that today? Could he just give a co-writing credit? Anybody can play that bass line.

Stephen J and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. There's nothing unethical about sampling as long as it's acknowledged and done legally. That was the problem with "Ice Ice Baby". More than the bass line from "Under Pressure" was sampled.

Nostaljack likes this.
  3. It seems that Vanilla Ice may have continued stealing after he went over to HGTV.

Vanilla Ice -- Arrested for Home Burglary

Damien DiAngelo likes this.
  4. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Mostly likely, the Queen folks get all of the publishing money for "Under Pressure" and get a chunk of "Ice Ice Baby". The putz with the haircut and the parachute pants gets the rest. I wouldn't be surprised if Queen get a piece of the artist money from "Ice Ice Baby", if that bassline is actually sampled. Disclosue, I like the bassline and dislike both songs.

Nostaljack likes this.
  5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

to ne honest not sure how they can prove it was sampled. ice ice baby has an extra bass note in it from what I remember

6. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

7. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Like I mentioned in that earlier post, Ice claimed that "he went to school in Liberty City (Miami) with Luther Campbell and hung out in all the places in overtown with his homies." Campbell called him out on it which left him stuttering. Because of that, WEDR (Miami's #1 R&B/hip-hop station) pulled him off their playlist.
    We (at the store) were all dying with laughter when Ice tried to reinvent himself as a weed rapper trying to cash in on Cypress Hill's popularity,
    the cover and the song titles alone screamed desperation.

[​IMG]

Some behind the scenes stuff on his home improvement show, if he's near you don't forget to lock the doors.
    Vanilla Ice 'sent his crew over TWICE to burgle Florida property' | Daily Mail Online

Nostaljack likes this.
  8. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Nostaljack likes this.
  9. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

I bought the "Mind Blowin'" album when it came out 23 years ago, and still own it. It's a good record, top to bottom, well worth a listen.

10. Matthew Tate

you must have missed where he states it was AFTER the queen lawsuit

11. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Yeah, I think it's truly terrible too. "Roll 'em Up" is hilarious. Hootie Mac indeed...

On the plus side, the hair extensions are well done.

Ed

Hamhead likes this.
  12. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

"the rapper claimed he purchased the song from Bowie and Queen"

I'll translate: I sampled music without authorization and had to pay for it.

He still doesn't OWN it.

UPDATE: A spokesman for Queen tells Ultimate Classic Rock that Vanilla Ice’s statement is inaccurate. “An arrangement was made whereby the publishing in the song was shared.”

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  13. Matthew Tate

if you watch the interview he claimed he purchased it AFTER they filed a lawsuit.

also the statement from queen was discussed already too

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.