Vast improvement for my hearing loss

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ghost rider, Mar 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been dealing with this for a few years. I even wondered how much I would continue to enjoy music.

So today I finally got around to updating my Merging technology Anubis , my audio device. It was a big update that includes the ability to eq each channel. The filters I setup look like a shelf filter starting at 4k.

It sounded good before but I'm really liking this. The cool thing is. The Anubis has balanced and unbalanced outputs. My balanced are my flat output. The unbalanced are eq-ed so switching is easy. It subtle but I can hear the improvement.

Lots of audio devices will have this option. I know RME for one.

jtw and d.r.cook like this.
  2. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

I have tinitus, and have also lost the high end of my hearing..... the Merging is new to me so i'm really interested to know how you use the Merging ...

3. ghost rider

Swann36 I to have tinnitus and listening to music has become much harder. I'm not always able to control what triggers it to a louder level. Being around loud noise, using headphones or worse earbuds makes it worse. When I use hearing protection even in a silent room it becomes much worse. When I exercise it's much worse.

Merging Technologies | MERGING+ANUBIS Compact AD/DA Interface
    Merging Technologies Anubis is totally a pro interface. Used by engineers recording classical music. Has a dynamic range of 139db. It is the keystone of a network of devices that could control a maximum of 128 channels.

It is overkill for recording vinyl. I use it as an A/D D/A converter. What makes this device different and works so well for my needs is it connects using Ethernet digital cables and using a common network switch multiple computers and or compatible devices can be connected. I got it to record vinyl and playback needle drops. They sell two versions I think now $1800 and $2300 so is likely not an option for most people. The only difference is the more expensive version records and plays DSD.

I have my main audio computer call it my DAW. I record process store and play digital files from. My choice it is never or rarely connected to the internet. I connect a different computer for streaming audio. So anything digital coming from a computer I can use the Anubis DAC.

[​IMG]
    With the new firmware update I go to settings find the monitor channels and set up an EQ for each channel. It would be hard to turn it on and off but using balanced outputs for the flat (un eqed) when I'm listening with other people and the unbalanced outputs using the curve in the image above is always on. I listen mostly by myself and I think it definitely made music sound fuller so I expect to use it often.

I don't think the device is practical for most. There may be better easier ways to do the same thing. A good graphic equalizer would work for most people. Using an interface to eq the sound only works for digital, so playing vinyl would not benefit.

Good luck finding some relief and better enjoyment from music. Hearing aids can help as well. I will be looking into that soon.

Swann36 likes this.
  4. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

@ghost rider thank you for that full explanation ...i don't have the means to EQ anything at present and it is something i'm considering ...

unlike like you sometimes i find headphones of benefit but the last year or so only my Stax L300 Ltds its as if the electrostatics affect me less than my MrSpeakers Ethers or Ultrasone Edition 8 ...ear buds i can't tolerate at all now ... luckily my tinitus is for now only in one ear and i use a hearing aid with that ear as my consultant has said it "may" help but that i've got to be very patient and persistent using it ..which i am trying hard to follow ....she says i'll only know after 9 to 18 mths of using it ... of course it comes off for headphones ... and i do listen every other day to a utube tinitus therapy which my consultant again said might help ...and much to my surprise ( i was very sceptical ) it does on some occaisions slightly reduce the intensity ....(I'm happy to share a link to it but don't want to push anything ) ...

So EQ will only work for digital ....including CD ? ....I listen mostly to vinyl followed by cd with some streaming only Spotify & Amazon so not high quality on the streaming front but cd and vinyl is the highest quality my budget allows ....

5. ghost rider

With the RME device and a external phono stage you could run vinyl through the device and eq it there. The ADI2 also has digital inputs so it could actually work as a DAC. RME is know for having rock solid drivers Merging has a long way to go to catch up with them.
    RME ADI-2 Pro FS R AD/DA Converter - Black Edition

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.