Velvet Underground and Nico on Verve V6-5008 (Black Label)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thomasec, May 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thomasec

thomasec Forum Resident Thread Starter

I saw this copy at my local record store for about $20, and was wondering if it's worth picking up. I tried a search on the forums, but it looks like the only info on Verve VU albums is on the original pressing, and not the reissue black label on Verve. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Here's the info posted on the stores site:

"4th pressing on Verve with no man on back cover, peeled banana, side two reads RE-1 on trail-off groove"

2. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

Hey, I just saw a brand-new sealed one of these at my local store the other day and meant to ask about it but forgot.

It's clearly a new pressing, shrinkwrapped and everything, but I don't know if it's legit or not. I think it was priced about $12 or $13.

Anyone know anything about this?

(Sorry if I'm hijacking your thread, thomasec!)

3. Juan Samus

Juan Samus New Member

There is lots of info here but I don't see any black label pressings with that matrix or a peelable banana...

http://members.aol.com/olandem5/odlpus.html

4. bob338

bob338 Forum Resident

the original pressing had blue labels, or yellow for promos. the only black label i've seen of this title is on the mid 80's reissues.

edit--i just checked my records and i have a late 70s reissue with black labels, but no peelable banana and no RE1 in the deadwax.

5. thomasec

thomasec Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah I saw that site, but I'm not seeing the same copy I saw in the store. Hmm...anyone else know what this might be? What else should I look for if I go back to the store?

6. Juan Samus

Juan Samus New Member

Maybe it's a composite - old cover w/ reissue record?

7. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

First black labels were in 1975. Assuming it's the record that came in the jacket, if the front cover has the words "The Velvet Underground and Nico" printed it's 1978 or later. Look carefully at the matrix numbers in the runout groove - they got sloppy on some of these 70s reissues and some actually used old mono stampers (no "6" in the catalogue number) on one side.

8. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

I believe that I bought my copy of the LP in Detroit in 1971. It has the black label and RE1 in the runout grooves. The cover has the non-peelable banana and "Andy Warhol" is the only text on the front cover.

Cheers,
    Chris

9. mfp

mfp Senior Member

True. I have one like that; sure is cheaper than finding an original mono.

10. PFA

PFA Forum Resident

I have a copy of The Velvet Underground and Nico that I got back in the 1970s. It has a black Verve label with the word Heroin mispelled as "Herion." The cover is the original cover. On the front the bananna has been peeled. The back cover features the original picture with the upside down dancer. His head and arms are in focus.

Not quite sure what to make of it.

Vernon Fitch
    Pink Floyd Archives

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.