Velvet Underground - Lost 4th album + Cale-era tracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MHP, Mar 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll Thread Starter

Don't know if we ever had a thread on this topic.

Wouldn't it be cool if Universal released some kind of document on the 1969 sessions?

If the album had happend then, I don't believe all 14 tracks would / should have made the cut though.

What we DO have is the following:

Foggy Notion May 6, 1969 6:56 (The vinyl has an intro which all cd's has chopped off)

Coney Island Steeplechase May 6, 1969 2:26

Andy's Chest May 13, 1969 2:50

I'm Sticking With You May 13, 1969 2:28

She's My Best Friend May 14, 1969 2:47

I Can't Stand It May 20, 1969 2:47

Ocean June 19, 1969 5:10

Ferryboat Bill June 19, 1969 2:11

Rock And Roll June 19, 1969 5:15

Ride Into The Sun September 5, 1969 3:24 (instrumental - an alternate 'Acetate' mix with vocals also exist)

One Of These Days September 23, 1969 3:59

I'm Gonna Move Right In September 27, 1969 6:29 (instrumental)

Real Good Time Together September 30, 1969 2:56

Lisa Says October 1, 1969 2:57

Which tracks should have made the cut, and which ones should have got the boot?

Also, if a compilation of the 1969 material ever should be released, what could be done with the 'loose' Cale-era tracks, found on VU & Another View?

Guess I'm Falling In Love (instrumental)
    Stephanie Says (2 official mixes exist)
    Temptation Inside Your Heart (2 official mixes exist)
    Hey Mr. Rain (version one)
    Hey Mr. Rain (version two)

linclink and Hep Alien like this.
  2. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

I'm okay with the way they've been released: cream of the unreleased tracks on V.U., lesser material on Another View. Those '69 tracks don't add up to a coherent album no matter how you arrange them or what you cut, IMO. There's some great songs there though.

stef1205 likes this.
  3. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

VU and Another View are great as is. I kinda like the 80's production of some of those songs, like "I Can't Stand It".

stef1205 likes this.
  4. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I just want the complete recording of 'Melody Laughter' put out officially. After all these long, LONG years, is that really too much to ask?

5. Jeff K

Jeff K Well-Known Member

VU was my introduction to the Velvets as far as albums go. I purchased that one first and then proceeded to go back and get the rest of the official albums as they were reissued in the mid-80's. I'm happy enough with both of them.

6. Jeff K

Jeff K Well-Known Member

Now that, I would definitely buy.

7. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

I'm not sure which songs should have made the cut, but my favorite song from this era of VU would have to be "Stephanie Says". I love that song. Cale's playing on it is beautiful.

linclink likes this.
  8. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Here's the order I've always played them on itunes.

Lisa Says 2:59
    We're Gonna Have a Real Good Time Together 2:57
    I'm Gonna Move Right In 6:32
    One Of These Days 4:03
    Ride into the Sun 3:26
    Rock and Roll 5:15
    Ferryboat Bill 2:15
    Ocean 5:12
    I Can't Stand It 3:24
    She's My Best Friend 2:49
    I'm Sticking With You 2:31
    Andy's Chest 2:52
    Coney Island Steeplechase 2:29
    Foggy Notion 6:50

linclink and Hep Alien like this.
  9. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I remember Dylan saying somewhere around the time when the Basement Sessions were officially released "I thought everybody had them already". I think the situation with "Melody Laughter" may be similar, in that anyone with a compelling desire to hear it already has.

10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Any chance of the 4th album turning up twenty fourteen ?

linclink likes this.
  11. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll Thread Starter

Let's hope so!

linclink likes this.
  12. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I think we'd likely see the third album first, no? Unless maybe they feature that later stuff on the s/t deluxe edition.

13. alexpop

Their fifth album which has been out for years as a double CD was loaded with even more hits. Their missing 4th (68/69)basically VU/Another View .. Perhaps even more expanded. It would be great if that ever materialised as a complete album.

Hep Alien and linclink like this.
  14. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Nothing gets released without the OK of the surviving original members. That means John and Mo. Without Lou's involvement, I don't know if we'll see any more deluxe editions at all.

15. alexpop

Cup half full. :)

linclink likes this.
  16. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Isn't VU the equivalent?

Evan

17. alexpop

No. Hence thread title. :)

linclink likes this.
  18. That material, along with the 3rd proper release, "The Velvet Underground", are my absolute faves...and I say that choosing faves among faves...they have a great & flawless catalog as far as I'm concerned!! When "VU" came out I was a huge fan & it blew my mind...arguably the 80's equivalent of what "The Basement Tapes" was to the 70's.

alexpop likes this.
  19. alexpop

image.jpg Never liked the artwork for either VU or Another View. Any idea what a good Art Design would suit the missing link aka 4th album ?

20. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

see the cover for the version in the 2012 Sundazed box set -- in fact, the designer is a member of this forum.

21. alexpop

image.jpg
    The other four albums have such enigmatic covers.. dunno about this one.

22. alexpop

Apart from White Light/White Heat named after one of the albums songs the VU did not have good album titles. Why was the 3rd album called The Velvet Underground ? Apeing The Beatles double which came out a few months earlier ? Candy Says would have been cooler. Loaded works ( as in with hits) New Age another song title would have made a great album title with futuristic bent and a better artistic curve. Regarding the 4th >Foggy Notion <would have worked much better than the uninspired VU. Anyway thoughts on a rainy day. image.jpg

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
    Hep Alien likes this.
  23. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

I Can't Stand It runs for 3:21 or 3:22.
    One of These Days runs for 4:02 on Peel Slowly and See due to a longer fade.
    I'm Sticking with You is 2:31 on Peel Slowly and See, with the final chord a bit louder.
    She's My Best Friend goes on for about 3:06 on the promo cassette of VU (who is that yelling at the end?)

By now of course your question about the loose Cale-era tracks has been answered by the release of the White Light/White Heat Deluxe Edition. I'd like to hear fresh remixes of the 1969 tracks (other than "Ocean" which was a vintage stereo mix) just like the ones we got for the Cale-era tracks that didn't have vintage mixes.

Hep Alien and MHP like this.
  24. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

You would have to include "I'm Not A Young Man Any More" as one of the Cale-era songs.

25. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Doug Yule, simulating the "falling down, falling down" outro refrain (ruins the song, in my opinion, sounds goofy),

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.