"Velvet Underground" super deluxe or "Complete Matrix Tapes"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by street legal, Dec 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. street legal

street legal Senior Member Thread Starter

I want to pick up either the 6CD super deluxe edition of "Velvet Underground" or the "Complete Matrix Tapes" 4CD set, but am torn on which one to choose . . .

On the one hand, I would like to have ALL of the Marrix recordings, but on the other hand, and VERY importantly, I REALLY want that "lost 1969" CD from the super deluxe set. The first 3 discs are unimportant to me as I already have the "Valentine" and "closet" mixes of the album. And if I do eventually pick up the "Complete Matrix Tapes" set, then discs 5 and 6 will obviously become redundant.

I do already have most of the "lost 1969" album tracks already, but I would REALLY like to have the original 1969 and 2014 remixes of those tracks.

I know the "Matrix Tapes" set is really the better value, and I would love to just get that, but I really want that "lost 1969" CD really bad.

Opinions?

2. Misterroper

Misterroper Forum Resident

3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

The '69 tracks are my favorite VU songs of all so that disc is a must-own in my book.

And while the live Matrix set is great you do still get a heapin' helpin' of it on the VU deluxe set, so.....I vote for VU deluxe.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. street legal

$$$

If I do get the super deluxe (for about $65) then decide to get the 4CD Matrix Tapes set down the line, I will have spent $65 for exactly one CD of non-redundant material. And I don't particularly think that is a very good deal . . .

5. Misterroper

Misterroper Forum Resident

Yeah, I understand. I was just being silly. Although I think you do have to factor in the nice packaging/book liner notes of both sets. It's a whole experience that both offer,

6. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

If you are just getting one, I vote Matrix. I couldn't be without the Matrix "New Age". I love the 1969 disc from the 45th, but it's not worth the price of the set alone and not worth missing out on Matrix material.

joelee, Culpa and DeeThomaz like this.
  7. street legal

That's kinda what I'm thinking, too.
    That I could have half of the Matrix recordings AND the "lost 1969" CD.

But I know myself. Once I hear 1/2 of the Mateix recordings, I'm gonna want them all!

8. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

If you already have most of the tracks on the deluxe (barring the radio station mono fold down, which I think is essential) I say go for the Matrix box. Best sounding versions of those tracks ever.

9. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

If you're a VU fan, I think in the long term you'll regret having to choose one or the other...

Hopefully either of these box sets will temporarily drop down to a reasonable price range for you, perhaps on Amazon (any country) or PopMarket, before they're OOP.
    Maybe you'll receive some gift cards from a generous relative or friend this holiday season.

10. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

i couldn't be happy without both, but if one has to make a choice i'd choose the matrix box. the sound quality is the best of any of the vu live stuff from then and the performances are very good. its essential in my book.

Chemguy and Culpa like this.
  11. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Hard choices.
    For me, the lost 1969 tracks have never ever been better presented than on the Super Deluxe.
    Matrix is great, though and the best VU live you can get.
    There is no easy choice, so I would buy both.

dlemaudit likes this.
  12. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

Matrix box price has gone down in price dramatically , the 45 th not so much
    I have both

13. Are most of the Matrix tracks also the Robert Quine Tapes?

14. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

What he said.

That is, if it's an either/or choice. The "Lost Album" disc is perhaps worth the price of admission, but not if it means never hearing the full contents of the Matrix box.

In a perfect world, the "Lost Album" would receive a stand-alone release. It certainly warrants it, particularly in its current configuration.

dlemaudit likes this.
  15. street legal

I think I am leaning towards picking up the "Complete Matrix Tapes" and just picking up the individual CD's of "V.U." and "Another View" to obtain all of the 1969 tracks that are not on the PSAS box set. It appears that there are 3 such tracks on "V.U." and another 6 tracks on "Another View".

Question: I have the 2CD Deluxe Edition of "White Light/White Heat" and all of the bonus tracks on Disc 1 that appeared on either "V.U." or "Another View" are marked as either being the "original mix" or a new remix, which leads me to believe that all of those tracks had an 80's mix type of sound to them (I know that the reverb on the drums in "I can't Stand It" from the PSAS box set sounds terrible - there is no way that it sounded like that when recorded/mixed back in 1969).

But . . . are there any tracks on the "VU" or "Another View" albums that do NOT have that 80's sound in the mix, and have a more natural, period-correct sound? Or do they all sound as unnatural as say, the 80's mix of "I Can't Stand It"?

16. street legal

I really wish I could just buy an individual CD of the 1969 Sessions.
    Then i could just get that and the "Complete Matrix Tapes" and be all set . . . . . :(

It would have been nice if the 2CD Deluxe Edition was the proper album on one disc and the 1969 Sessions on disc 2, rather than a small sampling of the Matrix tapes. I would gladly just buy that for $20, if it existed.

17. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

These VU / Another View tracks are 60s mixes: Ocean, Gonna Move Right In, Ferryboat Bill, Rock and Roll. The rest are 80s remixes and mostly sound like it.

I do find the "Stephanie Says" 80s mix far superior to the original, which has terrible off-key backing vocals.

18. street legal

Thank you very much! Exactly the info I needed. So it sounds like about 10 of the 14 tracks on the "1969 Sessions" are probably the preferred versions, if historically accurate sounding mixes are important to you (and it certainly is for me).

Hmmm, . . . Now I may be leaning the other way again! If only I could get that 1969 Sessions CD without having to buy the Super Deluxe edition of the 3rd album. :mad:

19. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Why do you think the fold down mono mix is essential? I find it pretty worthless to be honest.

20. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

You're welcome. On top of the tracks I mentioned being 60s mixes on VU / Another, the "1969 Sessions" disc also has 60s mixes of Foggy Notion, I'm Sticking with You, Andy's Chest and She's My Best Friend. The rest of the disc are 2014 mixes, which for the most part are far superior to the 80s mixes. I seem to remember not being real happy with the 2014 Ride Into the Sun and maybe Sticking with You, but it's been a long time since I compared.

That's a real tough decision. It's a shame what they pulled with the way they released these. They made 2 discs in the super box obsolete a year later (and it already had one obsolete disc from the beginning :D).

dlemaudit likes this.
  21. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Different sound sources; The Matrix set comes from four track masters; the Quine set his compilation reels.

zphage likes this.
  22. street legal

:agree:

If there were 2 or 3 non-redundant discs in the Super Deluxe set, I would just pull the trigger on it. But to pony up $65-$70 for ONE cd is a pretty tough pill to swallow, for me at least.

23. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I like the sound of it. Even more boxed in than the closet mix, but it sounds warmer to me. I can go no further because I don't have my gear listed. But it's all in the ears of the listener and we all have different ears.

24. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Different sources and just to be clear to highlight the differences, as I understand it Quine’s was a fan audience recording to cassette, later a compilation of best cuts transferred from cassette to reels. The Matrix box comes from the 4 track master tapes (one song is from a dub tape) recorded by the club owners on pretty much pro equipment for the day, then very nicely mixed for the box.

To the OP that is a tough call, I adore the Lost '69 cuts on the DE, no question the DE is now my go to source for them; but then the Matrix box is the best they have ever sounded live. I guess if you did not have maybe Peel Slowly to tide you over with some Lost '69 cuts while getting the Matrix box first, I might go DE then Matrix; but let's face it you are getting both eventually, it is just about the order.

25. street legal

Well, I just bought a brand new copy of the "Velvet Underground" Super Deluxe set off of EBay for $36 shipped.
    Pretty good deal, I think!

I'm sure I will probably want the Complete Matrix Tapes set eventually, but this has about half of it, and I will now have that CD of the 1969 Sessions that I wanted so much . . . yaaaay!!!

Summerisle, DeeThomaz and ralphb like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.