Venom (October 5, 2018)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 5th-beatle, Feb 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I like all Marvel and that includes Blade Trinity and Howard the Duck. I find them just so entertaining in ways that Warner Brothers should have got right with a darker tone post Nolan DC Universe.

2. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Rewatched that recently and it held up as awful. It had potential but the editing or something was off and made it extremely boring. I'm actually not sure that 2015 FF movie is worse but I don't want to rewatch it either.

Manimal likes this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Flop?

4. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

No, it won't fall off the cliff like The Predator however I predict it will be the lowest grossing Marvel movie of 2018.

5. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

The review I read said it's a rights thing. Sony can't currently use Spider-Man.

6. alexpop

The Predator a Marvel movie ? ;)

7. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Actually they can; Spider man solo films are theirs while ensemble films are Marvel’s.

They’ve been trying to kickstart their own universe for a while and this is their attempt at one where they can keep the pie to themselves. They still have the film rights to Spider-Man technically speaking, and that includes all Spider-Man characters and properties.

Michael Rose and BeatleJWOL like this.
  8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

no but recent example of a bomb :D

9. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is an animated theatrical film being released by Sony in December. It looks like a lot of fun! I’m more interested in this than I am the MCU’s take on Spider-Man.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  10. Well....IF there are 30-40 minutes that improve the film, well, I do hope it is successful only so we can possibly see it restored. I haven't seen this but it would be hard to beat the "Unfantastic Four" or "Howard The Duck".

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

$200 million + worldwide for the weekend - the world of cinema will be blessed with more Venom movies

Ghostworld likes this.
  12. alexpop

Pity. No chance of Tom Hardy getting to play James Bond now.

13. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

that's suprising. Given the negative fan and critic reviews most people were expecting this to bomb and maybe even beaten by ASIB, but it did double that in the US.

i guess that the great films like Black Panther and Infinity War mean people are more open to see any superhero film now, even the bad ones.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  14. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Well, it's been treated harshly by the the critics but not the fans. The audience score on Rotten Tomatoes is 89%, and audiences polled by Cinemascore gave it a B+. So the movie is doing okay. Good for Tom Hardy and Sony.

Being that Sony still owns the Spider-man characters, I hope they take Miles Morales, Venom, Carnage and other non-Peter Parker Spider-man related characters and run with them.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  15. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Why can't he do both?

16. helter

helter Forum Resident

I really enjoyed this film.........much better than the normal superhero films being released

DHamilton and Ghostworld like this.
  17. alexpop

Marvel contract stipulation.

18. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

Saw it a few days ago. Good film. Tom Hardy is awesome as usual. Not as bad as what the critics say IMHO. :righton:

DHamilton likes this.
  19. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I wouldn't mind if the films are good, as I'm a big fan of the 'Spiderverse', but I have to be honest and say I'm not holding out much hope they can pull it off.

20. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

What have Marvel got to do with it? It's Sony.

21. alexpop

James Bond producers wouldn't want him now regardless. As the actor no doubt is tied to the Venom franchise for the next few years, unless it's a one off with options on the actors part.

22. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Are you basing this on anything but ill-informed opinion? First you say it's his Marvel contract, when he hasn't got a Marvel contract, now you are saying the producers won't want him if he's making other films? Daniel Craig has made about 10 films in between his Bond's, including potential new franchises.

If you don't have a clue it's best not to say anything rather than factually incorrect things.

FWIW I don't think Hardy would make a good Bond.

23. alexpop

Opinion ?
    Logic. Could be wrong, usually right.
    FWIW"? Well your sorted then.

24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

You'd need a decoder ring to sort that reply!

25. alexpop

Ha! Not following the thread I see. I would agree. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.