Venom (October 5, 2018)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 5th-beatle, Feb 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think Venom outperformed all expectations and managed to make a whopping $80 million domestic over the weekend ($205 million worldwide):

How ‘Venom’ & ‘A Star Is Born’ Woke October Up With A Record $175M+ Weekend

Given that the movie only cost about $115M to make, I'd say they're well on their way to making money. I'll be curious to see the home video version if they restore the 30 minutes they cut out prior to release.

2. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I would say that. They tend to spend around $100m on advertising for these things so you can't base the calculation merely on the production budget.

So overall if they spent $215m on this then they would need to take $450m at the box office to just break even. $200 is a good start but if it falls of a cliff next week (which most people are predicting) then it could struggle to break even.

3. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

Not even Michelle Williams can get me to watch this.

Ghostworld likes this.
  4. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident Thread Starter

Are there any extra scenes either during credits or afterwards?

5. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

If you type into google 'Venom Post Credit Scenes' I think your query will be answered.

6. 5th-beatle

Thanks, but I might accidentally read about them and spoil the surprise.
    I was just wondering whether I need to remain in the theatre, as I would rather not wait in vain if there are no extra scenes.

7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I had enough tough-guy squints from Daniel Craig to last a lifetime. Tom Hardy is a cutie pie -- sort of the Alpha Male equivalent of cheesecake, but grunting only takes you so far. Let's go back to an ageing, softie Bond like Roger Moore for kicks -- Like Alec Baldwin on a bad day.

alexpop likes this.
  8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

There's been endless speculation here as who should take over from Craig. A softie Bond you say ? The only one that fits that description is Henry Cavill.

9. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

There is a mid-credits scene and a post-credits scene.

5th-beatle likes this.
  10. 5th-beatle

Thanks! That's all I wanted to know.

The Hud likes this.
  11. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

saw it the story is kinda messy and has some issues but the relationship between venom and eddie is a lot of fun and carries the picture along with some solid action. a enjoyable picture if not a great one.

The Hud and DHamilton like this.
  12. The Hud

I thought it was great!

Definitely stay for the post credits scenes!

DHamilton likes this.
  13. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

So I hear it's currently the #1 movie in the world. Unbelievable. A movie that Hardy himself was backpedaling on prior to release, saying his favorite parts were edited out. No one saw any previews, usually a kiss of death and yet, here we are. Hardy's been in plenty of blockbusters, but has he ever been the star of a #1? And for it to be this dreck, says something about the viewing audience!;)

14. DigitalBlues

DigitalBlues Forum Resident

Debating whether or not to see this. My son is not interested, and he loves all the other Marvel movies.

15. The Hud

Why isn't he interested?

16. DigitalBlues

DigitalBlues Forum Resident

He said some of his friends didn't like it. That doesn't mean I won't though!

17. The Hud

I really liked it. I say go for it!

18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

That's my complaint with world.

19. 5th-beatle

Just watched this film and liked it. I find it interesting that there's a reference to a DC character in Sony movie about a Marvel character.

I know Deadpool made jokes about the DC universe in his film, but this time it wasn't done in a "breaking the fourth wall" way. It was casually mentioned just like we do in real life, so perhaps it's a subtle way of saying that DC superheroes are acknowledged as comic book characters in the Marvel universe?

The mid-credits scene interested me more than the long post-credits sequence.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    The Hud likes this.
  20. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I really liked it.

Loved the motorcycle chase scene.

The Hud likes this.
  21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Estimated worldwide tally after Sunday is $378 million, they are going to make some bank on this before it's all over then you have the Blu-Ray, PPV's etc....

Vidiot likes this.
  22. Had fun watching it but horrible writing direction and direction. Good actors acting badly.

Lots of plot holes like somethings were left out. And they walk right into the faculty with no security cameras?

Wanted to see it becase I’m from San Francisco where much if it was filmed. Sone of the chases probably switched to Oakland or elsewhere though.

Cool concept but bad movie.

23. The Hud

A facility not having security cameras is totally plausible. A alien creature like Venom, while not impossible, is not plausible.

Arguments like these are very common, but I don't understand them.

24. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Wow, thought this was awful. I'm really tired of origin stories, and even as they go this one made no sense. The humor between Venom and the dude wasn't happening either. Didn't care about the characters - the evil billionaire was so cookie cutter it was painful. The love interest didn't work....... just bad, imo.

Mazzy likes this.
  25. AceFrehleyJr

AceFrehleyJr Doesn't Believe The Hype

Just saw it...its OK I guess. Hardy was pretty good though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.