Venom (October 5, 2018)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 5th-beatle, Feb 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I love Hardy but the direction and choice he made here was that the character was sort of an idiot and not very smart. Hard to believe he was an investigative reporter if that were the case.

Wrong American accent for the part.

Ghostworld likes this.
  2. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Surprisingly that appears to be the case. I think this film making a profit is one of the most unexpected events at the box office all year, given how awful it appears to be and the reviews, and how bad all the trailers looked.

I read years ago that the biggest demographic for cinemas in the US was teenage boys, so anything aimed at them tended to do well. Before they grow up they like heavy metal music and dumb action movies. So it seems this is ideal for them.

3. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

What kind of music does Jim B., the intellectual, listen to?

Manimal and DHamilton like this.
  4. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I could answer you as to why teenage boys are drawn towards loud rock music and the reason why but I expect you would just come back with another sarcastic reply.

5. The Hud

Why?

6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

The mid-credits scene is worth sticking around if you are looking for something that relates to the movie you just saw. The end-credits scene is really just an extended trailer for the coming animated Spider Man movie, and not worth sitting through the interminable credits for. Especially since a trailer for that film is shown before the movie, so its no surprise at all.

Vidiot and 5th-beatle like this.
  7. The Hud

The trailer I saw was different than the post credits scene for the animated Spiderman. I much preferred the post credits scene. I can't wait to see the movie!

8. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

As long as Avi Arad will remain as producer of the Sony Marvel films, we're always going to get sub-par results. That is the main problem here. He's responsible for most of the worst Marvel films. Don't let you fool by the fact that he's listed as producer for Iron Man, Kevin Feige was the one in charge for that one.

Chrome_Head and Ghostworld like this.
  9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I read somewhere that Hardy is signed on for two more of these.

10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Just saw it. Not stunning but Tom Hardy and Michele Williams make it worth watching. Tom Hardy is pretty amusing doing an bumbling schlub (but as Mazzy said, he's an investigative journalist?). His performance is so hyped, it reminded me of the kind of showy over-the-top performances Dusty Hoffman would give his slightly weird characters. But Hardy works really hard at it and doesn't break, so he does become kinda loveable. The plot is standard junk, but Hardy keeps you watching.

wayneklein likes this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Just watched the home video and I enjoyed it a lot. Beautiful cinematography from Matthew Libatique (and color by Stefan Sonnenfeld, arguably the most successful colorist in the world). The plot has a few silly issues here and there, but it's a terrific roller-coaster ride. I understand why it made over $850 million -- it's got a lot of action, some genuine surprises, some snappy one-liners, and some amazing effects. I laughed quite a bit and had a pretty good time. Some of the outtakes on the home video release are very funny.

Oh, it didn't bother me that much. I've known some pretty good journalists who weren't necessarily geniuses, but they overcame that through very hard work and knowing how to write well.

I was astonished to find out that Tom Hardy also did the voice of Venom (in addition to the fake American accent as Eddie Brock). Venom has most of the funniest lines in the film.

kouzie likes this.
  12. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I've loved the character since I was 8 and he debuted in the pages of Spider-Man. That was a huge deal at the time (helped by the eye-popping artwork of co-creator Todd McFarlane). In the time since, Marvel ran him into the ground and made a joke out of him with increasing overexposure. I had no hopes for this film, saw it at a cheap theatre soon after release (and have since rented the blu-ray so my girlfriend could see it). Could have been better (I believe Marvel Studios would've made a much better flick) but it's probably about as good as it could be. Hardy was passable and I liked Michelle Williams and I'd be interested to see what Harrelson does with Kletus Cassidy / Carnage. I thought some of the effects looked shockingly cheap and dated in places. Hope they sink some more money into the sequel's budget.

13. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Watched it the other night., Thumbs down. Way too dumb and not much fun (like a Transformers flick). Once the editor decided Brock was the reporter to do a puff piece I knew it was gonna be a real groaner.

"Hi , I'm Venom. The other space blob likes to be called Riot. I'm hungry. "

14. I was willing to overlook that (since journalism doesn’t quite operate like that) because the whole Deadpool styled vibe appealed to me.

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I LOVED VENOM...also a fan of Hardy...I'm hoping for a few more!

Kiko1974 and The Hud like this.
  16. Michael

what happened to Michelle Williams? She looked terrible.

17. The Hud

Wasn't she dating Heath Ledger when he died?

Michael likes this.
  18. Michael

yes, they have a baby girl together...

The Hud likes this.
  19. Chrome_Head

Terrible, really? She looked great in Venom IMO. She even seemed game for the role.

Michael likes this.
  20. Michael

she seems to look like she had plastic surgery?

21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

They weren't together at the time. They had split up about a year before his death. They do have a daughter together as noted.

The Hud likes this.
  22. James1972

James1972 Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed the first movie. Hope they make a second in the near future. Better than I thought it was going to be.

23. Chrome_Head

They've apparently marked out 2 October 2020 for the sequel, so you'll be getting it sooner than you think. But it would seemingly have to start production soon to make that release date.

Venom 2 (2020) - IMDb

Michael likes this.
  24. Count me in, I love both hardy and the character, I have a soft spot for looser-like characters. I got a Venom T-Shirt with his face with his mouth wide open showing his teeth, I love it.

Sammy Banderas and Michael like this.
  25. Michael

that's cool!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.