Venus & Mars Deluxe McCartney Archive

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Arnold Grove, Jun 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member Thread Starter

We've been having a lot of speculation on the eventual Red Rose Speedway Deluxe Archive Collection in another thread. BUT that one won't be out until late 2013, if not later. Next up are Venus & Mars, Speed Of Sound, and Wings Over America---although no one knows the exact order of those, or if 2 or 3 will be released simultaneously, possibly by late 2012. In any event, let's discuss the Venus & Mars Deluxe edition. What should the bonus stuff be on any CD or DVD?

Some possibilities for the bonus CD:
    ---Junior's Farm
    ---Sally G
    ---Lunch Box/Odd Sox
    ---My Carnival (BUT how many versions of this one though??)

Do you think the other Nashville tracks from 1974 will appear here --- Bridge Over The River Suite and Walking In The Park With Eloise?

Arnie

2. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

There are a lot of possibilities...

Junior's Farm
    Sally G
    Walking In The Park With Eloise
    Bridge On The River Suite
    Wide Prairie (long version)
    Hey Diddle (with Nashville overdubs)
    Send Me The Heart
    Proud Mum
    Tomorrow (instrumental) (this could go on Wild Life instead)
    Lunch Box/Odd Sox
    My Carnival
    My Carnival (party mix)
    Mardi Gras In New Orleans
    Reverse
    Letting Go (single mix)
    Listen To What The Man Said (single edit)
    Venus & Mars/Rock Show (single edit)

Maybe some One Hand Clapping stuff (One Hand Clapping, Let's Love, Baby Face).

The Backyard film could be on the DVD.

3. Arnold Grove

Thanks. What is "Reverse" by the way? That's the only item I don't recall? Arnie

4. Solaris Morse

Solaris Morse Forum Resident

Alongside 'Love In Song', 'Letting Go' & 'Medicine Jar', an unused version of 'Rock Show' was recorded at Abbey Road studios in November 1974. I'm not sure if it was ever completed but if was then that would certainly make for an interesting bonus track.

Any rehearsals and live recordings of V&M tracks for the UK / Australian 1975 tours might also be considered since they are from the same year as the V&M album release.

5. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

It's a pretty forgettable instrumental which may have been recorded at the same time as "Rudolph The Red Nosed Reggae" (which should have been on my list above).

6. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

I absolutely love "Lunch Box/Odd Sox" but have never been a fan of "My Carnival." Either way, I look forward to the DE of "Venus and Mars" which is, IMHO, an excellent Wings album.

7. Arnold Grove

RE: Send Me The Heart

This is one of those Denny Laine-written songs, along with I Would Only Smile and Weep For Love, that Wings recorded and then Denny later released the Wings' versions on his Japanese Tears album in the 1980s. Do you think Paul will reissue Send Me The Heart (which was cowritten by Denny and Paul) and the others? Do you think Paul would rather not even deal with Denny, and thus not release these tunes as bonus tracks? Any thoughts? Arnie

8. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I would gladly forgo every bonus track that would come with the archive version of this album if they would just remix and uncompress it.

9. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I doubt Laine's stuff will get released. I am not a fan of Paul's country stuff..and Send Me the Heart is kind of a stinker as well. I Would Only Smile and Weep For Love are decent if forgetable songs.

10. rewind1964

rewind1964 Forum Resident

*Remastered album
    *Some of the bonus tracks mentioned above:
    Junior's Farm
    Sally G
    Walking In The Park With Eloise
    Bridge On The River Suite
    Wide Prairie (long version)
    Hey Diddle (with Nashville overdubs)
    Send Me The Heart
    Proud Mum
    Lunch Box/Odd Sox
    My Carnival
    My Carnival (party mix)
    Mardi Gras In New Orleans
    Reverse
    Letting Go (single mix)
    *The uncompressed version of the album
    *The Quad mix (for the sake of the folks who didn't pick up the DTS version in the late '90s)
    *Obligatory bonus DVD

IMHO, this would make a great set - if this were to happen.

11. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

Otherwise known as "Empty Hand" which made up part of the soundtrack for this film: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0260880/

12. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I don't know if I could handle a longer version of that awful song.

I know Paul loved Linda very much, and he obviously got over it, but I wonder if he was ever very depressed at one point knowing that his partner had such a terrible singing voice.

13. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Was it ever documented what recordings were made in New Orleans? I know that lots of local luminaries (Toussaint, Prof. Longhair, the Meters) were in on the sessions, but not sure where that wound up, aside from Toussaint playing piano on Rock Show (and probably arranged the horns on "Letting Go," but no credit). Anyone know what was actually recorded there?

14. DeYoung

DeYoung Forum Resident

There's a "grey market" CD of the Quad mix I've been thinking about picking up. What's different about it? Is it worth getting?

15. foxylady

foxylady Forum Resident

I really like the long instrumental second part of Wide Prairie, great sax.

16. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

Yes, it's that long instrumental ending that clinches it for me. That's what I'd like to see released.

17. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

Crossroads theme music was recorded around the time of Venus and Mars if my memory serves me correctly. Crossroads was a British soap series made by ATV and the theme tune was written by Tony Hatch.

It would be worth including.

18. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Oops, see post #20 below

19. kap'n krunch

kap'n krunch Forum Resident

Yes, the Quad mix , but THE REAL ONE, not the travesty that was released , with a different song order on the DTS cd...

20. jricc

jricc Senior Member

I think Paul would rather not deal with Denny anymore. I saw a pic of them together from not that long ago and PAul looked a bit uncomfortable. In addition, I think Paul would rather have his own songs on these "definitive" (my word) versions. But who knows? All I do know is that I am looking forward to this reissue.

21. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Already on the album!

22. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I would like to see how much better the album could sound with a uncompressed mix. The current sonics are a bit lacking. Didn't DCC try to get the uncompressed mix but were denied?

23. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

Duh senior moment

24. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

Considering how limited the bonus discs have been, I seriously doubt they would include any single edits or mixes. They're still available on Wingpsan anyway, for those who need them.

On the other hand, I really do hope they include any unreleased Denny Laine tracks. I've always felt they bring more variety into the mix, while still being relevant. If Paul wants to focus entirely on himself for this series, maybe Denny can put out his own compilation.

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

All those years ago, Macca tried to convince us that Wings was a "real band". I would hope that idea remains in play, as any "V&M" release in 2012 should represent Wings circa 1975...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.