"Venus & Mars" Deluxe McCartney Archive (Part six)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Nov 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

How much are the codes selling for? I'm sure many are not using them <probably throwing them away, too> and some folks that bought the deluxe box would like those 7" singles. I still haven't decided if I will buy them or not. :shrug:

2. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

This seems like an appropriate place for me to report what I saw when I casually opened the tracking info on my Venus & Mars last night:

Package delayed
    SHIP CARRIER: i-parcel
    LATEST EVENT: A carrier delay has occurred - November 9, 2014 10:44:00 AM

Unbelievably, another package (a Belle & Sebastian record) which shipped separately but at a similar time, has apparently gone missing between New Jersey & Sydney... Not a good week for my postalistic things...

theMess likes this.
  3. winojunko76

winojunko76 Forum Resident

People are selling the codes??

4. djej

djej Forum Resident

5. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Thanks for pointing this out; it is subtle, but there is definitely a similarity. I am surprised that I never noticed it before, because I am also a fan of Fiona.

I don't imagine that she took it from San Ferry Anne, at least not intentionally, but it is interesting that there is a similar part.

6. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

7. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Or even the yellow and red balls in the lettering! ;)

supermd likes this.
  8. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I don't know, but I'm sure there's a lot of them not getting used as there are fewer turntables out there anymore. Like I said, there are probably people that got the deluxe boxes that would also like the 7" to put inside the box without having to buy the 2 cd set from Best Buy. :shrug:

I know that I put my record store day 7" of "Another Day" in my Ram box. :agree:

9. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Okay, so I read a lot of extreme and subtle opinions about the new 'Venus And Mars' remaster. Some regard it "day and night" to any previous CD, others prefer old versions, and so on. So I think it would be useful to do an extensive test, for anyone who cares. Especially for people who aren't sold on the new remaster yet, or those who bought it and would like to know how it holds up to the many others versions of this album and this track in particular.

I had a whole write-up on statistics, but I think it's a much better idea to just start with actually listening. I took a 45 second sample of one of the songs where for me the most noticeable 'pumping' compression was going on, 'Call Me Back Again'. It's a blind test for those who want to do that, but you can easily open the text file in the zip to see what you are listening to. All files are normalized for a representative listen/test. I'm curious about what you guys think. This are the sources taken in consideration:

1975 UK vinyl needledrop (Capitol EMI PCTC 254)
    Original 1987 CD (Capitol CDP 7 46984 2)
    1993 CD remaster (Parlophone CDPMCOL 6)
    1994 DCC CD (GZS-1067)
    2001 Wingspan CD remaster (Parlophone 532 8762)
    2014 'Archive Release' CD remaster (HRM-35653-01)

Here's a link to 45 second samples of these 6 sources: https://mega.co.nz/#!VxJUhKLI!jlTUh49ibszam2a4ElcATXyUzJupfbsxRiQKswoVADQ

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  10. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Hey!

11. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Wow, they all have their issues, which shows how bad the sound of this album was! For me, I preferred the last three clips to the first three clips. The Wingspan version whilst clearer was just too thin and bright sounding. Amazingly, the vinyl needledrop was close to the best. There wasn't much in it between that, the 2014 version and the DCC (the latter just shading it IMO). For me, the DCC has the best balance of clarity, bass and treble for me. But only just!

12. Frank

Frank Senior Member

For me it was a shootout between 5 and 6 (no spoilers here) until 0:38 when 6 just smoked it.

"BOOOM," said 6.

graystoke likes this.
  13. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

14. Witney Devil

Witney Devil Well-Known Member

Whatever was the cheapest option thats what I selected.

15. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Have a look at my post from last night, shortly after the message you just replied to, to see how you can claim any UPS fees back from Amazon.

16. Witney Devil

Witney Devil Well-Known Member

They've just delivered - £28.77

I'll have a go with Amazon re the extra delivery charge as the decision to send this was was theirs and not what I contracted for. Many thanks.

OobuJoobu likes this.
  17. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

is anyone still waiting for their books from spincds? Mine were shipped last Tuesday and I've still not received them

18. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Good luck to you. That was the complete opposite response I got from Parcelforce, which was simply: "we are allowed to levy a reasonable charge for collecting the charge on behalf of HMRC".

19. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

they should have tried to make a 3 sided album instead and put those songs on tbe third side and then dropped it. I think several of McCartney's albums would have been vastly improved by such an approach!!! still... while Spirits of Ancient Egypt is silly... it does actually have some movement to it which isn't exactly unwelcome on that album after two takes of Venus & Mars and the lack of a cohesive running order of songs. It's a silly attempt to be atmospheric and add some sort of r&b vibe to the proceedings. I mean.... Denny Laine's vocal is excellent as usual. coming so soon after Letting Go in the running order the value of that speaks for itself. It's hard to criticize Medicine Jar and Spirits after really living through side one of the album considering the improved versions of some of those songs on Wings Over America. I can't imagine adding Sally G into side two would have improved matters at all. Junior's Farm was a proven seller.. but wasn't up to the heights either and doesn't make a LOT more sense lyrically!!!

20. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

I would email them, I've had some problems with Spin, it almost looks like they forgot to post mine. Still waiting for the " New" book cd/DVD sent two emails replied to both saying posted that day , last reply was Monday still not here.
    Unlikely to use Spin again. The daft thing is their office is only a mile from my home!

21. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Did your package arrive from Spin yet?

22. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Mine was dispatched Thursday and arrived at 5.20 pm yesterday (Tuesday).

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  23. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

I got the V&M CD in the mail this past Monday from Amazon, and got to listen to Disc 1 this morning on my drive into work. What I never realized before how good a driving album that is! Apart from that, I love the sound quality (I don't have the DCC, only this and an original vinyl) and some of the music has little things I never heard before! "Listen To What The Man Said", to me, just has such a great and infectious beat to it on this version.

One cool note: I stopped at McDonald's on the way in to get a yogurt parfait and coffee, and the guy working the drive thru looked fairly intimidating (gauges in ears, nose ring - it made him look rather pretty!, etc.) When I was at the window to get my stuff, "Listen To What The Man Said" was on, and he said, "Oh, cool! You're listening to Wings! Dude, I love them!" and went on to remark how he likes the Band On The Run album best. Yet another cool memory filed away when related to good music.

24. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

The Speed Of Sound reissue makes me miss Joe English even more!!! That guy really gelled well with Paul. Especially on the tour that followed this album, but even on the album itself. Those who came later never quite sync with Paul quite the same. Abe seems to try to overdo everything. Chris Whitten seemed to be too mechanical. Steve Holley tried and came close but was too "tight" sounding and not loose enough. For me, Wings in '76 was the pinnacle of Paul's "solo" career.

25. ascot

ascot Senior Member

My copies of Venus and Mars and Speed of Sound arrived yesterday but I didn't have time to check them out. I did notice my copy numbers though. Venus and Mars #20789. Speed of Sound #00390. :laugh:

Claudio Dirani likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.