'Veronica Mars' may get a fourth season!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 93curr, Aug 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 93curr

93curr Senior Member Thread Starter

‘Veronica Mars’ Revival Series in the Works at Hulu

Sources tell Variety that a revival of the series is currently in the works at Hulu with original series star Kristen Bell poised to return as the titular detective and original series creator Rob Thomas serving as writer. Warner Bros. Television, which produced the original series, would be the studio. Sources caution, however, that the deal for the series is not yet final. It is also unknown if any other original series stars besides Bell would return or what the plot of the series would be.

Among the matters complicating the deal is that Bell currently stars in the hit NBC comedy “The Good Place.” Should the “Veronica Mars” project move forward, it would need to shoot around her schedule for the latter show, meaning it would likely be a limited series consisting of eight to ten episodes.

:goodie:

Tokyo Ghost and Deesky like this.
  2. woody

woody Forum Resident

This would be great, sure miss VM! I have been loving watching iZombie with lots of VM alum and, previously, Party Down , too. I was not a huge fan of the movie but they can't all be home runs.

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Great news! I've always loved VM and coincidentally, just a couple of weeks ago I binged the whole series.

Yeah, agreed. It seemed to be all over the place, lacking focus and even the snappy, quippy dialog, which was really noticeable having previously binge watched the original series. But I'm still really looking forward to the new show. Wonder how they will set it up - VM for local sheriff?

4. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

The Rob Thomas show I would like to see revived even more is Cupid with Jeremy Piven and Paula Marshall. Great show. The reboot didn't work with the recasting.

Lonson likes this.
  5. Tokyo Ghost

Tokyo Ghost Senior Member

Awesome! I love this show.

I hope Weevil will return.

6. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

This is marvellous news. Would love another series. Great cast to revisit.

MikaelaArsenault and Tokyo Ghost like this.
  7. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I was a huge fan of Veronica Mars during the first two seasons (and I was the same age as the cast--Veronica and crew were Class of 2006 and so was I) but the third season was all over the place in terms of quality. The film was, again, hit-or-miss in terms of quality. I'm very glad it exists because it provided closure for some plot lines (notably, Veronica and Logan's relationship) but it was definitely flawed.

So, I'm interested...but with trepidation. And I'll only watch if it features most of the supporting cast--i.e. Wallace, Mac, Keith, and *especially* Logan. Just Veronica in a rebooted format (like the awful "Veronica joins the FBI" pitch they made for a possible fourth season back in the day) does not interest me in the slightest.

8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Me neither. However, in the movie they had V shunning her FBI job in favor of sticking around her home town, so I think it would be more natural if they picked up where the movie left off, which is why I previously mentioned her running for sheriff's office, following in the footsteps of her old man...

9. Parachute Woman

They released a couple of novels after the movie came out which were 'canon' at the time. Not sure if they will remain so. Rob Thomas was credited on them along with another writer (who may have done the actual writing). I read the first one (The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line) but not the second (Mr. Kiss and Tell). In those novels, Veronica is working as a PI in Neptune. Logan is still in the Navy.

The PI angle does allow for the "mystery of the week" format, but if they are going for the limited series/mini-series option, I think they should try for one over-arching mystery. Veronica as the sheriff would be a great twist. It would be strange to see Neptune with a competent sheriff and it would put Veronica in the position of being working within the system rather than outside of it. Terrible things do keep happening in that town!

MikaelaArsenault and Deesky like this.
  10. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Is Coliontoni in? Heart of the cast, IMO.
    [SHALLOW] Kirsten Bell always struck me as the cutest little intrepid fish-out-of-water...until her mouth opens for that wide smile...then, she just looked like an "actress". Anybody else get that? [/SHALLOW]

11. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

A pass. for me out grew that show..

daca and Lonson like this.
  12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Nope, she's great all around. I'm guessing that she probably wore braces for too long which can have the effect of flattening out the curve of the front teeth line, but who cares. I'd watch her in anything.

Her VM character was pretty close to her real life persona - smart, bubbly, quippy, playful, charming. This came through when she did a stint on the Craig Ferguson show some time back.

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Yeah I've seen a bit of that. Still, when she flashes the big brights, I can't help it...something about it just loses me. :shrug: Feels "off". Now that I've brought it up, I won't mention it again.

14. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Gorgeous but believable because that's what they look like in Southern California.

15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Looks like a new series is a go! It will drop in 2019 with (only) 8 eps (darn it, too few!).

Rob Thomas will write and produce. He was quoted: "the new season of Veronica Mars would differ from the 2014 movie. I will say this: the movie was nostalgic. The Hulu limited series isn’t going to be. Hardcore So-Cal noir. One big case. Eight episodes to tell the story. This is a detective show”.

Sounds good to me. Some details about the plot were also released:

The season will center around a serial killer who’s targeting spring breakers in Neptune and threatening the town’s crucial tourism industry. After the parents of one of the victims hires Mars Investigations to find their son’s killer, Veronica is drawn into a mystery that pits the enclave’s wealthy elites, who would rather put an end to the month-long bacchanalia, against a working class that relies on the cash influx that comes with being the West Coast’s answer to Daytona Beach.

Seems like a return to it's roots, which is great. I only wish there were more eps than just eight. Oh well, some VM is better than none!

Hulu Details New Season of ‘Veronica Mars’ – Rolling Stone

hvbias, bluemooze, Solaris and 4 others like this.
  16. Tokyo Ghost

Tokyo Ghost Senior Member

Amazing news! Can't wait!

17. Parachute Woman

Well, I'm definitely in! I like every word of this press release, though I am still waiting on confirmation of the supporting cast returning. They MUST. It was not just a show about Veronica, but a truly great ensemble.

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Latest new is that Logan is onboard, as is Weevil and Wallace. No word on Dick yet.

Veronica Mars revival: yes, Logan will be in it

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  19. Parachute Woman

Phew! Logan is absolutely essential to Veronica Mars. Logan/Veronica is still one of my all-time favorite television romances. Brilliant writing and chemistry. Jason Dohring is fantastic in this role and the writing for Logan was always razor sharp--both poignant and extremely witty.

I'm very happy about Weevil and Wallace as well. I assume Keith has been a-go since the beginning, so fingers crossed for Mac and Dick. That would be the "A" Team for me, with other residents of Neptune (such as Vinnie Van Lowe) being on the B or C Team, i.e. cool to see but not essential.

Tokyo Ghost and Deesky like this.
  20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I think Keith would be at the top of the MVP costars and I hope you're right, but...I haven't actually heard anything officially that he will be returning (so far). I'd like to see Dick, Vinnie and Cliff, but I don't think I'd miss Mac too much (she didn't do very much in the movie). Maybe have Piz turn up for some Logan, Veronica triangulation...

But the thing is, the season will only feature 8 eps, so having a huge cast of regulars appear may not be feasible, outside of token appearances.

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  21. 93curr

93curr Senior Member Thread Starter

DeeThomaz and Tokyo Ghost like this.
  22. Parachute Woman

23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Kristen Bell did the audiobook for the Tan Line book.

24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Some news just in:

J.K. Simmons has joined what is technically the fourth season of the show. He'll be playing Clyde Prickett, an ex-con who served 10 years for racketeering, and was smart enough to be the first guy in Chino to offer protection to Neptune’s richest real estate developer, Big Dick Casablancas, on Big Dick’s first day in prison. Now a free man, Clyde works as Big Dick’s fixer. He’s the smarter and more dangerous of the pair, and he has a network of fellow ex-cons he can count on to keep his own hands clean.

Veronica Mars season 4: J.K. Simmons joins the cast

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  25. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Latest news is that Veronica Mars season 4 will air on 26th July - yay!

Rob Thomas was quoted saying that even though these actors were preparing to appear in the first episode - Kristen Bell, Jason Dohring, Enrico Colantoni, Percy Daggs III, Daran Norris and David Starzyk, along with new cast members Dawnn Lewis, Izabela Vidovic, Clifton Collins Jr. and Patton Oswalt - there was still time for other Veronica Mars faves to emerge later.

Veronica Mars season 4 trailer, release date and more

wolfram and Tokyo Ghost like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.