Vic Damone, RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Sad news. He was such a classic guy. I remember when he was on The Dick Van Dyke Show. RIP.

3. dualstacker

dualstacker Forum Resident

The album "Linger Awhile" on Capitol one of the best swinging vocal albums of all time IMHO. His Columbia albums were fantastic also. What a beautiful voice.

4. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

RIP Vic Damone (1928-2018)!
    He turned down the role in "The Godfather" as the Sinatra-esque Johnny Fontane (a fictional character).
    Al Martino (1927-2009) took the role.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

One of the best of the crooners ever, IMO and will be missed.

6. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

I have loads of his albums - I cannot recommend enough Strange Enchantment and The Lively Ones

melstapler, MikaelaArsenault and adad like this.
  7. jamiesjamies

jamiesjamies Forum Resident

8. Listening to Strange Enchantment now.

RIP Vic Damone.

bozburn likes this.
  9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

He must have been one of the last surviving crooners from the classic era.

RIP

10. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

He was a great singer and a wonderful man. I spoke with son once back in my banking days. He was a overseer for his fathers publishing and business.

When I told Vic Damone's son the story of when my newly wed Mom & Dad meeting him when Mr. Damone was just released from duties in the Arm Services at breakfast restaurant in Seaside Heights, NJ.. He was still in uniform and my mother immediately recognized him and personally Thanked him for his music.

Many decades later Vic Damone called my mother on her 85th birthday and offered his regards. My mother almost fainted.

His son followed that beautiful gesture with autographed CD's. What a great family who provided enormous happiness to mine.

Ridin'High, JohnO, MMM and 25 others like this.
  11. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

12. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

great story. that's how it's done when you actually care about your fans.

Tord, longdist01, Jack Keck and 2 others like this.
  13. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Will be listening to 'Kismet' today.

14. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

Rest In Peace fellow Brooklynite Vic Damone. Wonderful voice thank you for some great music.

MikaelaArsenault and Karnak like this.
  15. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

RIP

peace and love✌Dave

16. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Lovely man. Saw Vic and Regis Philbin having lunch at an outdoor cafe on Sunset Plaza about 10 or 12 years ago. I nodded to Vic as I passed by. They were still at the same table when I was returning to my office and Vic again nodded. I stopped and said " I want you to know that I still play the records!" Vic beamed from ear-to-ear and (quite unexpectedly) got out of his chair and came and shook my hand and thanked me for the kind words. He was an absolute class act all the way around.

He was the first person I saw "live" in Las Vegas. It was 1972 (I was underage!!!) and it was at the Riviera where he opened for Rickles. I barely remember the performance now but I do know that it impressed me enough to buy some of his albums. Dean Martin (part owner of the hotel at the time) was in the audience as well and Rickles ripped him apart mercilessly.

MMM, Tord, Glenn Christense and 9 others like this.
  17. rogertheshrubber

rogertheshrubber Senior Member

Thanks for rec - I'm dialing up the "Linger Awhile" LP on Spotify now.

bozburn likes this.
  18. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

This Game of Love has always been a favorite of mine. Small combo, romantic mood, excellent voice!

19. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Tony Bennett is NOW truly the LAST man standing of the great Italian-American singers.

Damone loved Perry Como so much he named his son Perry who sadly preceded his father in death.

Speaking of Dean Martin when Damone married Pier Angeli James Dean was outside the church revving up his motorcycle. Dean Martin; who was in the wedding party, started for the door of the church with his fist cocked ready to confront J. Dean. Tony Martin; who was also in the wedding party, restrained Dean M. convincing him that that was what James Dean wanted...to make a scene and ruin the wedding.

driverdrummer and paulmock like this.
  20. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

YES! That was very much an "arranged marriage" as Pier was very much still in love with JD. It failed miserably.

21. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Mitch Miller who recorded Damone at Mercury and later on Columbia said the problem with Damone was always convincing him to stop imitating Sinatra and be himself.

Damone's version of "Crazy" on his WB Country album was singled out by Willie Nelson as one of the best versions of his composition besides Patsy Cline's.

It should also be noted that Damone was on practically every major label of his time: Mercury, Columbia, Capitol, Warner Bros. and RCA. The only one he missed was Decca.

bozburn and paulmock like this.
  22. dualstacker

dualstacker Forum Resident

You're welcome. Hope you enjoyed it.

23. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I tend to gravitate to his Columbia period most of the time. And (don't shoot me!) but I actually enjoy his two Jimmy Bowen/Ernie Freeman ("I wanna be like Dean") C&W albums on Warner Bros.

24. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I'm of Italian descent and he's one of the voices I heard growing up in my house. Sadly, all of the classic crooners are passing away. Thank God Tony Bennett is still with us. RIP Mr. Damone

25. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Besides all of his great recordings, he was one of the three main stars of one
    of my all time favorite war films, "Hell To Eternity" from 1960. He played
    the finger snapping swinger GI, with Jeffery Hunter as the American who
    single handedly got the entire (remaining) Japanese military on Saipan
    to surrender. Most importantly, it was a true story, and calls out for a
    remake...(Clint Eastwood, are you listening?).
    [​IMG]
    And here's the trailer if you're interested.....

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Ridin'High and Al Kuenster like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.