Vice: Does Anyone in the World Still Buy CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Robert C, Sep 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Let's just hope your CD player (or players) doesn't stop working in that scenario...

2. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

With deals on cd's I've purchased quite a few used/new ones this year.

Fullbug likes this.
  3. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

OK, fair enough. I read those statements as opinions but I see your point.

I still buy CDs btw :)

Tim

OobuJoobu likes this.
  4. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Something not mentioned yet is the licensing. If you buy a CD you can legally resell it. If you buy a download you can't. So in a sense they are better value. If you buy second-hand it is a no-brainer, since they are mostly cheaper than buying a download, and you can rip them if you want, as well as enjoying the booklet etc.

Tim

The FRiNgE likes this.
  5. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

I will continue to buy cd's, I like having a hard copy.. and as others have mentioned on here, the ability to browse a nice booklet of liner notes with photographs etc... And some discs, especially nice reissues include thick, beefy booklets to peruse through as your enveloped in the sound of the music you love. Rip em' all for backup to external drives and you've got them digital as well. Hell, even when I buy digital, I burn to disc, create artwork and pop it in a jewel case. And I like having my cd shelves stocked, it's a nice piece in my music room and always admired by folks who stop by, they like to peruse the collection.

Vinyl_Blues and FredCamp like this.
  6. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

I am a photographer and I have some expensive cameras and am consistently asked why when "an iPhone does just as good a job"...

This is the same argument...

7. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

I don't want to ruin the episode for you, but at the end, it turns out our entire existence offline and online is just the playback of a circa 1981 RCA video disc being watch by aliens for amusement.

BluesOvertookMe and Fullbug like this.
  8. liboriofriki

liboriofriki Forum Resident

own about 17,000cd's. and still buying... will check on my list on RYM to see how many I have bought this year, sure that i got less than last year... but mainly coz i'm running out of space

raphph and Fullbug like this.
  9. cakeordeath

cakeordeath Forum Resident

I still buy CDs. My buying, however, has been drastically reduced. I will lean towards downloading hires audio, when priced right.

Fullbug likes this.
  10. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

I buy cd's. Don't download at all. The only change to my buying habits is I now buy online since all the good record shops have long
    closed in my neck of the woods.

It's a personal preference. I could care less how others listen to their music.

11. SuntoryTime

SuntoryTime Forum Resident

This.

I did a lot of downloading in the late 90s and 00s, and have since bought physical copies (some no longer in print and not cheap) of the essential stuff. My audio files were never well organized, and sometimes just finding the tracks I wanted was not easy. Or remembering that I had them.

I grew up with physical media. I like LPs and CDs and books. Having them all around me is a pleasure.

If you count the ridiculously cheap Serge Gainsbourg box set, I've acquired 31 CDs this week, and one LP.

Freebird likes this.
  12. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

I do, but only from a key seller who gives screamin' deals.

13. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Stop trying to scare the hell out of us.

Jim B. and Runicen like this.
  14. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

It still makes sense to buy them because they are often cheaper than the digital download. Then I rip them to FLAC with dBpoweramp and store it on my NAS. This gives me the most flexibility in converting to other formats also.

Runicen likes this.
  15. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

These types of articles are the absolute worst. "I don't like [Thing X], so [Thing X] must be terrible and bad. Let's all make fun of people that still find enjoyment in [Thing X]."

16. I love cds; i love Vinyl, i dont do downloads. Cds will keep selling in numbers as will Vinyl. Downloads may well be king for many but not for me

SuntoryTime and RogerB like this.
  17. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

That's the problem - I could see the author being serious... :crazy:

I'm totally nabbing that. Well put.

Steady on now! Buying CDs is one thing, but making mix CDs is so 2002!

Actually... I make them too... :hide:

Wow... I wasn't expecting someone to nail down in words the vaguely unsettled feeling these articles tend to give me so well. Well said.

Turns out Philip K. Dick wasn't too far off when it came to visions of the future. Let these folks plug into their empathy boxes and bask in their own "forwardness."

In seriousness, I was thinking about my own experiences record shopping (which I don't do as much of as I ought since the internet makes it far too easy to never leave the house and still acquire mountains of music). I see tons of people browsing CDs and the majority of them are my age (33) or younger. Yeah, you get the odd silver fox, but it's by no means isolated to retirees and that demographic doesn't even seem to be the majority.

Now, what these folks are listening on is anybody's guess. Probably the digital equivalent of a Crosley. :p

Guy E, SuntoryTime and Boswell like this.
  18. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

It's been a problem on the internet for years, but it seems to be more noticeable of late - earnestness is bad.

Runicen and Boswell like this.
  19. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

I now generally buy CDs once a week (usually via online orders from Amazon, Ebay, Discogs etc).

I buy records on a monthly basis (usually after payday) and occasionally will check second hand shops on my lunch hour.

Don't buy downloads - occasionally buy one song if necessary.

20. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

I always buy cds and vinyl but will burn my cds and most vinyls into my HP hard drive, for storage love me physical media.

Hey... to each their own.

21. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

That's it.

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

What I hardly ever do is buy CDs at retail price. I buy everything used (in very good condition usually) for a few euros or a few centimes + postage.

23. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

24. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

So...congrats for falling for the clickbait, I guess?

25. Now that I can afford it, I wouldn't buy a car without a CD player any more than I'd buy a car without air conditioning.

BluesOvertookMe and Runicen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.