Viciously Expensive Original Now Reissued! Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paully, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum Thread Starter

We have an AAA thread where we track new issues that are AAA. It is a thin thread as one might expect. I just noticed that Toad the Wet Sprocket reissued Fear and Dulcinea and I missed the thread informing us about it. I Would like to have picked them up if I had known, but I didn't and the reissues themselves are now well over $100.

This may be an unworkable idea or there may not be interest but I was thinking about trying a general tracking thread as an aid to Hoffman members that might miss a reissue otherwise. The criteria is simple, a reissue of an album where an on original cost $75 - $100 or more or never before on vinyl. A Beatles album might not qualify as there are many other reissues that can be had cheaply even if an original is $1K but say a hypothetical Alison Krauss reissue of New Favorite, Lyle Lovett reissuing Joshua Judges Ruth, or the aforementioned Toad the Wet Sprocket would.

This wouldn't be the place for commentary on sound quality, pressing, shipping, etc... Just a place to follow and see that a record that was unobtanium a month ago now has an option before it is gone again. That means the thread might be easily forgotten for lack of traffic but otherwise we get cluttered and useless. So here it is, we'll see if it worthwhile.

2. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

King Crimson-In The Court Of The Crimson King

SoundDoctor likes this.
  3. agundy

agundy Forum Resident

Great idea!!

SoundDoctor and Paully like this.
  4. Paully

5. agundy

agundy Forum Resident

Pissed about missing out on the Toad reissues, but I think they were like 60 dollars to begin with:cry:

Paully and Szeppelin75 like this.
  6. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Eels - Souljacker
    Afghan Whigs - 1965
    Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain
    Robert Pollard - Not In My Air Force

DHamilton and Paully like this.
  7. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Yes, this. Couldn't stomach paying that much for the reissues (and it kind of bummed me out). Not sure why they had to be priced so high.

agundy likes this.
  8. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Dido - No Angel
    So I shouldn't comment that it sounds terrible and I wouldn't recommend it? Anyway 1500 copies. There is no original pressing, just the Classic Record re-issue cut by BG. $30 Book-A-Million exclusive.

john lennonist and Paully like this.
  9. Defrance

Defrance A Northern Soul

The Silvertones ‎– Silver Bullets
    Original goes for $100 and never reissued until July's Vinyl Me Please release
    [​IMG]

10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The July album - A very rare British psychedelic 60s album, has been reissued on Music On Vinyl recently and it's a beauty. Complete with original Major Minor labels and glossy sleeve too.

astro70, Clucking, phillyal1 and 2 others like this.
  11. andycherry

andycherry Forum Resident

the breeders’ title tk was insanely priced before it was reissued this year. mountain battles as well. the amps’ pacer was also very expensive.

polchik, Paully and Echoes Myron like this.
  12. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Fotheringay/Fotheringay has just been reissued on vinyl. I’m just going to pick up the Amazon parcel now from my next-door neighbours. Will report back.

13. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Yes, please do.

14. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Playing it now.

Excellent reproduction of the original gatefold sleeve and nice job on the Island pink label albeit with an overprint of the reissuing company's logo.

The pressing is dead quiet but the sonics are coming across as a little dull. However, this is probably my fault as just before it, I was excited to play a newly-acquired copy of John Barleycorn Must Die/Traffic -an original French pressing in as near to mint condition as can be, found on the streets of Nantes for 10€!

A modern record is likely to pale after that.

Onto track three now and I’m warming to it. All detail is there, I just feel it’s a little restrained. It’s certainly lovely to have on vinyl once more.

McLover and Graham like this.
  15. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

The new Title TK sounds incredible. I bought two copies.

hamicle, polchik and andycherry like this.
  16. Paully

Clucking likes this.
  17. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Beck Mutations
    Gorrilaz Demon Days

Paully likes this.
  18. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Recent U2 reissues of 90’s onwards material have helped plug a few gaps at a reasonable price and are great quality too

breakingglass, Szeppelin75 and Paully like this.
  19. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Thanks for posting because I would otherwise have not known about this.

I'd love to see some Kate Bush reissues. Also, a non-pirated and legit repress of the Relatively Clean Rivers album. Originals go for $2k on eBay and the pirate reissues aren't the best quality.

20. culabula

culabula Unread author.

No problem. It’s a fine release. I just got a pair of Revel Performa M22 speakers, so I need to give it a fresh spin.

21. havenz

havenz Forum Resident

Morphine - Yes
    Being reissued this October by Run Out Groove. Original and reissue price at over $80. Bull Moose preorder link.

Great thread idea BTW!!!

22. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

thanks for reminding me about PACER .... i totally forgot 4AD was putting this out this summer !!!!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    hamicle likes this.
  23. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

That's a great album but there was a great Guerssen reissue in 2011. (The same year the also did Rainbow Ffolly)

Carton cover with old- style backflaps, 4 pages insert with photos, linernotes by David Wells and a full-colour reproduction repro of the rare original promo poster.

Man at C&A likes this.
  24. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

"Fixed Water" and "The Infinite Circle" by Sophia will see a 1000 copies each vinyl reissue in December:

Merch from Sophia

Paully likes this.
  25. Paully

That's a new one to me but man the prices on those records certainly meet the criteria. Whew! Downloaded the music so it will be interesting to hear. Very nice contribution, thanks!

Neonbeam likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.